What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GFY

noobsawce

Nice try with the attempted ninja insult...

giphy.gif

Nothing gets by me.

I've done some hoppy saisons/belgians and you wont get that perception of the phenolics like you normally would, but its still there to some degree. Still will make a great beer. Ask @patrickg or @thecadjockey about my Rye Not. Aggressively citra hopped rye saison I used belle in. One of my favorite.

I could see that though... you get the spice from the rye that would kind of give you the perception of that phenolic flavor.

I did 2 different saison with Belle at Florida summer garage temps (95-105), it gets pretty intense at high temps and attenuates like a mofo, both went below 1.000. I love that yeast.

I need to revisit that strain soon for something similar to that. 3711 will be next though. Had a saison at tallgrass that is one of the best I had ever had. Talked with the brewer on Tuesday and he said they used 3711.

I did 2 different saison with Belle at Florida summer garage temps (95-105), it gets pretty intense at high temps and attenuates like a mofo, both went below 1.000. I love that yeast.

What temp are you pitching at?

Yeah, that's about $400 worth right there. At least it looks like he intends to trade them, but with a haul of that size, I wouldn't be surprised if he is selling them as well. The Last Snow release, as with most special releases here, was messed up. I think it would be better if everyone did their special releases like the BCBS release here, every store starts selling at the same time on the same day, there is no time to go to another store. Zhukov and Last Snow has been hitting different stores for the last week and a half, and it doesn't usually last for more than an hour.

Person who snatched the pic (I'm not in that group) said he was 'taking offers' so he's basically auctioning them off for whalez and/or taking cash offers too.

@psylocide - when I did my saison (Wyeast pc3726) I pitched it at about 70 and twelve hours later set it out on the patio where I know it went over 80. Smells really funky and I'll know on Sunday how it turned out.

What temp are you pitching at?

Pitched as low as my IC could take it here in the summer, ~78. Since our groundwater is so hot year round, I have to chill as much as possible and throw the fermenter in the ferm chamber to reach pitchable temps. That was not possible with those two batches since the ferm chamber was tied up for 3 months with a RIS.

Person who snatched the pic (I'm not in that group) said he was 'taking offers' so he's basically auctioning them off for whalez and/or taking cash offers too.

@psylocide - when I did my saison (Wyeast pc3726) I pitched it at about 70 and twelve hours later set it out on the patio where I know it went over 80. Smells really funky and I'll know on Sunday how it turned out.

Thanks man.

I knew I should have put it in the garage, but kept hearing that temp ranges around where fins kept it had good results.

Bah, still young... probably making a mountain out of spilled milk.

Wait...

Thanks man.

I knew I should have put it in the garage, but kept hearing that temp ranges around where fins kept it had good results.

Bah, still young... probably making a mountain out of spilled milk.

Wait...

Just stick to Busch Light. No worrying, the fine folks at AB-InBev have taken care of all the fermentation for you so you don't flocc it up.

There was always rumors the we occasionally get Cantillon here, but after 3 years of looking, this is the first one I've ever seen. Hopefully it is worth the $26 price tag.

Brass Tap had it here in Wesley Chapel. $36. I said nope.

Haha totally missed that. Apparently already in DGAF mode.

There were definitely some nice classic belgian notes that I got, but not in crazy amounts. You could certainly raise the temp up at this point, it wouldnt hurt, but since most of the fermentation is done im not sure you will get much out of it. I could be wrong though. Like you said, more time will help to develop more of those phenolics.

After the first 72 hours of fermentation the major characters of the yeast (sacc, not wild yeast) is pretty much set. Ramping up now will just make sure it finishes strong and cleans up after itself faster. Like @allenH I ferment my saisons hot to get them real funky. I leave them at room temp (80f) and let it do it's thing but I like my saisons real funky.

After the first 72 hours of fermentation the major characters of the yeast (sacc, not wild yeast) is pretty much set. Ramping up now will just make sure it finishes strong and cleans up after itself faster. Like @allenH I ferment my saisons hot to get them real funky. I leave them at room temp (80f) and let it do it's thing but I like my saisons real funky.

