What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you brew? Are you feeling better?

Aside from getting completely sick over the weekend, I could not do my first all-grain. It won't stop snowing. Our small yard has three and a half feet accumulated, there just isn't anywhere to put it. It doesn't look like it is going to stop either, 7 day forecast shows snow and even lower temps. I'm either going to have to find a reasonable way to do it inside on the stove or just get ingredients for a partial mash in the meantime. I don't know.

Feeling better thank you, body is just tired.

Trying some coffee.

Aside from getting completely sick over the weekend, I could not do my first all-grain. It won't stop snowing. Our small yard has three and a half feet accumulated, there just isn't anywhere to put it. It doesn't look like it is going to stop either, 7 day forecast shows snow and even lower temps. I'm either going to have to find a reasonable way to do it inside on the stove or just get ingredients for a partial mash in the meantime. I don't know.

Feeling better thank you, body is just tired.

Trying some coffee.

Have a garage? If not, shovel a 4x4' space to put your burner on.

Coffee. I just had the most bizarre phone call with my auto-loan company. I'm paying my truck off early and the girl could not seem to give me a straight story one way or the other about how to do that. Good lord.

Coffee. I just had the most bizarre phone call with my auto-loan company. I'm paying my truck off early and the girl could not seem to give me a straight story one way or the other about how to do that. Good lord.

"But why would you want to do that?!"

This country make me sick sometimes. People are getting progressively dumber each day.

So not only are you forced talk to someone that can't help you; you now have to explain financial strategy with them.

The only reason I'd want a definite on whether it is brett is to ensure I am using equipment for a sour versus anything else. That does sound like a great IPA.

With proper cleaning and sanitation I don't worry much about cross contamination with brett, but it is a good peace of mind if you know for sure it isn't actually brett.

I hope the IPA turns out good, it was a partial mash on my stove in my apartment due to not currently having a mash tun and my burner. I was shooting for 4 gal of 1.072og wort and ended up with 5 gal of 1.060 wort since the beersmith volumes were off. This brew was mainly to see how well my little electric stove would work (damn fantastic actually) while waiting on the Dremel tool I ordered so I can get my manifold built for my cooler.

On the coffee. French Press rules

Water.

Damn I find it hard to focus on anything this time of year. I think I have that disorder that makes you a zombie if you go more than 2 days without sunlight.

Water.

Damn I find it hard to focus on anything this time of year. I think I have that disorder that makes you a zombie if you go more than 2 days without sunlight.

That's how I feel if I go more than 5 hours without beer.

I always get so excited when I see it go up, go check it out, and never bite the bullet.

I'm a cheap bastard (in some ways) and also actually like using only bottle dregs for souring.

I'm sure his blends are awesome though - maybe someday.

Haha I do the same thing. Always get excited and never order, except once. I also agree that using dregs can produce just as good if not better results than sour blends commercially available.

Haha I do the same thing. Always get excited and never order, except once. I also agree that using dregs can produce just as good if not better results than sour blends commercially available.

How do you guys store dregs if not pitching them right away?

Right now I have a jar that I just dump dregs in when I drink a sour that's worthy. I started it about 3 months ago and have pitched a little bit of it into a gallon so far. Im planning to fill this liter jar and pitch the whole thing into 5 gallon batch. I dont refrigerate it and dont plan to make a starter with it. I've dubbed it "Dreg Party" so you'll have to think of another name for your house culture. :D

Right now I have a jar that I just dump dregs in when I drink a sour that's worthy. I started it about 3 months ago and have pitched a little bit of it into a gallon so far. Im planning to fill this liter jar and pitch the whole thing into 5 gallon batch. I dont refrigerate it and dont plan to make a starter with it. I've dubbed it "Dreg Party" so you'll have to think of another name for your house culture. :D

You don't feed it or anything?

I like funky bunch too, but Russian river jumped on that one. I'll come up with something.

I just don't want to waste all these crooked stave bottles I have, but I want to drink them all now...

Nope. Front. Just too deep snow.

Cherry coke.

I never understood why someone (or company in this case) would own a FWD or RWD vehicle in an area where snow is bound to accumulate by the feet every winter.

I remember driving back from Hartford (roughly 1-hr. drive) through a ridiculous snow storm back in 2005-2006 with new tires on my car. Got home with no problem. The highways had 4-5" of snow on them. I took my car up there for work because I didn't want to take my old company's FWD Taurus SUV.

