What brings out your inner-snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjwineaux

Reaction score
We all know 'em, we all are annoyed by them: the know it alls, holyier-than-thous, the picky drinkers

But admit it, we have a little something that we refuse to settle for or will villify at the mere mention of....so what is yours?

people who refuse to try beers other than coors light, bud light, etc.

When I spend $13 on a bottle of Supplication and that biotch of a cashier takes my bottle, lays it on it's side and rolls it down to the bagger. Guess I'm not drinking that bottle today afterall. Snob? Maybe. But ignorance is no excuse.

What brings out my inner snob?
LOL it's when I see those fake cowboys trying to act like they ride bulls or whathave you.
when I was younger, I'd start a conversation (usually at a bar) and put them in their place and embarass them.. Been in a couple fights cause of it, but I haven't lost yet. :D LOL

When I spend $13 on a bottle of Supplication and that biotch of a cashier takes my bottle, lays it on it's side and rolls it down to the bagger. Guess I'm not drinking that bottle today afterall. Snob? Maybe. But ignorance is no excuse.

People who b!tch about what the cashier does with their beer, not even thinking that a 10-20 minute car ride and carrying it into the house is going to shake the **** out of it much worse than she did. :D

30 minutes to an hour in the fridge or cellar and it will all settle back down anyway.

People, like my dad, who don't understand why the original Battlestar Galactica will always be superior to the new version, no matter how well it's done. Come on people, we're talking 1970's TV SciFi! Does it get any better?!!? :rockin:

People, like my dad, who don't understand why the original Battlestar Galactica will always be superior to the new version, no matter how well it's done. Come on people, we're talking 1970's TV SciFi! Does it get any better?!!? :rockin:

In this case, you're dad's right. The new version, rocks! The old version was painful to watch then, and now. Especially the season where they found earth, and played little league. :D

As an American living in Belgium, it thoroughly pisses me off to see a fellow American drink a fine Belgian beer right from the bottle! My boss hosted a New Year's Reception this year and had Westvleteren 12 in his fridge (another thing that bothers me BTW!) and one of my collegues was drinking right out of the bottle! Like it was a Budweiser or something....

In this case, you're dad's right. The new version, rocks! The old version was painful to watch then, and now. Especially the season where they found earth, and played little league. :D

Well, SURE, if you're going to lump Galactica 1980 and that annoying Dr. Z in with the original series!!! ;)

Although, it was nice to see Cousin Oliver getting work as he got older.

Well, SURE, if you're going to lump Galactica 1980 and that annoying Dr. Z in with the original series!!! ;)

Although, it was nice to see Cousin Oliver getting work as he got older.

The hardest part was getting my head around the idea of Starbuck being a girl. But after awhile, I wanted to get my other head into Katee Sackhoff's panties. ;)

The hardest part was getting my head around the idea of Starbuck being a girl. But after awhile, I wanted to get my other head into Katee Sackhoff's panties. ;)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I suspect that the new series is probably better written, has better acting and blows the special effects of the old series out of the water, but, I guess there's just a certain sentimental factor to the old series.

I feel the same way about the old Buck Rogers. I watch it now and think, "Man this is NOT how I remember this," but I still love watching it.

Frosted mugs. I just can't do it. Unless there is a wolf scene on said frosted mug. Then I am OK with it. Or deer. Or dragons. Really, if it has a ridiculous motif and is frosted I will accept it. But otherwise, frosted mugs are probably my biggest snob point.

Frosted mugs. I just can't do it. Unless there is a wolf scene on said frosted mug. Then I am OK with it. Or deer. Or dragons. Really, if it has a ridiculous motif and is frosted I will accept it. But otherwise, frosted mugs are probably my biggest snob point.

+1

Surprisingly a chain restaurant a few years ago had a local micro on tap so I ordered one up and it came in a frosted mug. I cupped my hands around the beer until we got our meal to try my best to bring the temperature down to a reasonable point.

...The waitress looked at me like I was on crack when I asked for the next pint to be in a "non-frosted" glass :D

I also try my best not to say anything when I ask what's on tap and the response is "Oh we've got everything!"...."really? I'll take a rochefort 10 please!"

Hopheads who think that because they drink IPAs that they actually know something about craft beer.

People who b!tch about what the cashier does with their beer, not even thinking that a 10-20 minute car ride and carrying it into the house is going to shake the **** out of it much worse than she did. :D

30 minutes to an hour in the fridge or cellar and it will all settle back down anyway.

Hence the snobbery. Who said snobbery should be legitimate?

Going into a house, any house, and seeing how badly Handy Hank Homeowner F*cked up his electrical trying to do it himself.

What? It's not wrong! It works, doesn't it???? Sigh...........

