What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old neighbors in another part of town thought I was crazy, standing at the bbq pit with a beer & some tongs. I was barbecuing some ribs in January, during an evening gentle snow fall of big flakes. a quiet night at that. what could be better?:mug:

My old neighbors in another part of town thought I was crazy, standing at the bbq pit with a beer & some tongs. I was barbecuing some ribs in January, during an evening gentle snow fall of big flakes. a quiet night at that. what could be better?:mug:

Im also a fan of hot tub at soup temperatures in the light snow :fro:

Just had the service guy out for our tub. He asked me what temp I wanted it at and I said "Soup." He laughed. I didn't. We compromised. He taught me the secret code to use after he left and I gave him a bunch of beer and promised that I didn't know his name.

I gave up on cooking. Just went to the fish market and bought a box of oysters.

12316581_1095813330462894_745797995099594156_n.jpg

And some damned good french white wine.

12311061_1095874373790123_6906244493780089866_n.jpg

I modified my plan to grill a big steak over embers from a wood fire. I decided to do a reverse sear instead.

I piled the coals on the left 1/4 or so of the grill and choked the vents off so it got down to around 275-300 on the indirect side (verified with an oven thermometer) and I cooked the steak on the indirect side until it got up to around 110F.

Then it was time to do the searing, but the problem was the coals were at a low smolder, and you want a blazing hot fire for that step. Enter the hair dryer. (SWMBO gave me one of her old ones to keep in the basement tool cabinet for those rare occasions when pipes freeze.) Anyway, I put the steak on a piece of foil and loosely covered it to keep ash from landing on it and blasted the coals with the hair dryer. They were blistering hot in no time. I put the steak on the direct side, brought it up to about 125 and pulled it. Perfect medium rare. I'll definitely do that again.

I made 20 pounds of pulled pork BBQ over the past couple of days. 17 hours at 225° F or so. It was gorgeous, but I didn't take any pics because I thought I had gotten kicked off this site. Sorry...

Found these hold outs in the garden. We've already had our first freeze, and today was back into the 50's. Just wondered what might still be out there.

veg.jpg

Thinking about a dill slaw kinda thing. Want to eat these raw, so might grate them all, with some pickles the GF made from garden. I'll see what the kraut smells/tastes like before I add it, never liked any kind of fermented cabbage.

It was over 40°F yesterday. Smoked some St Louis style ribs. Third time using the smoker. Used wood chunks this time to prevent over smoking. The ribs are about an hour from being ready in this photo.

I plan to do eight ribs at a time when they are on sale again.

P1030313.jpg

It was over 40°F yesterday. Smoked some St Louis style ribs. Third time using the smoker. Used wood chunks this time to prevent over smoking. The ribs are about an hour from being ready in this photo.

I plan to do eight ribs at a time when they are on sale again.

How do you like your smoker? I have the same one and have major issues with temp swings.

I have a big batch of beef stew cooking away. Beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic, potatoes, parsnips, carrots. Some homebrew stout... Smells great. Still needs some more time before dinner.

Back