What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently reading Gail z Martin - War of Shadows and Bernard Cornwell - The Fort that's not work related.
Just finished Wildcrafter brewing and Brew like a Yeti, fantastic books.

Still tearing through Dresden Files books myself. About halfway through Small Favor (book 9? 10? somewhere in there)

Finished up The True Bastards by Jonathan French about a week and a half ago. Book 2 of three in the Lot Lands series. No clue when book 3 comes out, but I really, really enjoyed the first two. Downloaded a couple of his other books to my kindle to read in between Dresden books.

Finished book 5 of a song of ice and fire.

Now, like everyone else, I'm left hoping he doesn't die beefier finishing the series.

Do you think it will end similar to the HBO series? I felt betrayed by the final episode. If I had dedicated as much time reading the books, and he ended them as the series ended, I'd stage some sort of protest involving fire.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before (not sure), but if you love sailing adventures, this book is amazing:
51qsjBeBT-L.jpg

Absolutely outstanding book. Truly a time of Iron Men and Wooden Ships. And speaking of Iron Men, "Undaunted Courage" was enough to inspire me to a two year journey retracing the steps of Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. I've been to every one of Earth's continents except Antarctica, and nothing else even comes close to the experience of rediscovering America. Stephen Ambrose has always been one of my favorite historian/authors ("D-Day", "Band of Brothers", "Nothing Like It in the World").

Do you think it will end similar to the HBO series? I felt betrayed by the final episode. If I had dedicated as much time reading the books, and he ended them as the series ended, I'd stage some sort of protest involving fire.

I haven't seen the series. I've heard everyone hates the ending.

Apparently Martin has said that was AN ending, but not necessarily the one he envisioned for the books.

I've kinda put reading the rest of the books on hold after the HBO series.

I have 4 currently:
1. Building skin on frame boats
2. How to Brew
3. The home brew recipe Bible
4. Moby Dick

Morris's Skin on Frame Boats is on my wish list. (My wife may have already bought it for me) How do you like it? Do you plan to build one? I own two Folbot skin on frame folding kayaks.

I'm also reading a few good ones: Churchill; Walking with Destiny, which is 1000 pages of not very quick reading, but very interesting. The Sea and Me by H Barton is small fun and quick with each chapter telling the story of a different boat and cruise. I recently finished an unusual book online: Between the Lines of Drift by Eric Rudolph. He is the confessed and imprisoned Centennial Park bomber. The book is very interesting on several bases. As nonfiction crime literature it is a first hand account by the perpetrator. He does not deny his crimes, and gives detailed accounts of how he committed them and why, even his feelings at the time. I think it should be required reading at the FBI Academy. He also details how he survived on the run in the wilderness for five years, which is interesting to outdoors-men as well as law enforcement. I found the book fascinating, partly because I have pursued and arrested murderers.

Morris's Skin on Frame Boats is on my wish list. (My wife may have already bought it for me) How do you like it? Do you plan to build one? I own two Folbot skin on frame folding kayaks.
@JohnSand, it's really good. Has some interesting historical information along with very detailed building instructions and plans. If you want to build a skin on frame boat,I think this is the book to get. I've read several other similar books, and while they were interesting, they did not have the same level of detail, quality of instruction, and quality of craftsmanship that Morris has.
Building a Greenland style skin on frame kayak has been on my bucket list for about a decade now. I've built myself the paddle, but haven't gotten around to the boat yet. Part of my problem I think is that I have a boreal designs Ellesmere, and it paddles so well I just can't imagine not paddling in it.
One of these days.

Confession: I already own eight boats. Qualifier: Five of then fold up, and seven are 17' or shorter. Part of boating and boatbuilding is dreaming and planning. I must have at least 50 books on design and construction, but I've only built about 5 boats, all modest, some quick and dirty. Keep dreaming! (In a good sense) and if you want a quicker build, look at Dave Gentry's designs. Launching and sailing a boat I built was on of my best days.

Absolutely outstanding book. Truly a time of Iron Men and Wooden Ships. And speaking of Iron Men, "Undaunted Courage" was enough to inspire me to a two year journey retracing the steps of Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. I've been to every one of Earth's continents except Antarctica, and nothing else even comes close to the experience of rediscovering America. Stephen Ambrose has always been one of my favorite historian/authors ("D-Day", "Band of Brothers", "Nothing Like It in the World").
Hang on...you did a two year Lewis & Clark route? More details please!

Confession: I already own eight boats. Qualifier: Five of then fold up, and seven are 17' or shorter. Part of boating and boatbuilding is dreaming and planning. I must have at least 50 books on design and construction, but I've only built about 5 boats, all modest, some quick and dirty. Keep dreaming! (In a good sense) and if you want a quicker build, look at Dave Gentry's designs. Launching and sailing a boat I built was on of my best days.
Lol. That's a nice collection of boats. I'll definitely do it at some point. I know the satisfaction of traveling in a craft that you built yourself, and would love to experience that getting on the water too. Thanks for the suggestion of Dave gantry. I'll have to check out his designs.

Damn, Im a sailor and have owned/sailed many boats, but have had no desire to build one (at least not anything bigger than a dinghy). I get frustrated enough with just keeping up with maintenance on larger boats.

It is however new dinghy time for me as my current de-flatable RIB is at the end of its service life. Im actually considering building a Ripple 3.2 by Spirited Designs.

https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/inc/sdetail/3_2m_ripple_tender/783

About 80 hours of estimated build time using their kit.

The ones I have built have all been small sail, paddle or row boats. I dreamed of building a cruising boat most of my life, but I met a couple of guys who spent decades doing just that. They built amazing sailboats, but had only a few years left to use them.

