What beers have you poured out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Adams Irish Red:
A friend said this stuff was great, that I should buy as much as I can it's so good. LIAR!!! I gave away 6 and dumped 2 that I had poured into the big boy glass(1/2 yard). Awful.

I haven't had it, and while I can imagine it being nothing too special, I can't imagine that it is nasty.:confused:

I sent back a Blue Moon 10 years ago b/c it tasted like soap. It was my first BM. I then sent back the replacement and asked the bartender for an apology for serving that filth.

I am currently choking down a homebrew. Saaz IPA, 6+ ABV%. No fancy grain bill. It's young, so I won't dump it, but something needs to change for me to drink this with a smile. Too much saaz = weirdness.

My batch may have been bad or something, but that stuff was just bland with a burned tire aftertaste. To me, it was awful. To someone else, maybe not.

May have been a bad batch, but I bought a 6-pack of Flying Dog pale ale, and it was godawful. Tried to pawn it off on one of my brothers, and he wouldn't drink it either. Nas-tay.

Also dumped a geuze from Lindemans. :drunk:

May have been a bad batch, but I bought a 6-pack of Flying Dog pale ale, and it was godawful. Tried to pawn it off on one of my brothers, and he wouldn't drink it either. Nas-tay.

Also dumped a geuze from Lindemans. :drunk:

Their pale ale is mediocre, but the Double Dog Double Pale Ale is fantastic.

Coors, neighbor years ago recieved about 10 free cases. It was skunked, we drank one and shot the other 10 cases. Great fun with a shotgun.

I know a lot of people enjoy it but I just couldn't stomach Rogue's Chipotle Ale - for me, all I could taste was adobo, bletch!

More painful than that was my 2nd ever batch - an Irish Red Ale. It must have gotten infected because they became gushers and tasted basically like cidery hot @ss. Of course, opening them in the back yard and watching them gush one to three feet out of the bottle was kinda fun. I found a couple buried in the fridge several months later and they still tasted like butt, so no loss there.

Leinenkugel's sunset wheat... tried drinking it multiple times but always end up pouring it out. I would rather drink a BMC than drink this ****.

Lastly, there is the batch of Gruit ale I made.... yarrow does not belong in beer. Yuk.

That beer is AWFUL. Tastes like Froot Loops. Can't stand it.

I've never really poured one out. I'm pretty staunch about
not accepting it unless I'm going to drink it. And I usually
drink it even if I don't like it because I probably paid $8 for it.

I had this one Rauchbier that I couldn't keep down. It tasted
JUST like a slim jim infusion.

My buddy had the luck of spilling that **** on himself.

Ugh.

Edit - Just remembered, also DFH Festina Peche. Tastes like
bile. Gave that one away to my friend that will drink ANYTHING.
Oh re-edit, my GF just informed me that HE poured it out.

great thread.

not just because so many of you dislike beers that i like, but because it highlights the huge range of tastes out there. i love sharing a pint of something i am ambivalent about (i don't really hate any beers) with someone who loves it, it usually gives me a new appreciation for something i took for granted.

I say this at every opportunity, and surprisingly few people have disagreed with me. DFH120.

i RESPECTFULLY disagree. we all have our palettes, and i'm sure mine is no more refined than yours, but i really enjoy dfh120. cheers!

edit: i almost forgot! the beer i dumped sat in secondary for several months while i waited to get to it. it was a heather ale, and by the time i got to it the vodka had completely evaporated from the airlock. a sample as i transferred to the keg let me know that something was seriously wrong, very sour and "winey." i still gave it a chance, chilled it and carbed it and tried it several times after that. my friends and i called it the "accidental lambic" with a heavy dose of tongue in cheek. but it was undrinkable to our tastes, and in the end it went down the drain.

lesson learned, keep an eye on that airlock!

Only beer I poured out that I can remember was a local brew at a hoity toity restaurant with the inlaws. Just my luck, the normally delicious Wasatch 2002 (now called Evolution Ale) was way bad at this place and literally tasted like the contents of a garbage can just before pickup.

