What Breweries to Visit While in England?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissaBrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all! Been a while since I've posted anything but I have an important question for my trusted HBT community!

I am heading to Manchester England at the end of December and am trying to figure out what breweries I should check out! I love Black Sheep (in Yorkshire) but I am wondering what is out there that I need to see and more importantly drink!

Thank you travelers!

-WissaBrewGuy:mug:

I've subb'd to this thread because I'm heading to Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland in 2018, and I want to prep now! I'm most interested in the "neighborhood pubs" that also have cask ales.

Your question should be "What Breweries to visit whilst in England?";)

@black island brewer you are wayyy ahead of me. Good work there you'll have a great plan I'm sure. Ive been to Manchester before and you will find plenty of small pubs (everyone has their "local").

@black island brewer you are wayyy ahead of me. Good work there you'll have a great plan I'm sure. Ive been to Manchester before and you will find plenty of small pubs (everyone has their "local").
Yeah, I like to have something to look forward to! But as I've looked online, the only things that have popped up, for the most part, are historic pubs that have gone hipster. So I may just have to get all my tips from the locals.

Not been to manchester much recently apart from a weekend a month or two ago, so these links might help you, although ratebeer will obviously rate new stuff better even if it isn't and will rate barrs/pubs with more taps as better even if they aren't, but should be a good guide

https://www.ratebeer.com/beermap?p=0&z=11&lt=5348139&ln=-223318

This shows some (most?) of the breweries in the area, so keep an eye out for those local brews. Most breweries in the uk aren't set up for visits like they are in the us, they tend to just supply the trade

http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/showmap.php

The family run traditional breweries in/around manchester are Holts, Hydes, JW Lees and Robinsons. You may or may not like these breweries beers, I dislike Robinsons a lot for example with the exception of one or two of their beers. Holts make a nice mild iirc.. They should have links to their tied pubs on their websites

Do check out the Marble Arch pub and drink some marble beers - I think they are back on form after a bit of a dip

For newer breweries, everyone seems to rate Cloudwater really high, unlike most new breweries they had a lot of money behind them and have a very good cultivated image. Some of their beers are very very good so worth keeping an eye out for them

If you like Tankanova Pilsner Urquell, then make sure you go to Albert's Schloss, it's a great new bar that I went into on my last visit

Back