Some fratty holding forth on how Guinness is really heavy, lagers are always light-colored, or how bitters are, you know, really bitter. I'm fine with people not knowing much about beer; it's the ones that pretend that they know a lot that get on my nerves.

people who microwave any meat product. I'm not talking reheating a meal. I mean using the microwave to cook. "Oh, no thanks. I'm really not hungry right now. I just ate, like, 48 hours ago." if weber started a church, i would surely convert.

And Revvy, with all his useful advice and research data to back it all up. Why you gotta be so darn helpful. give some bad advice already. just once, just for fun.

I know, it really is horrible, but I can't help it....

You're right on about cooking meat in a microwave too.

Another one is people (invariably men), when discussing beer saying "I'm actually a *insert mass produced insipid beer here* man myself", I swear there are guys here in NZ that have never drank anything other than Lion Red.

I know, it really is horrible, but I can't help it....

You're right on about cooking meat in a microwave too.

Another one is people (invariably men), when discussing beer saying "I'm actually a *insert mass produced insipid beer here* man myself", I swear there are guys here in NZ that have never drank anything other than Lion Red.

I feel your pain, and all my co-workers are the same way. As far as the teeth are concerned, i can look past crooked/chipped teeth, but the calcium decay is rough. Three foot buffer zone "bro"

People thinking they are music aficionados who listen to nothing but commercial radio and purchase the crap that is purveyed there.

BMC, fast food, and pop music in it's varied forms; all one in the same.

Some fratty holding forth on how Guinness is really heavy, lagers are always light-colored, or how bitters are, you know, really bitter. I'm fine with people not knowing much about beer; it's the ones that pretend that they know a lot that get on my nerves.

+1

I have the same issue with people and their infinite knowledge of wine. I studied my ass and my palate off to know what I know (which is not everything) and they want to talk about how great last night's glass of mer-lot was even though they prefer pin-not now-r. Classic.

Oh and people that hold the bowl of a wine glass instead of the stem....it's there for a reason - use it.

Waitresses who don't even know the names of all of the beers they sell, or don't even have a list wrote down so I can look at it. Is it so frakking hard?

(BSG reference for the fans. And BTW - The new BSG kicks the old one in the nuts and runs off laughing.)

People who confuse "educate" with "control" really tick me off. I had a friend who always thought he could "educate" his buddies on beer. Well, guess what? They prefer what they're drinking to what you're drinking. If you just want them to sample something and they're actually wanting to do so, then by all means. But this isn't a religion. You don't have to convert people. Sometimes beer snobs get it in their head that their buddies just haven't found the right beer yet, but they did. It's called Bud Light. Stop trying to control your friends' decisions.

I also see this in other places like sex ed. Parents get this idea if we just "educate" more then teen pregnancy and STDs will go away. At this point, the kids know what is going on. In our school district sex ed starts in 5th grade. Teens are STILL getting pregnant and getting STDs, and people act like they just need to "educate" more. All the teaching in the world isn't going to force action on the part of the students. It's just the parents' attempt to blame what they can't control on something other than their kids.

EDIT: Oh, and to toss my 2 cents into the BSG debate, the new series was better from what I saw of it but like the original I lost interest along the way. In the old series, I lost interest at '80. In the new series, I stopped watching some time shortly after them finding the other Battlestar (Pegasus maybe?). I didn't hate it, but I just stopped caring and lost track.

I feel the same way about the old Buck Rogers. I watch it now and think, "Man this is NOT how I remember this," but I still love watching it.

Yeah but Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala, here hotness in those outfits is timeless. Wish I could say the same thing about Erin Grey in there.

Pamela_Hensley.jpg

Mroawr.

people who microwave any meat product. I'm not talking reheating a meal. I mean using the microwave to cook. "Oh, no thanks. I'm really not hungry right now. I just ate, like, 48 hours ago." if weber started a church, i would surely convert.

Over 20 years ago, when I was just out of High School and working in Tv production we did a weekly cooking show, shot in iirc an appliance store, that was all Microwave cooking. And I'm talking roasting a turkey in one, or a potroast, or French Cuisine even. I couldn't believe it. And of course we the production crew got to eat all the food. And it was delicious. It can be done. It's not just "I'm going to put my steak in and nuke it on high for 5 minutes." There were a lot of preliminary steps before the product went it, and there were things you had to do, like take the bird out every 20 minutes and baste it or something.

I'm trying to remember if she browned the meat first, like with roast, or she had a way to do it in there. But it's a lot of work. And as a cook, nothing I would do. I mean if I'm going to brown the meat, then I'm going to cook it my dutch oven that I browned it in anyway.

Yeah but Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala, here hotness in those outfits is timeless. Wish I could say the same thing about Erin Grey in there.

Pamela_Hensley.jpg

Mroawr.

Watch the original opening credits from the pilot movie. Pamela Hensley and Erin Grey and both wearing HOT outfits and writhing around on Buck Rogers letters while the version of Suspension (main theme) with lyrics is playing. You'll likely change your mind about Ms. Grey.

