Visiting Koln in June -- What Brewery or Breweries are Must Sees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I are visiting Europe this Summer and will be in Koln for one day and night. This is not a beer trip per se, but my wife knows that I really want to visit a brewery or breweries in Koln for Kolsch while we are there. Any suggestions for must see breweries or tours? Thank you.

I would say this definitely depends on what you want in an experience and what you like in a kolsch.

Reissdorf was both the best beer to me and the best vibe as a place. The beer was extremely balanced and flavorful. Malt forward and bready with a firm bitterness to even it out. A little fruity but mostly clean to me. I never got tired of drinking it. They have a restaurant that's a bit outside of altstadt and is much more cozy and low profile than the big beer halls. It was more of a neighborhood joint. Still very gorgeous and elegant inside.

Paffgen was also relatively low key at least when it wasn't peak hours. They are also a little ways away from the dom, closer to Reissdorf, and so also not nearly as touristy. People were there just reading books or hanging out. I'm sure it amps up during really high volume times. It's also definitely a little more old school and grungy. Not gross or anything but more beer hall leaning than Reissdorf. The beer was less rich and flavorful to me than Reissdorf but it was very light, well-balanced, and easy to drink. Maybe a little sweeter with more hop character pushing through. I could sit there and drink a few, for sure.

Peters is still off the dom some but in a different direction. It's more of a beer hall for sure. Very pretty and was still relatively relaxed with families eating dinner and enjoying their drinks. A little busier and would probably be very bustling during peak hours. The beer was thinner and more hop and ester forward. That's in comparison to the others above, though. It wasn't thin by any means and hop and yeast character was still restrained. Very crisp and very drinkable. Similar to Paffgen above I would definitely go back again.

Fruh has a very pretty beer hall right on the dom. It felt the most touristy to me, though, and I honestly didn't love the beer. That might just be my taste, though. It was more minerally and salty and was light but didn't feel as crisp. It was pretty bitter in a way that didn't feel cohesive with the rest of the beer to me too. Having said that, I still got a second one and I enjoyed it. The beer was good and well executed. It was just not my favorite and the place was not my particular vibe. If you're looking for a nice, big beer hall where you can step outside and see the dom then this is a good candidate, though.

Gaffel also has a beautiful beer hall. I can't speak to the beer on tap there because we went even during relatively off hours and it was still totally packed. We walked through and couldn't even find a spot at all. We left with the idea of going back but it just didn't happen. If you can find a time, maybe lunch, where you can find a seat then I bet it's worth a visit. The place was big and very pretty. My experience with Gaffel at other places around Cologne, and in bottles around Chicago, it's smooth, crisp, and very drinkable with a little more hop character and pretty noticeable esters. Tasty, but not necessarily special or something I would personally say you specifically need to seek out as a top-tier kolsch. If you want a pretty beer hall and a tasty beer then Gaffel am Dom is a good candidate. You walk out the front door and it's just...cathedral!

Bonnsch is just a bonus if you happen to be going to Bonn on the trip. It's a beautiful space and the food is very, very well done too. The beer is more unique with its own Bonn twist. Their Bonnsch/Kolsch is very lemony almost to the point of feeling like a shandy. It was also very creamy and a little cloudy with a noticeable yeast profile that played well with the lemon and made for a very interesting beer. It would be a beautiful beer to drink during the summer. They are also less bound by tradition so they will have at least a couple other beer styles on tap. I had a pretty tasty pils and I think a pale ale as well while I was there. They brew a variety of other styles too including an alt :) Definitely a jewel of Bonn. If you need an excuse to get your wife to Bonn then the botanic garden is also really beautiful. They even have a couple Giant Sequoias. They also have a blossom street that is probably still very pretty in the summer (Kirschblute), a Japanese garden, and some very pretty hikes just south in Konigswinter.

If you have questions or are going anywhere else nearby just let me know. My one plug would be for Koblenz, though it's a bit far. It is absolutely amazing and would be a wonderful summer day trip or longer. Nice little mid-sized city with gorgeous views and a rich, interesting history. A beautiful old cemetery, super interesting fort, and some wonderful hikes with amazing castle views. The altstadt is not too crazy and the eck is pretty and has a lift that can take you up to the ehrenbreitstein fort.

Since you only have one day and will probably visit the cathedral, two that are very close and on opposite sides of the Dom are Fruh and Gaffel. My favorite, however, is Mühlen Kölsch which is a bit of a hike at Brauerei zur Malzmühle, Heumarkt 6, 50667 Köln.

Since you only have one day and will probably visit the cathedral
Oh crap, I missed the one single day part. Probably Fruh and Gaffel in that case. If he wants to go a little west then it opens him up to Paffgen and Reissdorf. He's got to go to the cathedral though!

My favorite, however, is Mühlen Kölsch which is a bit of a hike at Brauerei zur Malzmühle, Heumarkt 6, 50667 Köln.
Seconding Muhlen too. I didn't make it to their place but even out of the bottle it was a head above many others.

