What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jealous because of turkey...

:(

I don't want damn ham on Thanksgiving! It's a travesty!!!

I know what I am cooking this coming Easter... hehhehhehhehhehhehheh...

I want to make duck confit some time...

*drools*

You mean buy it from the store in a can or really make it yourself?

Confit is how the french used to preserve meat for the winter before they had refrigerators. When they killed all the ducks in the autumn, they baked them and collected all the fat. They would pour a layer of fat into a barrel, let it solidify, put a layer of duck legs+thighs there on top, pour another layer of fat, let it solidify, put another layer of duck legs+thighs, etc until the barrel was full. Then they just went to the barrel to dig out a few pieces of meat and a scoop of fat when they wanted a meal. The fat acted as a perfect preservative.

Just layers of cooked meat packed in it's own fat. Because ducks have so much very clean fat, this was possible.

I've been dreaming to get a place where I can raise ducks and make real confit in wooden barrels. Maybe some old Jack Daniels whiskey barrels ;-)

I'm jealous. This is the first year in a while that I didn't smoke a turkey. My wife insists on a huge one in the oven, and with the kids all going back to college on Saturday, two turkeys is just way too much.

How many kids to you have that two turkeys used to be the right amount?

Giblet Gravy

images.001.jpg

images.002.jpg

images.003.jpg

images.004.jpg

images.005.jpg

images.006.jpg

attachment.php

Pastrami hitting the grill. It will take 6 hours or so to smoke it. Then another day in the fridge. The two hours of steaming. Then 15 minutes or so in the oven to crisp us the crust again, then we will eat like kings! (If we don't starve to death first! Lol)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448566755.641053.jpg

Duck legs almost ready to go into the oven to braise for a couple of hours. Leeks, dried cherries, Belgian Dark ale some fresh thyme. Next up getting the root veggies ready to go in to get good and roasted. And brussel sprouts with pears and pancetta...

dinner about 7:30ish.

image.jpg

Spit-roasted turkey for our kindergarten's Thanksgiving party. It came out well, though not quite as tasty as last year's - a bit drier than last year's bird, and paradoxically there were still a few tiny uncooked bits deep in the breast and thighs. I've heard bad things about domestically-raised turkeys in China, and last year's was an imported American bird. Maybe that's the difference.

I took the pics after taking off the foil that wrapped the bird for the first four hours of roasting. Depending on the heat level of the natural wood charcoal at the time, it spent some time on the lower level (you can see where the spit jacks in if you look at the pictures) and some higher - probably 50/50. Once the foil came off, I crisped the skin exclusively at the upper level because there was still some significant heat from the charcoal - some of our pieces of charcoal were as big as my head! From the first two pictures to the third took about five minutes, then I scooped out the coals that were contributing the greatest amount of heat and let it mostly rest on the top rack for another twenty minutes or so before pulling it off for a short rest and carving.

I also made gravy from the drippings from two chickens and the carcass stock of one of them (damn the maid for dumping the second chicken's stock!), plus some quick stock boiled from the turkey's guts. It wasn't on the level of Gavin C's gravy, but it ended up tasting just fine.

Turkey 1.jpg

Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey 3.jpg

That looks good. And a gose sounds pretty good. I will have to put some more of mine in the fridge. I almost forgot I had some around.
The Gose really did a good job of cutting through the rich foods. I think it was a very good choice.

Is it hard to spatchcock the turkey like that. Heard Alton Brown talking about this approach one day on the radio. Something I need to try.

What's in the butter?

That pastrami is looking tasty. I need to get a smoker.

I've done mine this way the last few years, a sharp cleaver and something to drive it, I use a tenderizer, makes short work of it.
Decreases cooking time quite a bit.

I used my herb shears. I need a BIG pair of sharp poultry shears. Turkey took 1:30 to cook, and I probably took it further than I needed to based an temps! I may never cook a round turkey again! Center part of skinned would have crisped up, but I got paranoid and put foil over it. But damn, an hour and a half!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448592161.028631.jpg

I'm jealous because of turkey...

:(

I don't want damn ham on Thanksgiving! It's a travesty!!!

I know what I am cooking this coming Easter... hehhehhehhehhehhehheh...

Pork shoulder and lamb ribs?

You mean buy it from the store in a can or really make it yourself?

Confit is how the french used to preserve meat for the winter before they had refrigerators. When they killed all the ducks in the autumn, they baked them and collected all the fat. They would pour a layer of fat into a barrel, let it solidify, put a layer of duck legs+thighs there on top, pour another layer of fat, let it solidify, put another layer of duck legs+thighs, etc until the barrel was full. Then they just went to the barrel to dig out a few pieces of meat and a scoop of fat when they wanted a meal. The fat acted as a perfect preservative.

