What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sample of my stout and christmas ale. Both taste good, just struggling to get the stout to drop below 1.030. :mad:

What temp is it at? What/howmuch yeast did you use? What was the OG?

It has been between 63F and 66F for 2 weeks. OG was 1.067 and originally I rehydrated US-05 and pitched it then according to random recipes using coconut, I should have racked to secondary after 7 days. I realized there was little to no activity so I took a reading. It was at 1.030.

Went to buy a carboy and the same guy who recommended I use US-05 and said I'd be okay (I showed him my recipe and the anticipated ABV of 6.8%) said I could dry pitch another package of US-05, so I did. While I know blowoff tube activity isn't any indication of something not fermenting, nearly a week later the reading remains at 1.030. The beer is at 64F, that's the actual liquid temp.

I wanted to see it drop a bit more before I racked to secondary, but now I'm thinking I should just do it.

It has been between 63F and 66F for 2 weeks. OG was 1.067 and originally I rehydrated US-05 and pitched it then according to random recipes using coconut, I should have racked to secondary after 7 days. I realized there was little to no activity so I took a reading. It was at 1.030.

Went to buy a carboy and the same guy who recommended I use US-05 and said I'd be okay (I showed him my recipe and the anticipated ABV of 6.8%) said I could dry pitch another package of US-05, so I did. While I know blowoff tube activity isn't any indication of something not fermenting, nearly a week later the reading remains at 1.030. The beer is at 64F, that's the actual liquid temp.

I wanted to see it drop a bit more before I racked to secondary, but now I'm thinking I should just do it.

Try warming it up

Got it. I just turned on the heat downstairs so we'll see if the room temp can help out a bit.

I'm thinking next time I'll pitch two packages of US-05 if I am so inclined to use it on a big beer.

LOL key!

It wouldn't hurt to also GENTLY swirl (read swirl not slosh) the beer to help bring some of the yeast back into suspension. Just gently rock the carboy trying hard not to splash and slosh it around.

Got it. I just turned on the heat downstairs so we'll see if the room temp can help out a bit.

I'm thinking next time I'll pitch two packages of US-05 if I am so inclined to use it on a big beer.

LOL key!

Once it warms up, you may also try to swirl it a bit (taking care not to splash it - just to get some of the yeast back into suspension.) And I'm definitely of the camp that I'd rather spend an extra $4 on a beer to have it ferment cleanly, so definitely go with 2 (or better yet, use the Mr. Malty yeast calculator to take the guesswork out!)

It wouldn't hurt to also GENTLY swirl (read swirl not slosh) the beer to help bring some of the yeast back into suspension. Just gently rock the carboy trying hard not to splash and slosh it around.

Once it warms up, you may also try to swirl it a bit (taking care not to splash it - just to get some of the yeast back into suspension.) And I'm definitely of the camp that I'd rather spend an extra $4 on a beer to have it ferment cleanly, so definitely go with 2 (or better yet, use the Mr. Malty yeast calculator to take the guesswork out!)

Bet you guys coordinate outfits when you go out together too? Dontcha? :D

Hello said:

LOL key!

Also, I would try gently swirling the fermenter without splashing to get the yeast back in suspension. :D

wobrien said:
I should've used the wonky face instead. Legitimate smart-ass present and accounted for.

Good. You have to be at least a little bit of a smart ass to post in the alchy thread.
Or at least to fit in, you do. ;)

Drinking water still. Just placed my order for two 5 gallon bubblers from Norther Brewer, another BOGO offer and I couldnt pass it up this time!

mcbaumannerb said:
Shipping is pricey - but the materials are getting ridiculous as well (bubble wrap, tape, etc.) :eek:

Do you work in an office and shred much? Instead of recycling shreddings, I occasionally bring them home and they make for good packing.

At least we're coordinating with good information! ;)

Having some water after dropping off a trade package at FedEx. Shipping is pricey - but the materials are getting ridiculous as well (bubble wrap, tape, etc.) :eek:

I hear ya on the shipping! That's what's holding me up on getting your box out! It's been packed for a week now, but I gotta wait till pay day. KWIM?:(

tyzippers said:
I know. She was complaining about not having food again. I suppose that's a good enough reason. :(

What the fook is up with women? Always nagging about needing food, heat, a functioning washing machine, their husband to listen to them....

What the fook is up with women? Always nagging about needing food, heat, a functioning washing machine, their husband to listen to them....

...and apparently when there are kids running around they need to eat, be bought clothes, be given more shots than animals, and have their rear ends wiped for them.

mcbaumannerb said:
hmmmm .... this smells suspiciously like that canned pork product. One more water ... then I just might have to try one of those CCB hopped on the high seas Caribbean IPAs :)
What you have never heard of kava before?

...and apparently when there are kids running around they need to eat, be bought clothes, be given more shots than animals, and have their rear ends wiped for them.

Is it not socially acceptable to make a 6 year old who's almost 7 to get her own job? I mean she can read and do math. Kinda.:cross:

DrunkleJon said:

Oh, don't get me started. My 3yo daughter has at least 4 times as many clothes as I do.
I choose beer over clothing.

Latest posts

Back