What commercial beers are in your 'fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit Discount Liquor over the weekend, new additions are:

Chimay Rouge
Westmalle Tripple
Grimbergen Blonde
Hoegaarden
Sprecher 2006 Barley Wine
Sprecher's 2 new African Brews (can't recall the names)
Sprecher Abbey Tripple
New Glarus Copper Kettle
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Hobgoblin
Lakefront Bavarian Lager
And for SWMBO:
Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
Sea Dog Apricot Wheat

I have Leinie's Big Butte Doppelbock and Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

The Great Lakes tastes alright, if you like hoppy porters, but I've had three or four that were at least as good. The Big Butte doppelbock, by Leinie's is an outright scam. Doppel? I think not! A bock? Ummm.. maybe. It's about 5.7% ABV, IIRC, and pretty damn watery. Yep. Imagine your favorite doppelbock mixed with 70% Budweiser. Very disappointing. And that's turning me off from trying other offerings from other larger breweries. I've been curious about Michelob's(?) chocolate beer that they've been selling in 4 packs, but with the disappointing taste of Leinie's offering, I'm too skeptical to spend the $7 for the 4 pack.

Then again, to my taste, all of Leinie's brews are weak and flavorless, so maybe it's just me. :shrug:

Flying Dog IPA
SNPA
S.A. Cherry Wheat
N.B. Sunshine Wheat
Old Peculiar
Miller Lite (I know, I know....Some habits die hard)
Broken Halo

I have a case of the Sam Adams brewmasters collection, well about 18 of 24 left that was bought by mistake because I asked someone else to see if the distributor had the Long Shot homebrew winners when the truck came to the bar. The driver apparantly doesn't know his beer. The 3 beers in the case are pretty good though. The honey porter I think is excellent, the Black lager is in there too and I like it, Brown Ale not great, but certainly not bad. buying beer by mistake can be good afterall.

I also have some Budweiser and Miller Lite for friends that don't like homebrew, but lately I have been keeping up with the homebrew enough to only drink commercial beer in bars. here is a list of some that I drink in bars though

Great Lakes Burning River
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Sam Adams any seasonal buy white ale
Newcastle (not crazy about it but one of my favorite bars has BMC and Newcastle)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Victory Hop Devil (My favorite commercial beer, but I can only get it in my neighboring state of PA)
Yuengling Lager (also have to go to PA to get)
Almost all West Virginia Brewing Company Beers (my only local micro)
Widmer (can't remember the name of the beer, had one when I was out of town and loved it can't find it locally)

Blue Moon Belgian Wheat (it's aight)
Some German Dunkel i haven't tried yet (too lazy to look)
Trader Joe's Hefeweizen (standard bavarian style)
La Fin Du Monde
***** Creeke (seriously, just had to try it. the description sounded good :D)
PBR (heh)
i think there's more, but i can't remember what and, like i said, i'm lazy

Samual Adams - Hefeweizen
Samual Adams - Black Lager
Thirsty Dog - Russian Imperial Stout
Thirsty Dog - Old Leghumper
Great Lakes Brewing - Dortmunder Gold (always have a 6 of this around)
Blue Moon - Spring Ale (this is some good stuff IMO)
Bud Ice - just about the only en masse BMC that I can drink

Unibroue Seigneuriale
RedBach (Rodenbach + kreik)
Brooklyn Brewery's Local 1
[Aged] Eye of the Hawk
[Aged] Brimstone Big Ale

And lots and lots of homebrew. :D

Yuengling Black & Tan
Harpoon Hibernian Irish Red Ale
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog
LaBatt's Blue Light

Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter, Copper Ale and Pale Ale
Woodstock Inn Brewery Pemi Pale Ale and Loon Pale Ale
Bluegrass Brewing Co American Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale

The last two are from my latest Beer of the Month club selections

I've got 1 bottle of Guinness in the fridge left over from St. Patty's Day, all the rest is HB. Lately when I buy commercial brew I've been buying microbrew sampler packs. I figure it's a good way to try multiple styles to get ideas for upcoming brews without having to pay the high prices for single bottles

Currently: Optimator, Allagash Grand Cru, Franziskaner Hefe, Franziskaner Dunkel (one left), 2 (8) packs of the Unibrou sampler, Bell's Java Stout, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Bell's Best Brown, Wild Goose IPA, Straub and prolly a few others. Mostly just the remains of cases that I bought. I have plenty of homebrew for a while.

Deschutes Black Butte Porter

and a Global Beer sample pack (Belgian Beers) that I haven't tried yet.

It contains 1 of each

Bruegel Amber Ale
Augustijn
Bornem Double
Bornem Triple
Piraat
Gulden Draak

That's an awesome pack. The Bornem Triple, Piraat (of course) and the Gulden Draak are three of my favorite beers. The others are good too, except the amber...which is pretty meh.

i used to get that pack all the time when i wanted friends to sample belgians :D

I've got a pretty good selection right now.

Firestone Double Barrel Ale
Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager
Fullers ESB
Fullers London Pride
Full Sail Session Lager
McEwan's Scotch Ale
Mammoth IPA
Mendocino Red Tail Ale
Spaten Oktoberfest
Trader Joes 2006 Vintage Ale
Trader Joes Hofbrau Bock

Dang. I've been buying a lot of beer. I justify it as sampling to find out what I want to brew and of course collecting re-usable bottles.