I asked for a replacement and the 2nd tasted the same. So both were tossed.

And once a few summers ago, I had a couple 1554's from New Belgium Brewery that tasted quite like nail polish. I did finish those since I was already three beers into it at that point...:drunk:

Dogzilla Black IPA dumped with anger. Like dark beer! Love IPA's! They put them together and created a dark sour ale. WTF? Misleading and disgusting.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Lagunitas Under Cover Shut Down Ale

High IBUS and alcohol don't mean high quality or flavor. Both were offensively bitter and alcoholic. I didn't think there was anything of any value.

I would not dump the Ommegang Choclate Indulgence...but I too would never pay over 10$ for that kind of beer...It was a bad balance of hops and chocolate...No fine flavors came through.

I would dump a Sam Adams Utopias in the toilet for the sake of rebellion. The price is absurd.

I have what has often been referred to as a "cast iron stomach." If it's beer, or fairly close, I can drink it. No matter how terrible, skunky, or flavorless a beer is, I simply refuse to pour it out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy BMC anymore unless funds are really tight. If I'm at a party, a bar, or other social event where BMC is all that's available, I'll drink it without complaint. I try not to be a beer snob, so I just think of it as "getting back to my roots."

The one and only time I've refused to drink beer was "B to the E," Budwiesers attempt at an energy beer. A friend of mine used to swear by this stuff. "Drink a few before you go out," he'd say, "it tastes great, and it'll keep you up all night!"

Wrong on both counts. Seriously, take a large glass. Pour in about 4 ounces of Bud, and add in an entire can of Redbull. Then, with bucket, toilet, sink, or other vomit receptacle nearby, drink it. This truly is a beer for the masochist. I bought a 4-pack of cans (16 oz each, I believe) and poured out three and a half of them. I just could not force myself to drink it, no matter how hard I tried.

So, have you ever found beers that you simply cannot bring yourself to drink? Was it a homebrew that turned out terrible, or store-bought? Tell your horror stories here.

:mug:

A couple of years ago, when I was in college, we found a deal at a liquor store for flats of these bud energy drinks for $10/24 16oz cans. Knowing what we were probably up against, we bought several flats and drank these for several weekends. They were disgusting, but, being in college, my ability to tolerate bad beer was inexplicably strong. I don't think I could do it again.
I definitely wouldn't feel I got a good deal again. :)

I'm like you, though. If I'm getting a drink at a bar it's either a craft that happens to be in the cooler or me telling the bartender to give me "the cheapest beer" and not noticing/caring what I've got. I think for people like you and I, once you get below a certain quality level the taste factor shuts off and you just drink it. The only commercial beer that I was unable to finish a bottle of was Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Lemon(ade?) beer... had to sit down and collect myself both times I tried it (I was already quite drunk, admittedly, and probably wasn't in a condition to stomach difficult thigns). Can't say it is my kind of beer, but also don't know why I couldn't man up and drink it.

I dumped out a batch of marzen due to the enormous film on the top combined with the terrible odor coming from the bottling bucket after I racked it.

The only beer i can remember dumping was a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock... i like to experiment with new brews.... and i can drink just about anything.... but this was the nastiest beer i have ever bought.... when i opened it smelled like soy sauce.... and it tasted like it to....... i just about puked when i tried to take another sip.... has anyone ever tried this Cr@p

sam adams cranberry lambic. only beer ever poured.

I hated southern tier pumking, but finished it because it was an expensive bottle and i didnt want to pour my hard earned money down the drain.

I've dumped 4 Laughing Dog brews... finally learned their beer sucks. I really wanted to like it but...

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat...

An unknown sour beer... I am not a fan. I know it's blasphemy to some of you.

Oh, and this site made me avoid the Dissident from Deschutes. WAAAYYYY not my style. It's a "probably would'a dumped".

Heh, if I had known this thread was going to go down like this, I'd have put it up in the Debate section. Now I'm curious about this Rauchbier that tastes like meat... I shall have to google it.