EDIT: Here's a crappy res version. Check it out at 2:08 specifically to see Erin Grey but don't skip over anything to get there.

Watch the original opening credits from the pilot movie. Pamela Hensley and Erin Grey and both wearing HOT outfits and writhing around on Buck Rogers letters while the version of Suspension (main theme) with lyrics is playing. You'll likely change your mind about Ms. Grey.

EDIT: Here's a crappy res version. Check it out at 2:08 specifically to see Erin Grey but don't skip over anything to get there.

Holy Carp!!!!! I forgot about that. That was from the Cinema version, right, not the Tv pilot? IIRC the costumes for both of them were pretty hot.

Don't get me wrong, back in my horny teenage days both of them were stroke worthy. It's just that in the sanitized tv version the costumes that they put her in, even though they were fiiiine then, don't seem to hold up as much as Hensly's stuff still does today.

wilma12.jpg

She looks like she should be wearing rollerskates and being a car-hop in a live action version of the Jetson's Movie.

Speaking of, I think that the tv series is on Hulu. Edit- They must have been on only for a limited run, they're not there any more.

People thinking they are music aficionados who listen to nothing but commercial radio and purchase the crap that is purveyed there.

BMC, fast food, and pop music in it's varied forms; all one in the same.

This, I'm amazed at how much I've seen this throughout my years. Like "Wolfmother are so good man, you ever hear of them"? Yes, they have a platinum album so at least a million people have heard of them.

My inner snob is when people talk about the great food they had at some chain restaurant and how it's their favorite and nothing else can compare. Frankly, I'll take some mom and pop shop over re-heated food with a ton of preservatives that's been shipped across 20 states to get to your plate. Like for instance, everyone loves The Cheescake Factory. There's advertisements in their menu's, nuff said.

Another thing that brings out my snob is when people talk cars. Like for instance, how people rave about how great GMC/Dodge are. I guess they like overpaying for bland and unreliable cars made in Mexico. For me, it's common sense not to enjoy products where you're overpaying for crap, but for everyone else that's snobbery.

People who i title: know nothing know it alls. Please don't give me advice on how to do something i'm liscensed to do when you have never even seen it done. Just because you overheard an industry term on some home improvement show does not make you and expert.

Bartenders who know nothing about the beer they are serving don't bother me. What bothers me is when said bartender starts making recommendations.

We were in a bar that sold Voodoo Brews (from Meadville, PA). My friend Leslie asked me which one she should try and I suggested the Gran Met (a Belgian Strong Ale at 11%). The bartender said "Oh, you'll love it. It's just like Blue Moon." I told him it is absolutely not in any way "just like Blue Moon." He rummaged through the cooler pulling a Blue Moon out and pointed at each bottle. "Look, it says 'Belgian Style Ale' on each." To which I replied "Belgium has the widest diversity of beer on the planet!" Yeah, I came off as a big snob but if I were there drinking Blue Moon and said to him "I love this beer, what else would I like?" and he convinced me to buy a $12 bottle of beer that is nothing like it, I would probably not be too happy.

I guess the thing that bugs me is the endless repetitive recitation of "Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller Light, Coors, Coors light," when you ask what beer they have on tap at some place you've never been to before. Sometimes I've asked them to skip the top half of the list and just tell me what beers they have that noone orders, is at the bottom of the list or that they've never heard of, or not made by Bud, Miller or Coors. Sometimes they are locked in with the rote repetition of the list that they can't do it.

Heck most of the time they never have to go further than bud light and have forgotten what else is on their list.

But sometimes I get lucky and there's something really cool down there, like dead guy (That's how I discovered that for awhile Ruby Tuesday's actually had it on tap) Or at least a Sam Adam's product.

I saw Bud American on the tap list for a restaurant I was at, no micros, so I thought I'd try it. At first the waitress was really confused, didn't know what I was ordering. "You mean Bud Light?" No, right here on the menu. Bud American. "Oh. I think that's Bud Light." No, it's a different beer. So she went back to the bar and asked. Came back and said, "oh, we don't carry that anymore because nobody wanted it." My wife gave me a dirty look and said I was being difficult.

Ordered a Sam Adams because if I can't get a micro, they at least produce something drinkable.

My wife gave me a dirty look and said I was being difficult.

Ordered a Sam Adams because if I can't get a micro, they at least produce something drinkable.

Sometimes I hate going out with "Civilians." We have these reunions for the old college radio station, and inevitably when picking a spot I have little say and we end up at someplace with crappy beers. I suggest a brew pub and they complain because they don't serve booze for mixed drinks, or don't have food there.

And they just don't understand that what I am drinking is a HUGE part of the pleasure of going out for me. I'm not just content with drinking a bud.

It's so much easier when planning stuff with fellow brewers or beergeeks, we name a brewpub, and then decide if we've been to it too much recently and should maybe go to another one instead. Then one of us may profess a craving for a certain beer there. We decide, set a time and show up.

Back