I have a 20 year old rwd F150 that does fine. Just needs extra weight in the bed during the winter. The only problem I have is when my friends decide to kick the chunks of snow off and put a hole in the side of my truck. Almost time to have her put down.

Lots of water today.

I have a 20 year old rwd F150 that does fine. Just needs extra weight in the bed during the winter. The only problem I have is when my friends decide to kick the chunks of snow off and put a hole in the side of my truck. Almost time to have her put down.

Lots of water today.

Sounds like your friends always piss you off. Whether it's brewing or pushing snow out of the truck bed, ha ha. I haven't owned a FWD or RWD anything that I've driven in the snow. My summer/fake-sports car is FWD but never get driven when it's cold. I couldn't imagine driving that thing in snow. It's gotta be the closest thing to driving drunk, I reckon. I commend you for driving in that junk with a rwd.

The best way is to pour some light starter wort (~1.020) directly on the dregs. I keep a ton of #2 drilled stoppers, so I just affix that and an airlock on and let it ride. You can let it ferment out at RT or stick in the fridge to ensure the same proportions. @Oldsock had a post awhile back about pressure canning wort to be able to easily do this

I've done this too. I brought a pint of starter wort in a howler to a sour tasting and we dumped all the dregs in to get a "club culture." I don't add anything to it now bc anything I add will likely be outcompeted by whats arleady grown and active. No reason other than this not to do it this way; I just think you might end up not getting as much out of the later dregs. You could always do the first method and then combine them.

You don't feed it or anything?

I like funky bunch too, but Russian river jumped on that one. I'll come up with something.

I just don't want to waste all these crooked stave bottles I have, but I want to drink them all now...

I would suggest combining just the crooked stave dregs on their own. The few small batches iver done with just those dregs have turned out fantastic! And no I dont feed it. Bugs can last for years without new sugars to munch so Im not worried about its viability once it comes time to pitch.

I've got a growler with a bunch of dregs. Have fed it a couple times with extra wort from brew days, etc. have used it for a 1 gal batch, then used that cake for a 5 gal. Keeping the growler at room temp.

Even bottled a couple single bottles off it and carbed with carb tabs (an added bonus)

I would suggest combining just the crooked stave dregs on their own. The few small batches iver done with just those dregs have turned out fantastic! And no I dont feed it. Bugs can last for years without new sugars to munch so Im not worried about its viability once it comes time to pitch.

I started mine with a couple crooked staves and they are likely the dominant bugs in it now.

I'm all for biodiversity (until a beer proves me wrong), so I'm prone to keep combining dregs.

Sounds like your friends always piss you off. Whether it's brewing or pushing snow out of the truck bed, ha ha. I haven't owned a FWD or RWD anything that I've driven in the snow. My summer/fake-sports car is FWD but never get driven when it's cold. I couldn't imagine driving that thing in snow. It's gotta be the closest thing to driving drunk, I reckon. I commend you for driving in that junk with a rwd.

My friends, though older than me, just lack responsibility and will likely always live and act like college students.

I grew up driving RWD hand-me downs, it was never fun. However I think the experience has helped me escape some pretty menacing fish-tails and icy incidents. I'll drive this truck into the ground before I get something decent, hopefully it makes it until I can get a house. Which is hopefully very, very soon. Been keeping an eye on some listings and the wife agrees that it will have a dedicated space for brewing. I can not.. wait..

My friends, though older than me, just lack responsibility and will likely always live and act like college students.

I grew up driving RWD hand-me downs, it was never fun. However I think the experience has helped me escape some pretty menacing fish-tails and icy incidents. I'll drive this truck into the ground before I get something decent, hopefully it makes it until I can get a house. Which is hopefully very, very soon. Been keeping an eye on some listings and the wife agrees that it will have a dedicated space for brewing. I can not.. wait..

Wish I could afford one of these. :D
2016-Audi-Q7.jpg

Yeah no doubt... definitely think I'm going SUV when I can. Tired of having a truck, too many people expect you to haul stuff for them. Man that is sharp.

This is what I do. I just use an old growler with an airlock and keep it in a cabinet and feed it every so often.

This is what I do. I just use an old growler with an airlock and keep it in a cabinet and feed it every so often.

Same here. I have a 1 gallon jug with some 1.030 wort in it and a lot of different dregs for my culture. Hopefully I can get a smaller wine barrel in the near future.

Back