Just layers of cooked meat packed in it's own fat. Because ducks have so much very clean fat, this was possible.

I've been dreaming to get a place where I can raise ducks and make real confit in wooden barrels. Maybe some old Jack Daniels whiskey barrels ;-)

.... ..... ....

Damnit. Now have a new cooking goal. Homemade confit. In a barrel, none the less.

We cooked a hop-blueberry compote to go with the cranberry orange rind angel food cake. They played very well together.

No pics, didn't happen.

I used my herb shears. I need a BIG pair of sharp poultry shears. Turkey took 1:30 to cook, and I probably took it further than I needed to based an temps! I may never cook a round turkey again! Center part of skinned would have crisped up, but I got paranoid and put foul over it. But damn, an hour and a half!!
View attachment 318909

Grab a big pair of kitchen shears next time you're at an Asian market. Cheap and sharper than hell.

Makes it very easy to spatchcock all sorts of fowl, including turkeys.

I love how quick and even a spatchcocked turkey cooks.

Grab a big pair of kitchen shears next time you're at an Asian market. Cheap and sharper than hell.

Makes it very easy to spatchcock all sorts of fowl, including turkeys.

I love how quick and even a spatchcocked turkey cooks.

Nothing goes through bird like a good ole pair of tin snips. Especially with goose breasts.

350153.jpg

Well, the turkey turned out excellent, where even the legs were juicy & tender! My PM Irish red, with the extra bittering I feel needs cutting down, went amazingly well with the turkey, stuffing, & this stout gravy my middle son makes at Custom Culinary. Even the Cooper's English bitter, brewed more like a Fuller's ESB, worked well with the stuffing & stout gravy. Not bad with pumpkin & Dutch apple pie either! But the coup de grace was what my middle son did to the candied yams. He drained most of the sauce off them from the butter & sugar after they cooked tender. Then layered the sliced yams in a baking pan with Kraft caramels & topped with mini-marshmallows to bake. OMFG!!! The toasted marshmallows mingled perfectly with the sinfully good caramel sauced yams! Perfect combination I never would've thought of doing. Damn, that was really good! I'm trying to think of a way to work that dish into a pie!...
We baked up some artisan bread rolls to go with dinner, like mini split top loaves. Gonna make a double batch of cheddar bay biscuits for dinner today with a ton of left overs. A stuffed 23lb bird goes a long way. It'll take me till today's dinner to make it all the way around the table once. Still need to get to the home-made cranberry sauce & green bean casserole. As it turns out, we cooked some 11lbs of yams, & a 10lb bag of taters for mash.:mug::rockin:

Did a little somethimg different this year, no turkey

pork shoulder, pulled pork
rubbed it, and injected it
View attachment 319020
wrapped it up, for 12 hours
View attachment 319021
cooked it 180 degrees..
View attachment 319022
ate it
View attachment 319023

Mmm...Bone Suckin' Sauce from my neck o' the woods! Their regular BBQ sauce is awesome on ribs!

Having a leftover sandwich, but out of American cheese and mayo, so added Pimento Cheese to the turkey and dressing Sammie on some kind of energy bread from a Wegman's.

Attachments

• IMG_20151127_125955024.jpg
    IMG_20151127_125955024.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 90
Highly offensive sh1take mushrooms

I have a love-hate relationship with mushrooms.

Sh1take have a wonderful flavor, as do most.

I made a fried beef liver with some fried porcini mushrooms and ate it with a nice chianti. I was fancying myself like Hannibal and ****. And then I wound up laying naked on the floor of my shower trying to vomit my intestines out through my mouth and asking SWMBO to throw more water on me.

Freaky mushroom batch? I tried it again, because I am stupid or something. Porcini and I thought I would die.

Those sh1take mushrooms seem to love me, though.

no leftovers for me since I went non- traditional for Thanksgiving.

Roast beef, Potato leek soup with crispy pancetta. Yellow beans with ****ake mushrooms, onions and red peppers.

mmmmm

DAMNNNN. that roast beef is look'n fine as HELL

perfect color, pink on the inside, it looks mighty juicy.

only thing I would add to that dish is a knife and fork !!!!!!

turkey hash

debone turkey leg, dice the meat
dice a potato
dice an onion

little olive oil, cook the potato, first till tender
add turkey, and onion till onion is caramelized

serve with a couple of fried eggs cup of coffee

Back