What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NordeastBrewer77 said:
image-1011133652.jpg

What's in the carboy?

SFGiantsFan925 said:
^ Thats a cool can!

I am enjoying a Lagunitas Maximus after a horrible day. Nice to have a cold one in my hand.

Yea it us. Beer is ok. A solid IPA onto a revolution anti hero now. Might be a better can and beer.

Hulud said:
How is the whiskey?
I may have to try that

It's pretty good. I think I let the hops sit too long in it because it came out more bitter than expected. It smells great though. I'd like to try it again with a different hop variety. I just used some Magnum whole hops I had left over from my last batch.

WesleyS said:
It's pretty good. I think I let the hops sit too long in it because it came out more bitter than expected. It smells great though. I'd like to try it again with a different hop variety. I just used some Magnum whole hops I had left over from my last batch.

How long did it sit for?

Moose Drool Clone...this has been my favorite so far. Maybe just a touch more of choc and black malt.

20# 2-Row
2.25# Caramel 80
.625# Chocolate Malt
.5# Carapils
.125 Crisp Black Malt
2oz EKG 1@FWH 1@55
2oz Liberty @ 30
1oz Willamette @ 0
1oz Liberty @0

Used WLP007

^ I think I will too. What type of Whisky did you use? Bourbon? Irish? I would think a nice clean Irish whisky would be perfect. But I know bourbon would add a whole other element. I have a ton of both, whisky and hops. So, Im down to try for sure haha. And no need to sterilize :cross:

About 1.5 oz of Irish Whiskey. Figuring since the wife and I just bought our tickets to Ireland for 2 weeks, Ill celebrate with some of it. Dont have Guinness so I guess this works

SFGiantsFan925 said:
^ I think I will too. What type of Whisky did you use? Bourbon? Irish? I would think a nice clean Irish whisky would be perfect. But I know bourbon would add a whole other element. I have a ton of both, whisky and hops. So, Im down to try for sure haha. And no need to sterilize :cross:

I had some Canadian whiskey laying around that a friend bought me. Since its a smooth, mild whiskey I decided to use it instead of my precious bourbon.

Good stuff right here. Nothing over the top, just a nicely bittered IPA with plenty of hop aroma and flavor. It's got Amarillo for bittering with Simcoe and Santiams (never heard of it) for late hops. It's got my seal of approval. :)

20130109_124000.jpg

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Lookout for sales, NB recently had Better Bottles BOGO. I got those 3 gal glass ones for the same deal there a couple years ago. I'm assuming if they do BOGO in store, they do it online. I prefer glass for wine, since it sits so much longer usually.

Yeah, I'll keep a lookout for that. I recently was given a 6.5 gallon glass carboy by a friend. He was at a goodwill store and bought two before they were put out on the shelf. He paid three dollars each for them. I keep telling myself I need to frequent more yard sales, resale shops etc.
I'll definitely have to make some merlot. Is yours from a kit?

I'll definitely have to make some merlot. Is yours from a kit?

Yep, one of those Alexander's Sun Country cans, they have merlot and pinot (maybe a few others) at Midwest. 1 can + sugar, water, acid blend and yeast makes 3 gal of wine.

Oh yeah, beer......

Scored some goodies today.

HPIM1797.jpg

This is a really killer PacNW IPA. :mug:

I'm having a hot toddy, trying to get rid of this crud that I have. I think I'm just succeeding in getting myself hammered.
2 oz of Bourbon
1 1/2 oz honey
1 oz lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
Heat and drink

Tastes awful, but strangely, I feel a little better. After 2 of these, I think I might be feeling a little better. Of course, it's probably the alcohol making me not care if I'm sick!

Yep, one of those Alexander's Sun Country cans, they have merlot and pinot (maybe a few others) at Midwest. 1 can + sugar, water, acid blend and yeast makes 3 gal of wine.

Oh yeah, beer......

View attachment 93212

Sorry ... I can't see the word vortex any longer without thinking of the asinine bottle "technology" from MillerCoors! The beer looks great though!

jerryteague said:
I'm having a hot toddy, trying to get rid of this crud that I have. I think I'm just succeeding in getting myself hammered.
2 oz of Bourbon
1 1/2 oz honey
1 oz lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
Heat and drink

Tastes awful, but strangely, I feel a little better. After 2 of these, I think I might be feeling a little better. Of course, it's probably the alcohol making me not care if I'm sick!

I'm fighting something right now too. I usually make me a couple hot toddys when I feel like this. I enjoy them. I think the only difference between what I make and your recipe is I do equal parts lemon juice and bourbon and just a sprinkle or two of cinnamon instead of a whole teaspoon and I add a little bit of water to top off.
Hope you start feeling better!

NordeastBrewer77 said:

Oh yeah, beer......

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I expected this to taste more like the color green, but it's still a good IPA. Getting a lot of very pleasant citrus notes, especially lime which I don't think I've ever picked up in a beer before. But it works, so I'm not complaining.

20130109_151500.jpg

Really good IPA. Really good fruity character in the flavor/aroma. It tastes like it's more yeast derived, but the hop character is still excellent. Citrus and piney all the way. Definitely recommend this to those who can get it.

20130109_161200.jpg

Back