What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read today on Madfermentationist that the RR bottling strain (a wine yeast I'm assuming) is a killer, meaning it may play havoc in your fermenter.

Hmmmm, that's good to know. I'd heard that before, maybe I'll throw it into a gallon of something and see what I get before adding it to my Flanders. Thanks for the tip, I'm a total n00b with this sour thing.

What the hell is that, grapefruit juice? ;)

I was gonna say, I wasn't aware there was a BJCP category for grapefruit juice.

That's why i didn't send it in, this $hit is balls, looks like grapefruit juice and tastes like a hop. Dunno why anyone would wanna drink something like that. :D

Thanks for the gimme. Maybe my IIPA actually stands a chance now. :)

Anytime buddy! Don't forget to send me those brews we talked about. ;) Mwwwahahahahaha!!

Drinking some pretty bad coffee, like Maxwell House or Hills Bros or something. (coffee snob by day, beer snob by night) :mug:

Swarley88 said:
Oh you have that curse too? Or is it a blessing? well I also am plagued by being a tea snob too.

Same here, I think we have 17 different teas right now, when someone asks for tea ( very often down south) I launch into my beer nerd explanation of what type of tea do they like.

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. This stuff is so delicious. It's like drinking a chocolate milkshake.

NordeastGrapefruitJuiceBrewer77 said:
That's why i didn't send it in, this $hit is balls, looks like grapefruit juice and tastes like a hop. Dunno why anyone would wanna drink something like that. :D
I don't know. I think you'll have to send me a couple to convince me it's not grapefruit juice. ;)

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Drinking some pretty bad coffee, like Maxwell House or Hills Bros or something. (coffee snob by day, beer snob by night) :mug:

Same here. I can't, absolutely can't drink crappy coffee. And I'm addicted to using my French press. I don't even own a coffee machine anymore, I got rid of it.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
LMFAO!!! :ban: It sucks, you'd hate it, I'll punish myself for this epic fail by drinking it all by myself. :D

I hear ya. In a few weeks I'll be "punishing" myself with my DIPA I recently brewed with 13 oz of hops in the kettle (5 of those whirlpooled and nothing earlier than 30 min in the boil) and will be dry hopped with another 3. None of my beer drinking friends around here like IPAs so I'll have it all to myself.
Oh, and good luck with the sour this weekend. I took the plunge last year and brewed one with dregs from JP and Timmermans Gueuze and then a Belgian Golden with Brett. They're both still in secondary.

WesleyS said:
I hear ya. In a few weeks I'll be "punishing" myself with my DIPA I recently brewed with 13 oz of hops in the kettle (5 of those whirlpooled and nothing earlier than 30 min in the boil) and will be dry hopped with another 3.
Man that's a lot of hops, for a one gallon batch ;)

I hear ya. In a few weeks I'll be "punishing" myself with my DIPA I recently brewed with 13 oz of hops in the kettle (5 of those whirlpooled and nothing earlier than 30 min in the boil) and will be dry hopped with another 3. None of my beer drinking friends around here like IPAs so I'll have it all to myself.
Oh, and good luck with the sour this weekend. I took the plunge last year and brewed one with dregs from JP and Timmermans Gueuze and then a Belgian Golden with Brett. They're both still in secondary.

!3 oz? Pfffft, come back when you're going over 20 per batch, then we'll talk. ;)

No really, I've been learning that the whirlpool hopping really works well for big IPAs. I did two separate hop stands in my Heady clone, one just below boiling and one around 180-190. My second try will just have one at 160-170, s'posed to get more resin-y flavor from them down there. :mug:

Dale's Pale Ale

Man, that stuff is awesome! I mostly live on that and Pako's IPA. Right now though, I have a few Alaskan Black IPAs and I bought a case of Sierra Nevada ruthless rye IPA (first time I've had it, really enjoy it!) last night.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
!3 oz? Pfffft, come back when you're going over 20 per batch, then we'll talk. ;)

No really, I've been learning that the whirlpool hopping really works well for big IPAs. I did two separate hop stands in my Heady clone, one just below boiling and one around 180-190. My second try will just have one at 160-170, s'posed to get more resin-y flavor from them down there. :mug:

I'd like to learn more about this whirlpool method, I don't really know what's involved in that. I've got a chugger pump sitting in a box though if that will get me closer

Man, that stuff is awesome! I mostly live on that and Pako's IPA. Right now though, I have a few Alaskan Black IPAs and I bought a case of Sierra Nevada ruthless rye IPA (first time I've had it, really enjoy it!) last night.

