What causes strong grass off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I've kegged 4 beers so far and every single one has the same flavor. Grass is literally the best way I can describe it - maybe like hop bitterness but not pleasant, just bitter and vegetable-y. What's the first place to look fixing this? I do 5 gallon BIAB. These brews have been 2 blondes, one IPA, and one NEIPA. I don't have any way to control fermentation temp, just my basement sitting in the upper 60s. Hops varied and weren't from the same bulk order. Yeasts varied too.

My tap water is pretty bad, I don't have a report more recent than 2014. I used it for all but the most recent one, where I did RO plus minerals. I just kegged that batch a few days ago and it's carbonating currently. However, the sample I took yesterday had the same flavor.

"Maybe" acetaldehyde. Usually associated with apple but can be perceived as grassy. Typically gets cleaned up by yeast. How long do you ferment?

Move it to a higher temp for a couple of days when fermentation has slowed down
Maybe 3...
Yeast should clean fine.

does anyone else who tries the brew perceive it to be grassy without you saying so?

my point is, what you think of grassy might be wet hay. Suggesting brett, or pedio.

Latest posts

Back