What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Rasputin clone.
C700D70F-8792-4B22-BB0C-96A0D26153D8.jpeg

What are you shooting for? I don't know squat about mead except what I read...here.
Edit: what's causing the salt flavor? I didn't want to keep creating new post.

I'm shooting for 14% with an FG around 1.025. Took a stab with D-47 dieing out around there. I like sweeter Meads anyway so another 10 points in 2 weeks would be awesome assuming I didn't muck anything else up taking a reading.

As far as saltines, I'm assuming it's the chemicals. I've seen recipes using about 3x, especially, calcium chloride, what I use. The belief is this gives a smoother feel to the final product. I've brewed stouts that came out salty and the only difference was I had used more chemicals. Since then I backed off a lot on chemicals. I use(d) Brew'n water. But now I just wing it. Comes out to my liking. I'm clearly not the world's most educated beer chemist. I just found what works for me years ago. 1 teaspoon of this, ml of that.

With that said, I could be wrong and it's a hop combination that's giving the saltiness but because of my previous experience I assume it's chemistry.

OT
PXL_20220526_001438762.PORTRAIT.jpg

811C82B9-7FF1-4B0F-BC4D-10EF7E35C210.jpeg
48CD7662-1528-4DB4-9B36-EA57CD785B1C.jpeg
Started off last night with @Section1 Schwarzbier followed my my HB DIPA.
I am not very familiar with a Schwarzbier but damn was it delicious!! Very easy drinking, I was drinking it way too fast, the roast character wasn’t overpowering and provided a nice sweet chocolate note to it. It also had a nice dry finish which I like and think helped making me want to go back for another sip before I could set the glass down. Well done sir!!
Oh and his magnet he sent me is on the kegerator/fermentation chamber. Can anyone spot it? Haha

Last edited:
Tried out a new brewery down the street (trash beer, and they add gratuity to the bill for some reason - we were the only four people there for the 1.5ish hours we were there), walking distance, and went to another new coffee/beer place also down the street.

Porter (thin and no flavor) and an extremely over-sweetened milk stout (my wife sent it back, rightfully so)
PXL_20220526_001244401.jpg

PXL_20220526_001316014.PORTRAIT.jpg

And then a local amber (Other Brother Brewing)
PXL_20220526_013529709.jpg

HB roggenbier. (For roggenbier, HB is the only kind I’ve ever found!)
View attachment 769955
That was one of my first, non American brew attempts. Came out as straight up banana!

Taking the kids out tonight but cooling off with an adult beverage.

PXL_20220526_231517952.PORTRAIT.jpg

A kegging sample of my new Vienna lager. It’s a tad sweet, but I had a hell of a time with my strike water temp, so that’s what I’ll blame it on. Maybe it’ll be better when it’s clear and carbonated.
B6FC15F6-24A8-4A20-9129-94E378CDC559.jpeg
Also a HB Schwarzbier from @Section1 . This is excellent dude!! Very well done.
5A7E09EA-F1CB-449B-9290-A2EB251555C5.jpeg

Edit: after a couple more sips of my Vienna and seeing the FG reading (1.012), its not sweet, but there’s a slight white grape flavor I’ve been striving for. I forgot I put 28 oz of Sauergut in my boil. Now I’m eager for final taste.

Last edited:
Too much wood Character?

So with no mention on the label, this was a PB&J style mead. I guess the PB was the “natural flavor” mentioned on the label. It appeared that the PB did not mesh well with the barrel character. I personally love oak flavor, the oakier the bourbon the better. But, it just majorly clashed with PB flavoring in this bottle.

HB India Pale Lager. 5.9% at 51 IBU. Saflager S-23 at 14°C (57°)F for a few weeks. Lots of late hopping, but no dry hopping as I wanted it clear. Malt was half Pilsner, half Munich Type 1. Used Idaho 7 hops for the first time. Tastes great. I generally avoid new fangled words, but it does taste "dank" or maybe a bit of tabacco, but in a good way. I think I found a new favorite hop.

IMG_7679.jpg

Back