What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2657.jpeg
From last night. The Trillium was from @TheDudeLebowski and it was excellent.

Next up in my sweep of meaningful San Diego seasonal brews comes Alesmith, established in 1995 in that other Beer Mecca, San Diego, California.

A brew called “Aleschmidt Oktoberfest German–Style Märzen Lager” – take that Sam Adams! - these guys have the language down pat! Alesmith – Aleschmidt – Love it!

Aleschmidt Oktoberfest is a 5.5% ABV, low head, zero lacing, medium-lower carbonation seasonal party brew that you should get to know. More like Karl Strauss than Sam Adams, this would be a great beer to compliment your Bavarian Pretzel and Bratwurst. Not bad for Murica, I think we’re on to something… Prost!

IMG_5695.jpeg

Destination and Mott the Lessor release at Tributary.

Something's wrong with me. Second pumpkin Jacque ale I've enjoyed. Way better on cask with a MOTL. This years MOTL is very Madeira barrel forward
PXL_20231028_191154218.jpg

And an IPA for ALS
PXL_20231028_194410435.jpg

And smashing venison pierogi's
PXL_20231028_193247010.jpg

And from 80's we go to snow 😡
Screenshot_20231028-155751.png

Last edited:
I haven’t done one of these in a while. HB OSH clone vs the real thing… mine is 4.4% vs 4.8. The hop profile is spot on, mine is a bit more carbonated, and slightly more roasty. The real thing has more yeast character, but very close, actually. I used dry Nottingham so that was expected. The second pic was in better light…
IMG_5151.jpeg
IMG_5152.jpeg

I had to go get baby back ribs and BBQ chicken to find another delicious Alesmith brew tonight - this one is Alesmith Nut Brown Ale on tap, 2 pints tonight.

This is a great, highly drinkable draft ale, delicious and sort of like the Shiner Bock I drank a couple weeks ago or the 1970’s Pizza beers of prior years. Really a good beer, go find some BBQ and go wild. Hand me some wipes…. Cheers!

IMG_5704.jpeg

Howe Sound - Ultradestroyer Licorice Stout. Wheew doggie!! :agressive:

What a fly fishing season up here in Cowtown. Finally getting a slow-down due to 15" of snow!! :D We had a massive flood through the Mighty Bow Valley in 2013 that decimated the river, and also released Whirling Disease. sigh.

10 years later, this has been the best year on The Mighty Bow River since the floods. Incredible fishing and busy busy at work.

I am loving these high-test stouts from Howe Sound Brewing, especially the Ultra. Just enough of a smoke flavour to offset the sweet liquorice/Star Anise and an awesome 10% kick to warm them bones.

Trying to upload stuff, but super busy. Neoprene waders are out in full force, fishing like crazy with frozen hands! Cheers everyone!! :bigmug:

Ultra_tying.jpg

Heading into the backstretch, today we have a heads-up comparison of two Southern California Oktober Biers, This time between Eppig Brewing Festbier and Energren Oktoberfest Bavarian-Style Märzen lagers.

Comparing a California Oktoberfest Festbier with a California Oktoberfest Märzen is a task filled with risk, but hey, I’m up to the task. Bratwurst and pretzels at hand, let’s give these two intruders a fair shake and see what’s happening here. Eppig is out of Vista, California, near the SoCal beer Mecca San Diego, California. Do a lot of Brew Masters ply their trades between shops or what??? Lot of San Diego here. Enegren however is out of Moorpark, North of Los Angeles, and makes some of the great German lagers in SoCal. I’ve always been impressed with Enegren.

Our Festbier clocks in at 6.0 ABV at 24 IBU it seems a bit high for a Festbier as I’ve found with other American versions, but I can’t taste it. Maybe those IBU’s are from later flavor additions rather than bittering. Anyway, this is one great beer.

Enegren always seems to hit the mark right in the center of style range, nothing out of place. There’s not much difference compared to my benchmark reference Ayinger Fest-Märzen. At 5.5% ABV, 23 IBU and maltier than the Festbier, this is a beer you close the night out with before staggering over to the drunk bus. Great beers!

IMG_5711.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back