I love Slim Jims :D

I have a keg of Hefe that my ferm temp got out of control. I'll drink about anything, especially if I made it, but I don't think I can choke it down anymore:(

The famous Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale recipe floating around. It tasted like vanilla cream soda with beer added. Kind of like a beer ice cream float. I couldn't get it down.

My best friend, though, loved it and she and her husband drank two cases of it.

I didnt like it at first especially with it not carbed yet, but it is growing on me. It is a very light semi beer ha ha.

It is my first beer on tap and will be a great beer for all my BMC friends.

Heh, if I had known this thread was going to go down like this, I'd have put it up in the Debate section. Now I'm curious about this Rauchbier that tastes like meat... I shall have to google it.

I love Slim Jims :D

It was probably one of these unless they changed their bottle selection:

AECHT SCHLENKERLA RAUCHBIER MÄRZEN
AECHT SCHLENKERLA RAUCHBIER URBOCK

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic
Lindeman's Gueuze (I thought at least this one would be good)
My Chocolate Macadamia Nut Stout (roomate put WAY too much macadamia nut extract)
Some smoke flavored beer (don't remember brand). It tasted like hot dog water.
I got a skunked Saison Dupont one time too. I cried when I had to pour it out.

vomit-smiley-015.gif
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

vomit-smiley-015.gif
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

:mad:

Thats Blasphemy! May you pilot the rocketship to hell for that!!! :mad:

lol

This does need to be in the debate forum.

As for me, the only beer I have ever dumped was Pabst Blue Ribbon.
vomit-smiley-015.gif

And I actually returned a beer at the bar the other day thanks to you ****ers here turning me into an EAC, I told them their keg was skunked and needed to be changed.

I poured out a Goose Island once because it had all these floaties in it and tasted horrible. Something went wrong with that batch...

For my own brew, I dumped a small amount of leftover DunkelWeizen that got old. It just didn't taste good anymore after almost 3 months.

I had a terrible Bells Cherry Porter. My roommate, who loves porters gave it to me, and after one sip, it had to go. It was just foul.

SA Cherry Wheat 1/2 way through my second. Strangely enough I thought the first was very good even though very girly. Then halfway through the second I just got sick of if the cloying cherry cough medicine taste and dumped it.

Other beers I have dumped include a couple commercial Belgian strongs that were way too young to drink. Plus a couple homebrews that were so out of balance hoppy that it was like chewing on an aluminum can.

The only beer that I couldn't stomach was the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat that was part of their winter pack. Crap tasted like cough syrup.

This year they replaced it with the Cranberry Lambric which I can stomach. It may help that I drank my first one with a head cold. It really cut down on the cranberry flavor and made in interesting since at the time I could taste anything. Tried another one later and decided this will be cold beer.

I say this at every opportunity, and surprisingly few people have disagreed with me. DFH120. I am a certified hophead (drinking Bell's Hop Slam as we speak), but that beer might be the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. As I've noted before, "It's like eating the dirt under a pine tree." And not in a good way.

I had to register when I saw this. I couldn't agree more with this one. Wife and I bought two singles for our birthdays (12 bucks a pop!!!) and boy were we disappointed. The worst swill I ever drank. Gave the wife a bad stomach ache. We don't purchase Dog Fish Head anymore.

Since we moved to Michigan we can't find a good beer (I'm researching into make my own), but we've found plenty of bad beer.

Bell's Oberon: didn't taste good, had a hefe flavor.
Arcadia Ale's Cereal Killer: Too sweet, but was nice and thick (cool label)
Hennepin: too sweet

The only 2 I remember were Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner, and a Michelob Ultra Lime - that was truly the worst "beer" I've ever had.

I can only remember dumping two commercial brews:

Harpoon's Winter Warmer (06 or 07) - tasted like soapy nutmeg.
Celis Raspberry - awful, the bottle I had anyways

I don't remember Sam Adams Cranberry "lambic" being that awful, wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as their Cherry Wheat - blech! But i remember finishing the glass....:drunk:

I thought Hennepin was the **** and I don't even like really sweet beers.

And yeah, pizza beer sounds most vile.

It's funny how subjective some tastes are.

Latest posts

Back