What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eau de vie(water of life) made by my father in law 50 or 60 years ago. Basically high alcohol pear brandy about 120 proof.
20220904_001001.jpg

So I made a Pliny the Elder "clone"...posted a pic and mentioned that I've never tried the original. I live in S. Florida. @TwistedGray volunteered to send me a couple (and some others). This community of beer nerds and brewers is amazing!

Side by side taste test...The real thing is smooth and bitter, but still somehow balanced. Mine has the same hop profile and overall flavor but has an almost phenolic bite. Not even close! It looks very close, though...can you pick out the real Pliny? Cheers! and thanks again Thomas!
View attachment 779881

Glad you got to compare yours! I’ve never had Pliny either.
Think our colors are pretty close.

03434C65-2964-4E94-A2BD-3A5EE345BFE4.jpeg

Went to the local brewery for dinner. As always the beer and food did not disappoint.

Czech Style Pils with Sauvignon Blanc must. Such an interesting and delicious concoction.

0C048D23-8746-4ACE-91F1-5AFB034D55E0.jpeg

They have renamed the style of West Coast Pale Ale to Grandpa Pale Ale, and I’m going to continue to use that. It’s not clear, but it’s definitely not a hazy!

F0C583F4-1531-4A53-AEEE-C8F93C34D3B6.jpeg

HB pale lager.
939B7F53-BE91-4F56-BD17-700B8D77AFBE.jpeg

I brought a growler to my football draft last night and have been requested to bring an entire keg next time. It honestly made me feel really accomplished to hear that from a dozen guys who are 100% not craft drinkers. I’m notorious for having an imposter complex, but that’s three (this lager, cream ale, rye lager) highly requested beers now. That IPA thing is still WIP.

As a MN guy, I haaaaaate summit but the rest is good stuff. Is the cream ale the only Schells? It’s great, but they have so many solid beers

Yah, the Cream Ale was the only Schell's this time out. Wifey (a MN girl) really likes that one.

No love for Summit, eh? I like the EPA, but have only tried 1 other offering that I recall.

So I made a Pliny the Elder "clone"...posted a pic and mentioned that I've never tried the original. I live in S. Florida. @TwistedGray volunteered to send me a couple (and some others). This community of beer nerds and brewers is amazing!

Side by side taste test...The real thing is smooth and bitter, but still somehow balanced. Mine has the same hop profile and overall flavor but has an almost phenolic bite. Not even close! It looks very close, though...can you pick out the real Pliny? Cheers! and thanks again Thomas!
View attachment 779881

So, was it worse trying the real thing and realizing that you feel yours DOESN'T taste the same? I'm sure, even while not a direct clone comparison, you're still happy with it 👍

Glad you got to compare yours! I’ve never had Pliny either.
Think our colors are pretty close.

View attachment 779903

Lemme know ;) happy to mule...

That’s really, really cool
We inherited the family wine cave, and back in the deepest corner we found about 80 bottles of this stuff. Her dad had a license to distill fruit from his orchards, so every year he made plum and pear brandy. Unfortunately none of the bottles have any markings so it's a crapshoot what kind you'll get. Since he quit making it in 1982 we know it's that old, and the bottle style is distinctly not modern so it's probably from the late 50's or early 60's.

Yah, the Cream Ale was the only Schell's this time out. Wifey (a MN girl) really likes that one.

No love for Summit, eh? I like the EPA, but have only tried 1 other offering that I recall.
I always want to like summit, but there's something that just doesn't jive with my tastes in most of their beers. IIRC I really liked one they had out last winter, a rye IPA with a hockey themed name. The Schell's brewery is across town from me, so I've probably sampled everything thats come out of that brewery in the last two decades. I can honestly say I've never been disappointed.
The twin cities has had an unfortunate amount of smaller breweries close the past year and a half. I'm sure thats a theme nationwide, but sad to see them go considering theres only a handful in the rural south central area of the state I live in.

I always want to like summit, but there's something that just doesn't jive with my tastes in most of their beers. IIRC I really liked one they had out last winter, a rye IPA with a hockey themed name. The Schell's brewery is across town from me, so I've probably sampled everything thats come out of that brewery in the last two decades. I can honestly say I've never been disappointed.
The twin cities has had an unfortunate amount of smaller breweries close the past year and a half. I'm sure thats a theme nationwide, but sad to see them go considering theres only a handful in the rural south central area of the state I live in.
Have you tried any of the beers at Forager in Rochester? Our son lives there so when we're in town we often try to stop there. I've tasted some very good beers from them. I've had various beers from Schell's and found them all to be quite solid. When I was in Roch earlier this summer I had a Bearded Bear, a really good Cream Ale from PawPrint Brewery in Chatfield (very small town SW of Roch). Lastly, on one of my visits I'd really like to get to Barrel Theory and try a Shooter McGavin. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Where's the pic of the fishes? I gotta get the fly rod out soon, that looks like a nice place.

OT: hotel beer, getting ready to head to tin barn brewing.
View attachment 779834
I tried to get a picture of the rainbow trout I caught but I couldn’t manage it all by myself.
I realized I need to spend more time fly fishing next year. It’s been way too long.

Latest posts

Back