What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This.

I am thinking an electric Master built to get me started. Or one of the biscuit ones.

OT: More All Day, just got the Creme Brulee in the oven.

So what smoker do you guys (and gal) use? I've read about all the smoking you all do and I think I'm going to get one for Christmas or in the spring, but have no idea what to get

I've got the smaller electric masterbuilt and I like it. I love that it is basically set and forget. I would rather mess with the recipes than mess with trying to get the right temperature. The chip tray is super small and kind of a pain, so I also got the a-maze-n smoker. I highly recommend getting that. The a-maze-n guy has truly awesome customer service and he always have some kind of holiday sale, so if you're considering one soon, today is probably the day to buy.

This.

I am thinking an electric Master built to get me started. Or one of the biscuit ones.

OT: More All Day, just got the Creme Brulee in the oven.

I have the Master Built propane model. Paid like $135 I think... It works well, but I wish I would have paid a little more for something better. The water tray/wood bowl combo seems genius but is better in theory than practice. With the bottom tray filled with water the temp will not go above 225f even set to high on a 120f day. My solution was to not fill the water tray, but fill an aluminum pan with water and place on the bottom rack. Works much better and uses a lot less propane.

So what smoker do you guys (and gal) use? I've read about all the smoking you all do and I think I'm going to get one for Christmas or in the spring, but have no idea what to get

I have a cheap offset smoker. I wasn't going to get one, but we didn't pack the grill. This was on sale at Walmart for like $90. I use it as a grill too. Works fine, but if I cared more, I'd get something a little more heavy duty.
If this one lasts until our next move, I'll be pleased.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441653990.217965.jpg

More Sprite.

Yeah that makes sense. I bumped it down to 235 for now.

WSM 18. I belong to those forums. I just usually did 250 on butts. I'll try something lower next time.

Weber Smokey Mountain 18". I love it. I hated my offset stick cooker.

@drunklejon I want to try 225 next time.

WSM 18" I've had for 8 years. So much good food and smoked cheese, not to mention the Thanksgiving turkey every year. So good and totally worth the dough.

Another pour of HB IPA
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441654471.190306.jpg

I've got the smaller electric masterbuilt and I like it. I love that it is basically set and forget. I would rather mess with the recipes than mess with trying to get the right temperature. The chip tray is super small and kind of a pain, so I also got the a-maze-n smoker. I highly recommend getting that. The a-maze-n guy has truly awesome customer service and he always have some kind of holiday sale, so if you're considering one soon, today is probably the day to buy.

Awesome. I need a set and forget it type of thing. I wish I had the time to sit around and tend the fire, but I don't.

Another All Day while the Creme Brulee cools.

View attachment 1441655793313.jpg

Okay... Details of the smoker addition? I have liked the electric from masterbuilt, but have been a little low on the smoke flavor.

A couple of inches of rye (Templeton) after barely making an international flight due to a lack of alarms going off and playing entertainment to a 5yo.

Home, beer soon.

View attachment 1441661728027.jpg

Not quite there yet. 15,000 is the goal.
Workweek hustle is kicking my ass.

View attachment 301748

Sparging a Hefeweizen. No beer during this brew day.

It's 210 steps between neighbor's house and my kegs, so I'm getting credit for 400 steps for every beer. I don't think this is what the makers of fitbit had in mind.

Honey rye saison. Needs a name and another day or two on the gas.

Attachments

• 1441662928004.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
Awesome. I need a set and forget it type of thing. I wish I had the time to sit around and tend the fire, but I don't.

Another All Day while the Creme Brulee cools.

If I did it again I'd probably get the larger size. I think the 30 is a little small for a full packer brisket. But, I got a hell of a deal on Craigslist, so no complaints.

Okay... Details of the smoker addition? I have liked the electric from masterbuilt, but have been a little low on the smoke flavor.

This is the smoker I'm talking about:
https://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Works great for generating smoke and can be used to cold smoke too. I have the tube smoker because it's supposed to work a little better if you live at altitude.

And here's their current sale - good until 9/30, so you have some time to decide if you want one.

A-MAZE-N DEALS for LABOR DAY

DEAL 1: Coupon Code - LD2015
Purchase $50+ and receive 20% OFF Your Entire Order + FREE SHIPPING!

Enter in LD2015 at checkout.
Offer ends 09/30/2015
This coupon code cannot be used with Deal 2 or items in the Bargain Bin.

DEAL 2: MAVERICK GIFT PACK $59.99
First 50 customers to purchase a Remington ET-732 *Black OR Maverick ET-732 Silver will receive a 6" Tube Smoker FREE + 1 LB bag of Pitmasters Choice Pellets FREE + FREE SHIPPING!

OT: finished up some Jester King Hibernal Dichotomous. No photos, but back to trying all of the available oktoberfests soon.

If I did it again I'd probably get the larger size. I think the 30 is a little small for a full packer brisket. But, I got a hell of a deal on Craigslist, so no complaints.

This is the smoker I'm talking about:
https://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Works great for generating smoke and can be used to cold smoke too. I have the tube smoker because it's supposed to work a little better if you live at altitude.

And here's their current sale - good until 9/30, so you have some time to decide if you want one.

A-MAZE-N DEALS for LABOR DAY

Thanks. Think I will pull the trigger tomorrow, when I am sober. Amazing what two fingers of rye and a kolsch will do with almost no sleep and essentially no food for a day.

Making pasta sauce for dinner and the 5yo's first day of kindergarten.

View attachment 1441664023111.jpg

tumblr_lv7y0009Rk1qh7gfao1_r1_500.gif

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441664971.514546.jpg

Back