I will defer to Eliastheodosis' excellent review of the different breweries, but will add that I have been to Koln several times, usually in May, and have often gone to Fruh (close to my hotel) and Peters (for the ambiance). Sitting outside in the late spring sipping a Kolsch for me, is part of the experience more than being in a beer hall, so I would suggest that you consider that option as well. Since you said that you would be here in June, you may find these places quite busy in the evening and it may be difficult to get your first choice, so prepare to be flexible as to where you can find seating.

I had a similar experience to Passedpawn, when I had a brain cramp, and asked my server at Peter's which was his favorite Altbier. He laughed and said, "we don't drink Altbier". When I was Dusseldorf, I was told that after they went to the urinal, the drainage was used for Kolsch. It's quite the rivalry!

Just a little side note... The Köbes (the guys or sometimes girls that serve beer) are notorious for being cold/rude, don't be offended. In fact, just laugh along and take it in stride.

1682686012369.png

I also found the locals to not be particularly easy to approach, especially if your German is limited. Again, don't take it personally.

Just a little side note... The Köbes (the guys or sometimes girls that serve beer) are notorious for being cold/rude, don't be offended. In fact, just laugh along and take it in stride.

View attachment 818701

I also found the locals to not be particularly easy to approach, especially if your German is limited. Again, don't take it personally.
Much the same in Düsseldorf, and yet I find that style of personal interaction to be oddly ‘comforting’. It’s not unlike the ethic in the upper mid-West of the U.S. of my youth. Kinda’ like the “Iowa Stubborn” in Meredith Wilson’s “The Music Man.”

There was a Kobe at an outdoor bierstube that I often frequented in Düsseldorf who had facial features of respressed-expressive DNA, that reminded me of our proximity to the Neander Valley. I could never tell if he was resentful of my butchered German, but he did have the appearance and personality of a ‘Caveman Waiter’.

Your bill will be recorded by check marks on your coaster. When finished, place your coaster on top of your glass. Otherwise, an empty glass will always be replaced with a full one with no questions asked.
Learned that the hard way on my first visit. For the life of me I couldn't believe that I didn't have to ask for another beer, assuming that the Kobe must be psychic. After 4 or 5 biers, I had pretty much lost count and hadn't yet 'broken the code' as to what all those hash marks were on my coaster. Stupid American! By the time I finally figured it out, I couldn't tell a Deutch Mark from a lederhosen, nor did I much care.

Your bill will be recorded by check marks on your coaster. When finished, place your coaster on top of your glass. Otherwise, an empty glass will always be replaced with a full one with no questions asked.
If you order food, they also put the cost of your meal on the coaster. So, after a business trip, I saved the coaster and stapled it to my expense report as the receipt. It was accepted by the accounting folks!

Thanks to everyone for the tips. As it turned our, out river cruise boat was only in Koln for 4 hours (from 8 a.m. to Noon) on a Sunday. As a result, I did not have a lot of free time to check out all of the suggested spots. However, I did hit Fruh when it opened at 9:30 a.m. for a few beers and then Gaffel shortly after it opened at 10 a.m. I liked both beers, but found the Gaffel beer to be a bit more complex and hoppy. The Fruh tasked like a refreshing, clean, crisp pilsner.

The waiter at Fruh was very nice and explained up front that they would normally keep bringing beers to us until we put the coaster on top of our glass, but that he would ask us first because we were tourists. However, the Gaffel waiter was no nonsense. When six of us arrived, he said "six beers?" We said no, four beers and two cokes. He responded, "so six beers then." We repeated, no, four beers and two Cokes to which he replied, "so, six beers and two Cokes then." We gave up and said sure, six beers and two Cokes. He then kept bringing more beers as soon as our glasses started to get low.

Overall, we had a great, but brief visit to Koln. Thank you again for all of your sugggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the tips. As it turned out, out river cruise boat was only in Koln for 4 hours (from 8 a.m. to Noon) on a Sunday. As a result, I did not have a lot of free time to check out all of the suggested spots. However, I did hit Fruh when it opened at 9:30 a.m. for a few beers and then Gaffel shortly after it opened at 10 a.m. I liked both beers, but found the Gaffel beer to be a bit more complex and hoppy. The Fruh tasked like a refreshing, clean, crisp pilsner.

The waiter at Fruh was very nice and explained up front that they would normally keep bringing beers to us until we put the coaster on top of our glass, but that he would ask us first because we were tourists. However, the Gaffel waiter was no nonsense. When six of us arrived, he said "six beers?" We said no, four beers and two cokes. He responded, "so six beers then." We repeated, no, four beers and two Cokes to which he replied, "so, six beers and two Cokes then." We gave up and said sure, six beers and two Cokes. He then kept bringing more beers as soon as our glassed started to get low.

Overall, we had a great, but brief visit to Koln. Thank you again for all of your sugggestions.
Gotta love Kobes!

Back