The ones I have built have all been small sail, paddle or row boats. I dreamed of building a cruising boat most of my life, but I met a couple of guys who spent decades doing just that. They built amazing sailboats, but had only a few years left to use them.

Yes, thats a common story. More common is boats that are never finished. Building a larger cruising boat is a huge undertaking...very few are ultimately successful.

After reading all of the posts about sailing and books about boats I neeeeed to get on the Pacific Ocean soon on a sailboat!!!

Realized it’s been way too long.

Fair winds and calm seas my HBT friends. [emoji482]

https://www.amazon.com/Moonwalking-Einstein-Science-Remembering-Everything/dp/0143120530

Really interesting book on memory competitions and memory palaces. I was introduced to the concept by The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci by Jonathan D. Spence, but while the memory palace concept and the history of a 16th century European in China were interesting, it didn't really give much of a practical walkthrough of how memory palaces work. This one contains plenty of journalism on the subculture of memory athletes, but also gets more practical in helping one to understand how to build your own memory palace, which is fun and potentially useful.

Interestingly, this is the second book in a row that has mentioned a certain anecdote from Augustine's Confessions which apparently records the concept of reading silently for the first time in western history. Funny how you can not know something one day and then it jumps on you twice in a few weeks.

Hang on...you did a two year Lewis & Clark route? More details please!

Oh, yeah....

It was the journey of a lifetime. We live on the East Coast, so it was the natural place to start. Merriweather Lewis was an aide to Thomas Jefferson, and Jefferson sent him to Monticello to study with some of his science and academic associates, then to Philadelphia to study botany, geology and Earth sciences, and finally to Pittsburg where the boats were manufactured and outfitted before the the expedition even started. So we started there, traveling down the Ohio River on backroads, stopping at many places where they stopped along the frontier. Past Louisville and Paducha to the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi, up river to St. Louis and the Missouri River where they wintered over. Then up the Missouri all the way to the headwaters and the Missouri Breaks in Montana, across the Bitteroots and down the Columbia River to the sea. It took the Corps of Discovery over two years, but when we did the journey we broke it down into three travel seasons of one two months each retracing their adventures. All told we spent 4-5 months dedicated travel on the Lewis and Clark Trail.

There's a tremendous wealth of information both online and in books to fill in the epic story, and many more places of interest and things to do and see along the way that are not strictly tied to Lewis and Clark. About the only portion we didn't retrace was a twenty mile stretch of single-lane unimproved 'road' across the Lehmi Pass in Idaho. If we'd been in an ATV rather than an RV we might have tried it, since there's a lot of historical significance to the site, but discretion proved to be the better part of valor. There's much, much more to the tale, but I would probably end up writing a book, and this IS a Beer forum and not a travel log.

Retirement is wonderful when you have the time and means to immerse yourself in an adventure like this. The only real downside is the extended time away from home base, because you end up having to BUY beer instead of brew it!

Brooo Brother

Oh, yeah....

It was the journey of a lifetime. We live on the East Coast, so it was the natural place to start. Merriweather Lewis was an aide to Thomas Jefferson, and Jefferson sent him to Monticello to study with some of his science and academic associates, then to Philadelphia to study botany, geology and Earth sciences, and finally to Pittsburg where the boats were manufactured and outfitted before the the expedition even started. So we started there, traveling down the Ohio River on backroads, stopping at many places where they stopped along the frontier. Past Louisville and Paducha to the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi, up river to St. Louis and the Missouri River where they wintered over. Then up the Missouri all the way to the headwaters and the Missouri Breaks in Montana, across the Bitteroots and down the Columbia River to the sea. It took the Corps of Discovery over two years, but when we did the journey we broke it down into three travel seasons of one two months each retracing their adventures. All told we spent 4-5 months dedicated travel on the Lewis and Clark Trail.

There's a tremendous wealth of information both online and in books to fill in the epic story, and many more places of interest and things to do and see along the way that are not strictly tied to Lewis and Clark. About the only portion we didn't retrace was a twenty mile stretch of single-lane unimproved 'road' across the Lehmi Pass in Idaho. If we'd been in an ATV rather than an RV we might have tried it, since there's a lot of historical significance to the site, but discretion proved to be the better part of valor. There's much, much more to the tale, but I would probably end up writing a book, and this IS a Beer forum and not a travel log.

Retirement is wonderful when you have the time and means to immerse yourself in an adventure like this. The only real downside is the extended time away from home base, because you end up having to BUY beer instead of brew it!

Brooo Brother
Cool stuff. Post here when you write the book. The impact of their explorations was huge...might be an interesting book theme...like Blue Latitudes that I posted above.

Oh, yeah....

Brooo Brother

Shotgun next trip. Quite epic.

Cool stuff. Post here when you write the book. The impact of their explorations was huge...might be an interesting book theme...like Blue Latitudes that I posted above.

As luck would have it, the very last night of our journey we were staying at a resort near Old Williamsburg, VA, and one of the activities that night was a small audience presentation of "An Evening with Merriweather Lewis" done by an historic re-enactor in full period costume and speech patterns. Talk about coincidence.

The 'actor' was actually an historian who had written about Lewis. After about an hour of his presentation he solicited questions from the audience as if it were a press conference. His knowledge of Lewis was encyclopedic. After his presentation my wife and I approached him and related our 3 year odyssey. We talked to him for probably a half hour. He had some truly fascinating insights into Lewis' suicide which he backed up with a number of historical facts and supporting research.

A great evening and the perfect, unexpected coda to a remarkable three years.

Brooo Brother

I first read the short story, "To Build a Fire", as a high school sophomore. Some 55 years later I still remember the profound effect it had on me, and my ensuing love of American fiction literature.

Jack London, Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, James A. Michener, Ernest Hemingway..... Giants, all!

Back