What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take more than a few hundred grand but same here. Need to win the lottery and get rich

A cool mil and a half and bologna sandwiches for about three years should do it.

A brewery with a sweet 7bbl brew house is doable for about $500k and I wouldn't dream of starting out with anything smaller. At least out here in AZ. That's what we were shooting for before I walked away from the startup brewery due to some bs. If I'm gonna do it I'm not gonna have any partners because I don't trust anyone anymore.

Mild.

20150723_153532[1].jpg

A brewery with a sweet 7bbl brew house is doable for about $500k and I wouldn't dream of starting out with anything smaller. At least out here in AZ. That's what we were shooting for before I walked away from the startup brewery due to some bs. If I'm gonna do it I'm not gonna have any partners because I don't trust anyone anymore.

You should see the "start up" brewery I toured here in Sioux Falls... Daddy is a mutli-millionaire eye surgeon, bankrolled the whole thing for his homebrewing son.

120bbl capacity, 50 oak barrels previously used for wine, hop fridge bigger than a 53' tractor trailer, etc.

Working on getting my dad to go to medical school.

Sucks man. I knew you are in the process though didnt know it fell threw. I'm working on a business plan but I do not know anyone that shares my idea or trust. This is still in very early planning/idea. Trust is the hardest thing and have the same goals

I agree that 7 barrel is probably the smallest that can generate a decent return. However there are several breweries in Denver that are 3 barrel (or less) systems that have been making really good beers for years. Most started as one or two man shows in industrial warehouse space with tap rooms only open a few hours a day or only a couple days a week.

Wit's End, St Patrick's & De Steeg all started at 1 BBL systems and 2 of the 3 just upgraded to 7 BBL or bigger. They both grew their customer base to pay off the upgrade in cash.

It can be done, but not sure how you pay the bills until you get to the 7 BBL capacity...

And on that note - i will finish my water and go grab a beer.

Maybe even top 5. That episode definitely is in the top 5.

I'm trying to think of others that are even in the same wheelhouse.

Seinfeld
Trailer Park Boys
Almost Sunny

Ok, maybe top 3.

Edit: Arrested Development with an honorable mention.

That story sounds familiar. Except I walked away from a 30 bbl startup because of BS. My problem is that I know precisely f*** all about business, and don't really care to know more. So I'd have to have partners I couldn't trust. And a whole bunch of money I don't have, meaning I'm in debt to someone for a long time. But I have the same lack of desire to work for some lying tosser. But at least there I can walk away. Problem is I can't get any different lying tossers to give me a shot (a few interviews aside). So I'm pretty much screwed, eh?

That story sounds familiar. Except I walked away from a 30 bbl startup because of BS. My problem is that I know precisely f*** all about business, and don't really care to know more. So I'd have to have partners I couldn't trust. And a whole bunch of money I don't have, meaning I'm in debt to someone for a long time. But I have the same lack of desire to work for some lying tosser. But at least there I can walk away. Problem is I can't get any different lying tossers to give me a shot (a few interviews aside). So I'm pretty much screwed, eh?

I didn't understand a word of this.

I'm with you brother. I could probably kick some ass in my market, but after working with a group of guys on business plans for over a year it really started to take the pleasure out of brewing. Yeah, I still want to own a brewery but the business planning bs sucks donkey balls. The funny thing about the business plan is it is all made up and "educated" guessing. Just go ahead and try to project a years worth of brewing and sales with losses and equipment failures and tell me how accurate you get. I'm actually going to try looking into opening a small coffee shop that roasts onsite. Green coffee is cheap and the profit margins are actually higher than beer. Stick at it a few years and earn enough to expand to coffee shop/brewery.

Yes. But my daughter might try to drink it, she lives on mangos, bananas and kale. But she's gluten free so she stays ten feet from beer at all times.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's celiac disease... must be rough.

Attachments

• 1437687149075.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 34
Back