What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the coffee. Volunteered to work today for the double time and a half pay. Up earlier than normal but I will be off at 3 and it will be a really slow day. Basically I'm getting paid to sit on my computer and surf the interwebs

Drinking coffee. Finally got the pork on.
@remmy how come it took your pork 15 hours?

Drinking coffee. Finally got the pork on.

@remmy how come it took your pork 15 hours?

That's usually how long it takes...15-16 hours. Four pork butts smoking at 235F takes about that long to get to 190F internal. I then wrap each butt in foil, wrap in a towel and leave in a cooler for 4-5 hours. Then I pull.

I got 26 bags in total. Giving all of my neighbors some in just a bit after I finish making my Carolina sauce.

Water on the tractor. With this on the speakers.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441636403.322470.jpg

I smoke mine at 225 and it takes me 20 hours. Maybe I should take a page out of Remmys book and up my smoker temps.

All right so maybe I am doing something wrong. I usually smoke a 6-7 pound butt and it's done in under 10 hours. I'm worried about this one because I got it on so late in the morning (10 am) and it's about 8 pounds. It's possible I'll be eating pizza tonight for dinner and this for dinner tomorrow. Though it is never quite the same the second day.

Anyway, I wonder if I am doing it wrong. It is hugely likely.

Water. I am especially lazy today but I really should to go to Lowes and buy some charcoal since it's on sale for $10 for two bags. I'm down to a bag and a half right now.

All right so maybe I am doing something wrong. I usually smoke a 6-7 pound butt and it's done in under 10 hours. I'm worried about this one because I got it on so late in the morning (10 am) and it's about 8 pounds. It's possible I'll be eating pizza tonight for dinner and this for dinner tomorrow. Though it is never quite the same the second day.

Water. I am especially lazy today but I really should to go to Lowes and buy some charcoal since it's on sale for $10 for two bags. I'm down to a bag and a half right now.

Unlike a lot of bbq purists I don't think there is a "right" and "wrong" way unless you aren't cooking long enough to break down the tough tissues and aren't getting tender meat that pulls easily and falls off the bone. My pork butts usually take around 10 hours but I am usually only smoking one small 6-7 pound butt. The longer smoke will give a better bark though.

What type of smoker do you have? I belong to TVWBB and it's a been a great resource over the years. I haven't been on there in forever. But I remember many threads about high-heat pork butt cooks along with high-heat brisket cooks. You obviously cut down on cooking time and get similar results to tradition barbecue-cooking methods. But I just don't feel comfortable doing a high-heat cook with cuts of meat that have lots of fat and connective tissue. It frightens me.

I'm down to 18 bags after handing-out 8 bags to several neighbors along with my Eastern Carolina sauce that I hooked-up this morning.

What type of smoker do you have? I belong to TVWBB and it's a been a great resource over the years. I haven't been on there in forever. But I remember many threads about high-heat pork butt cooks along with high-heat brisket cooks. You obviously cut down on cooking time and get similar results to tradition barbecue-cooking methods. But I just don't feel comfortable doing a high-heat cook with cuts of meat that have lots of fat and connective tissue. It frightens me.

I'm down to 18 bags after handing-out 8 bags to several neighbors along with my Eastern Carolina sauce that I hooked-up this morning.

When time is short I have put the meat in the smoker for around 6 hours then moved to the oven at 350f to finish. Good flavor and texture, but the bark gets soggy when sealed up in the oven.

Giving my O'fest a taste test. It's not fully carbed just yet but oh my...this is a good one.

No worries butts are very forgiving. I always marvel at the sgort smoke timea people get and feel I am an extremist. I heard smoking happens best at 225 so stuck with that. Pulled off at 200-205 I hear butts can take up to 250 easily. Hell i have even wrapped mine and thrown it in the oven because it wasnt done soon enough. Go with what works for you.

Had three Coors tall boys now on a $10 stadium sam adams. 3rd baseline seats

View attachment 1441644366665.jpg

No worries butts are very forgiving. I always marvel at the sgort smoke timea people get and feel I am an extremist. I heard smoking happens best at 225 so stuck with that. Pulled off at 200-205 I hear butts can take up to 250 easily. Hell i have even wrapped mine and thrown it in the oven because it wasnt done soon enough. Go with what works for you.

Had three Coors tall boys now on a $10 stadium sam adams. 3rd baseline seats

That's likely the easiest cut of meat to smoke. So much fat, you really can't mess it up unless you cook it at 400F for 6 hours. That's why many people recommend anyone new to making barbecue try pork butt for the first cook.

So what smoker do you guys (and gal) use? I've read about all the smoking you all do and I think I'm going to get one for Christmas or in the spring, but have no idea what to get

Unlike a lot of bbq purists I don't think there is a "right" and "wrong" way unless you aren't cooking long enough to break down the tough tissues and aren't getting tender meat that pulls easily and falls off the bone. My pork butts usually take around 10 hours but I am usually only smoking one small 6-7 pound butt. The longer smoke will give a better bark though.
Yeah that makes sense. I bumped it down to 235 for now.

WSM 18. I belong to those forums. I just usually did 250 on butts. I'll try something lower next time.
So what smoker do you guys (and gal) use? I've read about all the smoking you all do and I think I'm going to get one for Christmas or in the spring, but have no idea what to get
Weber Smokey Mountain 18". I love it. I hated my offset stick cooker.

@drunklejon I want to try 225 next time.

This.

I am thinking an electric Master built to get me started. Or one of the biscuit ones.

OT: More All Day, just got the Creme Brulee in the oven.

Latest posts

Back