What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone else think this tastes very similar to Guinness Draught, or is it just me?
IMG_1481.jpeg

Lil' sample of my 2 day kegged NEIPA.

PXL-20231031-164758217-PORTRAIT.jpg

It's much paler than I normally make, and intended. This was due to swapping out 2/3 of my Golden Naked Oats with malted due to lack of supply.

I think there's a happy medium and throwing in a bit of Munich wouldn't have gone amiss mostly for colour. But oh boy, is it delicious. Pineapple and candied lime for days.

Last edited:
Woke up to this sight today. First snowfall of the season--about 3" here. Too damned early for winter to start, but the sun's out now and it's starting to melt off. Windy af, but at least the streets and sidewalks are clear. Trick or treaters will brave the cold, anyway.

1000016401.jpg

Having a HB Scottish strong ale.

1000016403.jpg

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. This was the first OS I ever tried, and still my favorite. If I could brew one that's nearly as good I could die happy.

1000016415.jpg

I have brewed some oatmeal stouts that have turned out quite well. My favorite recipe is @Yooper's--brewed that a half dozen times over the years.

Well today is a high of 95F here in Sunny SoCal, enough for me to shake my Oktoberfest tendencies and dive into another San Diego brew, a refreshing and hoppy Sculpin IPA. A scrumptious and yummy WCIPA, 7% ABV, half finger of head and small amount of lacing. There was a time when I thought this was a big beer, that was until I saw what paint thinner the rest of you are drinking. 70 IBU’s, 34 awards. Wow.

Sculpin earns high marks, this is a perfect and classic rendition of hoppiness, possibly one of the five most famous WCIPA’s in California. I used to just say IPA, that was before the hazy intruders started showing up, now I have to specify which style I’m drinking. The 5 contenders that come to mind (in no specific order) are Ballast Point Sculpin, Stone IPA, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Firestone Walker Union Jack and Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Of course there are hundreds of others, but these core IPA’s are what put this place on the map. “Them’s all real IPA’s,” not hazies.

OK, OK, some of those hazies are good, just why would you give up this beautiful transparent and golden ale for one that looks like a mixture of orange juice and baby formula? Step on up and enjoy one of these Sculpins in a Beer Studly 19.2 oz can!

IMG_5721.jpeg

Back