Well, the NBA playoffs are underway and my HB is still conditioning, so I'm loaded for bear right now:

Bell's Oberon
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Bell's Best Brown
Bell's Lager (Can you tell I live in Michigan?)
Dogfish Head 60 & 90 min IPA
New Holland Kolsch
New Holland's The Poet
Goose Island Honker's Ale
Stone Smoked Porter
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Strongbow
Dark Horse Raspberry Ale (for SWMBO)
Guinness (also for SWMBO)

Hmm, no wonder I'm broke!

A couple of cases of Leffe and some Firehouse IPA, Duvel, Ommagong, Kuran and some Miller Lite for the people that come over that don't like good beer.:rockin:

Got too much homebrew to be dabbling in commercial stuff too much, but I did just drink the last bottle from my stash that I got up in Brooklyn...yum.

I do have a bottle of Brimstone's Big Ale, which is an Old Ale style, in my fridge, which is, oh, probably 8 years old. I have nearly a case of the buggers. It's interesting with that much age...tasting a little cidery and oxidized, but interesting anyway.

Got a few of Bell's expeditions downstairs too, and I have my cellar case of stuff that I'm aging, but other than that, it's all homebrew, baby.

Current fridge contents:

Three Floyds Black Sun Stout
Southampton Double White
..and the remnants of 1/2 of the Breckenridge sampler case (demoted to guest beer status)

brewt00l said:
..and the remnants of 1/2 of the Breckenridge sampler case (demoted to guest beer status)

Lol, having never had Breckenridge's stuff I am assuming these are guests who have overstayed their welcome? :D

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, having never had Breckenridge's stuff I am assuming these are guests who have overstayed their welcome? :D

lets just say those with "less refined palates" :)

I had high expectations for the sampler pack after very favorable experiences with their small batch IPA and the vanilla porter but all the beers in the sampler are rather bland and just fall short of being really good beer. My local distributor said his wholesaler just started carrying Breckenridge and he had no idea what it was like but he also had fairly high expectations. It's not swill but at the price, there are far better brews goin.

...oh and there are a few stray Dales Pale Ale in there too (at least as of right now, can't say the status will be the same later).

brewt00l said:
lets just say those with "less refined palates" :)

I had high expectations for the sampler pack after very favorable experiences with their small batch IPA and the vanilla porter but all the beers in the sampler are rather bland and just fall short of being really good beer. My local distributor said his wholesaler just started carrying Breckenridge and he had no idea what it was like but he also had fairly high expectations. It's not swill but at the price, there are far better brews goin.
Was their Oatmeal Stout in there? I had one of those a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. SWMBO loves their Vanilla Porter.

Wolf said:
Was their Oatmeal Stout in there? I had one of those a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. SWMBO loves their Vanilla Porter.

It has their summerbright Amer wheat, trademark EPA, avalanche amber and the oatmeal stout. The oatmeal stout is prb the best of the bunch but to be honest, I think they all kinda suck for the price of the case...and their ratebeer ratings reflect that (2.67, 2.85, 2.61 & 3.24 respectively).

1 Orval
1 Rogue Dead Guy bomber
1 HB Cider
1 Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
1 Propellor Revolution Russian Imperial Stout
1 Strongbow
1 St. Ambroise Pale Ale
1 Bornem Double
1 Bornem Triple
1 Piraat
1 Gulden Draak
1 Augustijn
1 Bruegel Amber Ale

We felt like some Belgians.

Bellhaven Scottish ale
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Black Sheep Holy grALE (this will sit a while. probably the dryest beer I have ever tasted)

Costco European beer sampler:

3 hoegaartens
3 stellas
3 leffe blonde
3 becks dark

For about $25

One of the best deals to be had on good beer in Korea :(

DeathBrewer said:
did you get the sampler pack?

If this is aimed at me, yes, I got the van Steenberg "live beers" six-pack. Beer stores around here don't carry many Belgians, so these were all unfamiliar. I'm through them all now, but I'd like to try them again before I make any grand judgments. Still developing my Belgian palate and all.

1 Founders Dirty Bastard
1 Stone IPA
1 Great Lakes Blackout Stout
2 Flying Dog Double Dog
1 Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic (left from a sampler about 6 months ago)

6 Rochefort 8's.:) got the last bit that this area will ever see. Now the key will be to save a few for a while.

Been a while since I chimed into this post last, so figured I'd update my list:

Various Weyerbacher offerings (from their variety case - Hop Infusion IPA and others)
2 Stone AB bombers that are getting old (read: need to drink soon)
6 DFH Aprihop (last of a case)
1 25oz. DFH Black and Blue
1 25oz. DFH Red and White
1 12oz. DFH Worldwide Stout (3-Year Vintage - to be devoured soon)
1 Erie Brewing Co. Railbender Ale
1 Redhook IPA
2 Saranac Adirondack Lager
2 Saranac Pale Ale
1 Saranac IPA
1 Saranac Black & Tan (yes, you guessed it, I had 2 Saranac variety 6ers and finished one - stuff isn't too bad but I've had better - I think I actually like the 'amber' lager best)

I've got a couple of bottles in my fridge since I did not start homebrewing yet!

-Unibroue's Blanche de chambly
-Tuborg
-RJ's tremblay
-Carlsberg
-Kilkenny
-Guinness
-RJ's Blanche du cheval blanc
-Liefman's Frambozenbier
-Rickard's white

Only good stuff...

Home to have some of my own in the fridge in 5-6 weeks. I'll brew for the first time this sunday!

xjiefx said:
Home to have some of my own in the fridge in 5-6 weeks. I'll brew for the first time this sunday!

WooHoo! :D

Just got some Brooklyn EIPA....the style has grown on me....but NO I AM STILL NOT A HOPHEAD :D

Back