80° is not room temp, it's pure torture. I keep my house @ 68°.

Lived in Phoenix for 2 years, so I'm picking up what you're putting down.

There was always rumors the we occasionally get Cantillon here, but after 3 years of looking, this is the first one I've ever seen. Hopefully it is worth the $26 price tag.

You paid $26... Wow that is a steal. Is there any more, I'm sure that one sucks I'll give ya $40 for it ;)? I want some so bad. Especially Fou Foune.

Wife's friend just called and said they lost their 6-year old daughter. SUV struck her last night. ****ing horrible day.

View attachment 297958

My condolences! Read this as I watch my five and eight-year-old swimming in the pool.
Brought a tear to My eye, I can't even tell you how I'm unable to wrap my head around such a tragedy!

That's ****ty. I have a 5 year old; I can't even begin to imagine how devastating that is. RIP.

View attachment 297965

4 more hours of work, then home to unpack.

coffee-

@remmy sorry for the lose, prayers headed your way.

hour left

No parent should ever have to bury their child. Especially a child that still has not reached double digit birthdays. My condolences.

My condolences! Read this as I watch my five and eight-year-old swimming in the pool.
Brought a tear to My eye, I can't even tell you how I'm unable to wrap my head around such a tragedy!

I can't imagine that type of pain. I'd die myself. Little girl had two older brothers (8 and 10). She played with my boys periodically. Never got out of line. Sweet and calm every time. Her dad worked with my wife for about 7 years. Last time I saw the parents was at a local watering hole. I haven't talked to them in a few months and the next time will be at the child's wake. I don't even know what to say.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440185133.251521.jpg

Damn that sucks Remmy. Losing a kid is the worst.

Finally got to CS. My seat was taken. Guess this will have to do.

Anyone one with children know how heart breaking that would be. Our entire family gives our condolences.

Thank you both. Not sure what to say. It's horrible and it makes me not one to spend one second away from my kids. The little girl was rolling around in a little wagon. Keep in mind they live in a suburban town, albeit with more houses near each other and slightly more traffic. But that shouldn't have happened. The driver wasn't intoxicated and it was indeed an accident. I just can't imagine how both the driver and my wife's friends' family feels. I don't want to imagine it.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440186123.210420.jpg

That's damn terrible Remmy. Prayers for the family, and yours.

My Belle Saison batch started its life in an ice bath and I let it free rise to TX garage temps from there this week. I'll pull a hydro sample tonight, I wanted pure farmhouse funk on this one, so maybe I won't drink 45 bottles in 2 weeks. I pitched at 80 and the ice bath had it at 65 before it took off like a rocket.

Has anyone been able to get some funkyness from 3711 at higher temps? I have only used it once at a cooler temp. The flavor was nice, but a bit subdued.

Drinking water.

Has anyone been able to get some funkyness from 3711 at higher temps? I have only used it once at a cooler temp. The flavor was nice, but a bit subdued.

Drinking water.

Not really, more peppery than funky. I've switched over to 3724.

Interested in trying 3726 though.

Damn! Sorry - I had to eat and run back to the office. Maybe the end of next week when DC is in town we can actually meet. :mug:

OT - water in the office

Don't feel bad, I have to run somewhere everything I meet up with @blizzard

Not sure if I am coming to GABF yet. I have Saturday noon tickets just need someone to convince me.

Nope, no funkiness in 3711. Lemon and white pepper in my experience. I ferment it at ambient temps in my office (keep the house at 76F).

Wifey is running late, so I need a beer before we head to Houston. Going see a show at the Woodlands tomorrow, so probably having supper at Flying Saucer 'on the way in' tonight.

It was $26.19, which was weird since everything ends in .99 there. That was the last bottle they had. If I come across anymore, I will let you know.View attachment 297982

Yes anything. I'll pay for shipping and all. Texas doesnt get any but hope to try or get a bottle at zwanze say in New Orleans

Back