What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra Nevada Otra Vez. Gose-style Ale brewed with prickly pear cactus with a hint of grapefruit. It is TERRIBLE!!!! I will drink it because I paid for it but it will be a struggle. Thankfully there are only three of them in a sample pack........

Just home from dinner at a pub and then a beer tasting event.

Jack's Abby Mass Rising (full beer with dinner): Good. Definitely had the lager finish, but otherwise tasted like an IPA.

Everything else I had was a 2-4 oz. sample at the event:

2SP Blueberry Brett Russian Imperial Stout: Sounds like a "kitchen sink" recipe that wouldn't be good, but I was surprised that the fruit and brett covered up the alcoholic finish I usually find in RIS's. 4/5.

Cape May Tide Table Pale Ale: This was excelleng. Mostly citra pale ale. Might have been my personal favorite, although I didn't think it was necessarily the objectively best beer at the event. 5/5.

Conshohocken Type A IPA: Solid, but not anything to write home about. Disappointed that this brewery didn't enter their ESB instead. 3/5.

Double Nickel Vienna Style Lager: OK. 3/5.

Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale: Didn't like this that much. 2/5.

Forgotten Boardwalk Funnel Cake: A cream ale with Madagascar vanilla. I liked it, but I can't see wanting this if I were to order a cream ale at a bar. The vanilla made it much less sessionable, and covered up the distinctive flavors of cream ale. 3/5.

Saint Benjamin Belgian Dubbel: Good malt flavors, but not a lot of Belgian esters. I love this brewery's California Common, though. 2.5/5.

Tired Hands Hophands: Had it millions of times. Still holds up after trying several hoppier beers. Great beer. 4.5/5.

Troegs Perpetual IPA: Very dank. 3.5/5.

Vault New Zealand IPA: Good, but could be much better. Didn't take advantage of the hops. 3/5. I also had an American IPA of theirs brewed with mostly Sorachi Ace. Had an almost cheesy/oniony taste. Interesting, but I wouldn't want a lot of it. ?/5.

Forest & Main: Two excellent saisons. Antebellum was all-oat and all-brett. (How is that even a saison??) It was best in show judged by a panel in the "new beer" category. Definitely the most memorable beer I had. They had another farmhouse saison. It was great. These guys kick butt at brewing saisons. 4.5/5.

Sierra Nevada Otra Vez. Gose-style Ale brewed with prickly pear cactus with a hint of grapefruit. It is TERRIBLE!!!! I will drink it because I paid for it but it will be a struggle. Thankfully there are only three of them in a sample pack........

Whaaaaat? That beer is awesome. Do you not like the style? I have never heard anyone say they don't like it

Whaaaaat? That beer is awesome. Do you not like the style? I have never heard anyone say they don't like it

It took a long time for a 6 pack of it to disappear at my house. I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't think it was better than bmc either.

It took a long time for a 6 pack of it to disappear at my house. I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't think it was better than bmc either.

There's a huge prickly pear plant in front of Austin Homebrew Supply, at least a year ago. My wife asked if she could pick them. AHBS had no issues with that. We took like 30 home and let them, umm, "rippen". They're awful! She wanted me to make a beer with them. I said I can ruin brews WITHOUT any help! Ha!

Coffee....

View attachment 1494592646813.jpg

My Hibiscus Ale turned out incredible!! Amazing color and clRity!

Tart and refreshing!

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

"Borrowed" a box of the Pumpkin Spice coffee packets from work(I stash them in my file cabinet) last fall and am enjoying one slowly along with water allll day until tonight.

Testing out FOTD extras while binge watching Rick & Morty

Now a HB while doing yardwork

Back