What beers do you celebrate with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
Haven't seen anything like this so thought why not.

I came home from Cantillon's Quintessence today to the wonderful news that my wife is pregnant (our first). I hadn't planned on drinking anything (a little hungover) but had to celebrate.

So, I opened a 3 Fonteinen Golden Doesjel to celebrate.

What special beers do others open to commemorate a special day?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399051836.880743.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Of course the reason for celebration is the most important, but is there that 1 beer in the cellar that you've been holding out on?

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Congratulations!!!!

Anything that costs more than I usually buy, haha. Or something I've held onto and can't get any longer.

Just focusing on a style, something higher grav, leaning toward Belgians. Maybe a RIS if it's just an annual occasion and not "celebratory".

Congrats!

I also usually break out a big Belgian ale or a RIS for special occasions. They feel suitably "important" and hold up well to long-term aging until the right moment comes along.

I have a few Chimays that have been sitting in the cellar for about two years now that I plan on pulling out for my birthday on the 20th of this month.

Congratulations! The first is the most exciting.

I'll sit on dubbels and quads and pull them out when I feel like there should be some celebratory mood. Come to think of it, Belgian Strongs are great for celebrating. Duvel, Three philosophers, Gulden Draak 9000, and Chimay red/blue are good ones for celebrating IMO.

Let's see. A bottle of Cantillon for my birthday. A bottle of Westy 12 for my birthday. I'll usually pop open a lambic or gueuze (or something else I've been cellaring) for our anniversary. On my 1 year anniversary of quitting smoking I did a side by side of Westy 12, Rochefort 10, and St. Bernardus Abt 12.

But generally my special occasion beers are sours, since they keep well, they're expensive, and they're usually a little harder to come by.

Back