What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I love this or Tip the Cow more when I want a stout in Iowa. Not mad at either of them🍻
Side note. Has anybody made the Treehouse hazy recipe that their head brewer shared on YouTube? Thoughts?View attachment 818352

No complaints about that recipe. With IPAs though it all about technique to ensure ultra low oxygen introduction and zero hop creep. I don't do flameout but wait to whirlpool at 150f. Love Magnum. Give it a go and report back!

HB smoked porter. Like the taste but it never quite carbed up to where I wanted and I can't figure out where I screwed up.
IMG_20230423_173842.jpg

Last edited:
Right here – yes, RIGHT HERE this beer was acclaimed as the best beer in the world. Have we really sunk that low? Best beer? Me thinketh not.

I’ve been looking forward to this 10% ABV bottle of paint thinner all month, carefully lagering it in my refrigerator, nursing it along to greatness. Brewed in Watou, Belgium no less. Hey, hey - with a best by 3/6/26 date right there on the label, I’m golden! Right!

This beer is not my friend. This beer makes me sad. Not only because I shelled out plenty of greenbacks for it, but it disappoints in many ways. Self-titled as an “Abbey Ale” first thing out the spout things looked good, until this huge blob of murk dropped into my glass, looking something akin to a yeasty brown dirt clod, right there in my beer. Yes I was decanting it. Yes that blob took over, higher in the pour than you would expect anything. Take a look, you can see the glop hanging down there at the bottom. St. Bernardus ABT 12 has a one-finger head, C02 foam bubbles were a little on the large side, not a hint of lacing.

First whiff is definitely “beerish,” the same smell you get cleaning up a local tavern Sunday morning after a Saturday night beer brawl. First glug was really rough in my mouth, 10% booze is obvious. This beer has a lingering taste and essence of a floral scented wax candle going on Glade Air Freshener, right there in my mouth. Who the heck spends good money on this? 11.2 ounces, gimme a break……. PASS

st bernardus.jpg

Right here – yes, RIGHT HERE this beer was acclaimed as the best beer in the world. Have we really sunk that low? Best beer? Me thinketh not.

I’ve been looking forward to this 10% ABV bottle of paint thinner all month, carefully lagering it in my refrigerator, nursing it along to greatness. Brewed in Watou, Belgium no less. Hey, hey - with a best by 3/6/26 date right there on the label, I’m golden! Right!

This beer is not my friend. This beer makes me sad. Not only because I shelled out plenty of greenbacks for it, but it disappoints in many ways. Self-titled as an “Abbey Ale” first thing out the spout things looked good, until this huge blob of murk dropped into my glass, looking something akin to a yeasty brown dirt clod, right there in my beer. Yes I was decanting it. Yes that blob took over, higher in the pour than you would expect anything. Take a look, you can see the glop hanging down there at the bottom. St. Bernardus ABT 12 has a one-finger head, C02 foam bubbles were a little on the large side, not a hint of lacing.

First whiff is definitely “beerish,” the same smell you get cleaning up a local tavern Sunday morning after a Saturday night beer brawl. First glug was really rough in my mouth, 10% booze is obvious. This beer has a lingering taste and essence of a floral scented wax candle going on Glade Air Freshener, right there in my mouth. Who the heck spends good money on this? 11.2 ounces, gimme a break……. PASS

View attachment 818385
Screenshot_20230423-191046.png
Screenshot_20230423-191039.png
Well, THIS is actually the best beer in the world. The interwebs said so! 😁
Screenshot_20230423-191046.png
Screenshot_20230423-191039.png

Battle Horse IPA
Martin House Brewing Company
Ft. Worth, Texas

Martin House inst really known for this style of beer. I fact, I want to say this is the first and only IPA I've ever had from this brewery.
But I have to say, they nailed it. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one... Absolutely delicious!

1682295498279.png

Had to sample! 1 cup of 190proof. 2cups of water. 1 cup sugar. Then added a bit more water to get 750ml. Calculation shows this should be around 23.5% but feels more. Not going to lie, this is a winner! Taste like store bought at 1/3 the price. Don't need to add extract neither. Need to work on my labeling skills though. Could be a silly night...🤪

PXL_20230424_042129251.PORTRAIT.jpg

Enjoyed! Not worth the extra money it costs from the other sparkling water I typically buy but it’s a nice change up. I’m curious to see how the other flavors taste.
I wonder if I’ll get some weird looks or questions if I’m drinking one during a video call? 🤣

At GABF last year, I tasted a no-alcohol IPA that was actually pretty good. The funny thing is, I didn't even realize it
was non-alcoholic until they told me and that was after I had tasted it.
I don't remember the name of the brewery though. Probably because of all the full-alcohol beers I had before and after that one.. :p

Welp, just pick up grains for a Westy12 and Hazy IPA to try out the hop oil dry hop substitute coming in Thursday. FINALLY, Thirsty Paws should be ready for the next Fellowship of the Home Brew for real this time!

Trying out a new pizza place with a ton of taps. Houston Spindletap Stereo Chemistry DIPA. Darn tasty!

PXL_20230424_200813298.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, totally different experience. I've had this beer multiple times and really enjoy it, as does my son, whose palate is much more sophisticated than mine. I wonder if you got a bottle that had been mistreated? Or do I just like crappy beer and don't know it?🤔😉🍻

Last edited:
Wow, totally different experience. I've had this beer multiple times and really enjoy it, as does my son, whose palate is much more sophisticated than mine. I wonder if you go a bottle that had been mistreated? Or do I just like crappy beer and don't know it?🤔😉🍻
No, I also think it’s divine. Perhaps it can be chalked up to a bad bottle, as you mentioned.

Today on the menu, we have a nice NEIPA from Green gold brewing. I'm getting rather tropical aromas, with bananas and mango in the foreground.
As far as the taste goes, it's nice, smooth and very creamy. Seems to be quite fruity with a fair amount of banana and citrus.

As a person that usually doesn't go for IPA style beers, I think NEIPA's are starting to grow on me.
20230425_224346.jpg

Back