I've tried to like Black IPA's, but I just don't. I either want a stout, or an IPA, not both. I agree though, Pako's is insanely delicious. I wish everyone on HBT could try it. It's one of my top 5 IPA's.

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale from last Summer. Surprisingly, it gets better with age.

Pako's is insanely delicious. I wish everyone on HBT could try it. It's one of my top 5 IPA's.

100% agreed! Since I moved to Wyoming last June, at least 1 of every 4 beers I've had has been a Paco's. I thought I'd get sick of it by now, but I actually enjoy it more each time I have one. And since Dales PA and Pako's come in cans on six pack holders, they ride along next to the tube perfectly on the North Platte River in the summer! :rockin:

Same here. I can't, absolutely can't drink crappy coffee. And I'm addicted to using my French press. I don't even own a coffee machine anymore, I got rid of it.

Man, french press is like a regular cup to me. Siphon/ vacuum pots are where its at. Or if you are feeling fancy, a ibrik.

Same here, I think we have 17 different teas right now, when someone asks for tea ( very often down south) I launch into my beer nerd explanation of what type of tea do they like.

Sounds like how I am. Then they go, "don't you just have a lipton tea bag?" And then I proceed to punch them in the balls and show them the door.

ah man I stopped into the store again today and still no lil sumpin sumpin, or brown shugga on the shelf wtf...

2013-02-28_12-36-29_543.jpg

I think Brown Shugga is undrinkable fresh. I've heard it cellars well so I've got two 6 packs minus the one I tried aging. Seemed like as the booze, hops, and booze fade it should be pretty tasty. Tried Sucks for the first time this weekend. Won't ever buy it because I can always get Hop Stoopid at the grocery for $3.50 a bottle, but think Sucks isn't that bad.

Oh, and drinking a petite saison and about ready to lauter my 'iron brewer' beer for a local comp.

If only someone would buy out their supply of Sucks they would probably have room for Sumpin' Sumpin' or Shugga! ;)

It'll go quick it seems to around here anyways. Was a long morning man it's snowing hard and travel plans changed now i'm going to have to drive to kalispell tomorrow. One more weekend and I should have a package to open on Monday :mug:

Swarley88 said:
Sounds like how I am. Then they go, "don't you just have a lipton tea bag?" And then I proceed to punch them in the balls and show them the door.

Ha, i ask them if they like green tea. I then go outside and trim the camellia. I love to see their face when I go into the Chinese tricking the English by giving them ornamental camellias instead of sinensis. They never believe me, then I pull out the dried loquat explaining it's benefits, then they ask where to get it and I point out back at the loquat tree. They really get wide eyed with the dried hibiscus flowers from out front.

Just offer em a bud light.

image-1865580309.jpg

Drinking my "4oz of chinook should be way more arrogant than this, arrogant bastard clone". Long name, I know. I added 3oz more to the keg last week, at least it's getting drinkable now.

I think Brown Shugga is undrinkable fresh. I've heard it cellars well so I've got two 6 packs minus the one I tried aging. Seemed like as the booze, hops, and booze fade it should be pretty tasty. Tried Sucks for the first time this weekend. Won't ever buy it because I can always get Hop Stoopid at the grocery for $3.50 a bottle, but think Sucks isn't that bad.

Oh, and drinking a petite saison and about ready to lauter my 'iron brewer' beer for a local comp.

I like Brown shugga fresh or aged same with lagunitas RED. They had a huge pallet of Sleighr Double Dark Alt 22 oz bombers on sale for 1.99 each so I went with a couple of those. The Believer Double Red, Oatis, and Total Domination 22 oz bombers for 2.99 each is a steal too and Tercerahops for 4.49 isn't terrible. They did have Hop Stoopid but they weren't on sale they were priced right at 3.89 though..... I just need some lil sumpin badly!

2013-02-28_12-37-55_850.jpg

I'd like to learn more about this whirlpool method, I don't really know what's involved in that. I've got a chugger pump sitting in a box though if that will get me closer

Read the article on hop stands in the current BYO, it's really helpful. You don't even really need a pump, though it definitely doesn't hurt. You can whirlpool manually, or just let the hops stand in the hot or tepid wort. Whirlpooling one way or another does help get the myrcene and other flavor/aroma oils out of the hops though.

Back