What are YOU reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try and read that once every couple of years. Currently reading The Hobbit to my young one in preparation for the upcoming movie. Fantastic stories.

I have a friend that does that. That's why I'm reading it.

He also gave me a ton of graphic novels.

Has anyone read Micro? Its Michael Crichtons last book before passing away. I forced myself to finish it because I cant not finish a book, but i thought it was terrible. Definitely not his finest work...

just finished fight club, gonna start again with world war Z and bonfire of the vanities. (tried reading it last fall but kept forgetting about it.)

Currently reading Cussler's new Kurt Austin novel... Taking a break from my re-read of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Z is entertaining, but Bonfire is a great, great book.

I absolutely LOVED The electric kool-aid acid test, so I figured I'd read some of his other stuff.

Started off with Big Sur which got me interested in the beatnik and hippy memoir types, then moved to kool-aid, and seeing as I liked Wolfe's writing so much I decided to read bonfire.

Only a chapter or so into it, but so far so good.

Now I'm reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Much better than the last book I read!

I'm reading "The Mousetrap and Other Plays by Agatha Christie" almost finished then I'll start reading "The girl with the dragon tatto" ... don't wanna watch the movie before i read the book first

Almost finished with American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Just finished this one. Excellent book, Shadow. I liked it so much that I bought a copy for my Dad for Christmas.

I'm a quarter of the way into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So far, so good.

Recently finished Steven Eriksen's Malazan series. Some books were better than others, but a nice twist to typical fantasy. Waiting for Martin and Sanderson to finish those series. Really liked the name of the wind books. I seem to have knack for starting unfinished series.
Any good recommendations along this vein?

That is also on my to-do list. I've read a couple a long time ago. I think the first to Foundation books.

The order Asimov lists them in is:

The Complete Robot
The Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
The Currents of Space
The Stars, Like Dust
Pebble in the Sky
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

I finished War & Peace last night. It was on my bucket list, so I'm pleased to be finally done with it but it did not live up to my expectations. I'll take Brothers Karamazov any day.

Next up is New Brewing Lager Beer and Coetzee's Summertime.

I've got two books going right now.

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. Why there is no god. Good read so far, love the British dry humor (or humour) in it.

Scorecasting - Tobias J. Moskowitz and L. Jon Wertheim. It's basically Freakonomics applied to sports. While statistics are not my strong suit, it's pretty good.

TexasSpartan said:
I've got two books going right now.

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. Why there is no god. Good read so far, love the British dry humor (or humour) in it.

Scorecasting - Tobias J. Moskowitz and L. Jon Wertheim. It's basically Freakonomics applied to sports. While statistics are not my strong suit, it's pretty good.

If you dig freakonomics, check out malcolm gladwell's outliers. Great read that my dad recommended to me

Just received my shipment of Designing Great Beers, Brewing Better Beers, and Radical Brewing. About to up my game! Tasting Beer coming on Wednesday ;-)

I'm working my way through the A Song of Ice and Fire series on my commute to work. My commute is still 45 mins, and I'm in "A Clash of Kings." The series is as good as people say.

On paper I'm reading "The Emperor of All Maladies" which is a biography of cancer. I'm only 1/4 way into it, but so far the concept is more interesting than the reading.

The best two books i've read in recent memory are "John Adams" and "The First Tycoon." They are both biographies and fantastic reads. I can't remember the last time I learned so much from so little an investment.

I just bought a book that has all the Golden Age Green-Lantern comics....I've been reading that along with "The New 52" DC comics, mainly Action Comics....God I'm a child. lol

The order Asimov lists them in is:

The Complete Robot
The Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
The Currents of Space
The Stars, Like Dust
Pebble in the Sky
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

I wish I never read this series, so I could read it all again for the first time.

Almost finished with "A Game of Thrones" my wife read it and i promised to finish it before I get home so we can watch the series together. After that it's "The Hunger Games" because my kid and I agreed to read it together before the movie come out.

Also reading "Brewing Up A Business" on the side.

My wife just gave me a hardback edition of "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for my birthday. I have probably read every one of his stories before once or twice. This will be great to read sitting on the front porch swing this summer and if I don't get to it then. I'll read in front of the fireplace this winter.

My wife just gave me a hardback edition of "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for my birthday. I have probably read every one of his stories before once or twice. This will be great to read sitting on the front porch swing this summer and if I don't get to it then. I'll read in front of the fireplace this winter.

I read a couple Holmes stories. Good stuff.

I'm currently in book 5 of the Wheel of time. I'm actually reading them faster than I thought I could. Only 9 more to go!

Nice, maybe you'll be done by the time the last one comes out next year...

I'm still burned that they're waiting that long to go through revisions and edits and such. That said, after a lull in my reading, I'm now getting into The Hero of Ages, the last book in Sanderson's first Mistborn trilogy... As much as I'm enjoying the story, I keep coming across little inconsistencies that just irk me. I'm glad that he seemed to have outgrown most of that kind of thing before he tackled the last few Wheel of Time novels.

Almost finished with "A Game of Thrones" my wife read it and i promised to finish it before I get home so we can watch the series together. After that it's "The Hunger Games" because my kid and I agreed to read it together before the movie come out.

Also reading "Brewing Up A Business" on the side.

Read Hunger Games triology last month! Pretty good. Just finished Game of Thrones Last night and started Clash of Kings this morning. Gotta love the hour and 30 minutes of train time commuting everyday haha

I read very rarely. The wife had to read the entire Harry Potter series out loud to me!! :cross:

Oh my, what is that bloody gnome like.

Found two books from 1945 for $1 at a book sale yesterday. I love old books. Don't have the cash to buy any cool, real old or rare books, but I grab older hardcovers when I see them cheap. I wasn't planning on reading either of these in particular but I try to read everything I buy. Started Democracy in America yesterday (with a damn 100 page Introduction!) and the other is a first edition old Schlesinger history book...Age of Jackson I think. That one is kind of cool because it's got an inscription from unknown wife to husband, Christmas '45. It's a trip to think about how different their lives were, just months after V-J Day, from mine. Anyway, that's what I'm reading at the moment.

Back