What brewery are you visiting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
857F8A5E-90FD-46B1-B39E-24B850A1912C.jpeg
E34DAB8A-D69E-4BE1-B50B-88E907BCDE8C.jpeg
250FB867-C068-47B0-8276-B9ADE46A9AA8.jpeg
E030617C-8EE1-4CF4-B0EA-D4D3AA5C8712.jpeg

Council Rock Brewery Cooperstown NY - good brews and good food too.

I used to live an hour and a half, or maybe two hours, from Brewery Ommegang. Every fall about this time I'd go there for their Waffles and Puppets event. It was a great show and also a chance to sample and buy some of their rare beers and one-offs, like cave-aged Hennipen, aged for a couple years or more deep inside Howe Caverns. Not sure if they continued that event after the sale to Duval.

I used to live an hour and a half, or maybe two hours, from Brewery Ommegang. Every fall about this time I'd go there for their Waffles and Puppets event. It was a great show and also a chance to sample and buy some of their rare beers and one-offs, like cave-aged Hennipen, aged for a couple years or more deep inside Howe Caverns. Not sure if they continued that event after the sale to Duval.
Right now they aren’t doing tours of the brewery, and unfortunately when I was visiting guided tastings were suspended while a “meeting was taking place”. All the people that I had conversations with seemed pretty knowledgeable about the beer which I appreciated. I was prepared to purchase some of the beers I wouldn’t likely find near home, although a decent selection is always available.
E993C8D4-1CF5-4CF1-9290-142C73E2F10C.jpeg

Red Shed was a stone’s throw from Ommegang so we stopped in for one. A pretty good Hefe would have been better in a proper glass with a nice head, but I’m not THAT much of a beer snob. They don’t brew at that location everyone was friendly and i brought a small growler of their smoked porter all the way home to enjoy, since I was over my self imposed limit already and there would be more beer with dinner.

Last edited:
Right now they aren’t doing tours of the brewery, and unfortunately when I was visiting guided tastings were suspended while a “meeting was taking place”. All the people that I had conversations with seemed pretty knowledgeable about the beer which I appreciated. I was prepared to purchase some of the beers I wouldn’t likely find near home, although a decent selection is always available.
View attachment 832134
Red Shed was a stone’s throw from Ommegang so we stopped in for one. A pretty good Hefe would have been better in a proper glass with a nice head, but I’m not THAT much of a beer snob. They don’t brew at that location everyone was friendly and i brought a small growler of their smoked porter all the way home to enjoy, since I was over my self imposed limit already and there would be more beer with dinner.
I hit all 3 of those breweries in your last few posts in a trip a couple years ago. It was still during covid restrictions, so couldn't drink at Ommegang, but did at the other 2 spots. I remember liking Council Rock, but didn't have a great experience at Red Shed. A friend of the bartender came in, and he seemed almost annoyed that there were paying customers there.

I hit all 3 of those breweries in your last few posts in a trip a couple years ago. It was still during covid restrictions, so couldn't drink at Ommegang, but did at the other 2 spots. I remember liking Council Rock, but didn't have a great experience at Red Shed. A friend of the bartender came in, and he seemed almost annoyed that there were paying customers there.
The bartender that was at Red Shed was attentive and shook every drop of water left behind from rinsing the glass and growler. LOL could you imagine a customer yelling about you left too much water? “I’m paying for BEER NOT WATER!”

Woo! Spent the afternoon day drinking in Birmingham with wife, grandson and his girlfriend. Started at Good People (forgot to take pics!), District Brewing and Cahaba. Looking for a beer to add to my 12BOC23 mailing but nothing really jumped out at me. Guess I'll have to keep on trying!😀🍻
IMG_20231118_143819812_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231118_142840449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231118_133338403.jpg
IMG_20231118_133331232.jpg

Circle and Square Brewery in Oxford, MS. Glad to see they finally got one in this college town (although I'm only here about once a year). Pretty tasty beers, nice venue.
View attachment 837885View attachment 837886
The place looks totally empty and abandoned. I used to pass through Oxford frequently back in the day, and remember it as more of a Mint Julip and Bourbon town rather than beer. Maybe ‘dead’ before New Year’s Eve and Christmas Break at Ole Miss?

Cahaba Brewing, Birmingham, AL
View attachment 841031
While you were there you could have visited Redmont Distillery just across the parking lot. They make an all corn vodka that is unmatched for smoothness with a mellow flavor profile that hints of corn. I love making martinis with it. The honorable Charles Barkley is the owner.

Visited Asheville, NC last summer. Wicked Weed has to be the coolest brew house I've been to. Upstairs room, downstairs, outdoor space. Well done design and great beer + food. Also hit Green Man, Highland, Burial, Archetype and Hi-Wire. I got pics on the phone. May wrangle them to the PC.

Visited Asheville, NC last summer. Wicked Weed has to be the coolest brew house I've been to. Upstairs room, downstairs, outdoor space. Well done design and great beer + food. Also hit Green Man, Highland, Burial, Archetype and Hi-Wire. I got pics on the phone. May wrangle them to the PC.
Wicked Weed is great, as is their beer. The whole beer scene is quite robust in Asheville. We spent a very enjoyable week there last summer at an AirB&B in the mountains just outside of town, away from the hustle and traffic of town.

Down in Tennessee outside of Knoxville visiting my in-laws. Fortunately they are game for hitting as many breweries as possible. Aside from the pictured Xul, which is easily the highlight so far, we also hit Next Level, Schulz Brau, Monkey town, and Orange hat. The meadery is walking distance from my wife's uncle across state lines in Robbinsville, NC.
Edit to say that this isn't my first time down here, have been to many other breweries, just tried to stick to new ones this time.

image000000 (1).jpg
PXL_20240316_191059254.jpg

Last edited:
D3884365-8D6B-4076-9E5D-470449FD6177.jpeg
84677A60-7D75-492F-A794-DF5D544EEB25.jpeg
02C572FF-480A-4C9B-BD57-430F73C506F3.jpeg

Freedom Brewery, Holbrook NY. This is located in an industrial area pretty much across the street from Spider Bite. It’s small and the door is around the back. Follow the signs when they’re open. Tasty beer small but adequate tasting room. There’s even a speak easy covered “peep hole” on the door, but you don’t need a password to enter. 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back