What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SN Torpedo. Good but too strong. Tastes like a marketing trend. Another notch against IPA.

IPA: If it's not stellar, why bother?

Downtown Brown from Lost Coast. Found some bombers while out shopping. Got to be one of the best Brown ales in the country. Last time I was down there, they were selling cases with slightly misaligned labels for $20. Should have purchased a couple more, the guy on the label has it right.

img_5853-55845.jpg

Time for a homebrew.

Weihenstephaner Hefe, my first hefe. I enjoyed it. I'm more of an IPA hot weather guy but I see the allure.

My father really enjoyed it as well and all he drinks is Rolling Rock. One more step to get him off big 3. It's great to see his lemon face when I give him an IPA.

A Braggot mixed from Sweet Mead and IPA. I did this an experiment, but me and the GF are really starting to like it!

Braggot SDC11867.jpg

Homebrew wheat all grain... No adj. just hallertau and citra. 6% great mouth feel for a summer time brew!

Russian River Redemption, followed by my Tripel I used cascade in the flameout, then dry hopped twice with 1oz per gal, once with Zythos, and again with more Cascade. Didn't bother filtering, still great.

MisterTipsy said:
They make some beers that are just OK. Rabid Rabbit Saison is by no means an excellent Saison, Moloko isn't a great stout, but they are still good.

Most of their beers are very good though.

Really? I absolutely love Rabid Rabbit. I've searched for a clone recipe in vain.

Port Brewing Shark Attack,did not hold up to aging well- only 4-5 mo store shelf. First pour was nice clear red slight brown.Tasted boozy cloying sweet carmel very piney(but awkward- i like piney) and more alcohol not to metion flat and thin tasting. Second pour from the bomber had a(surprisingly) huge yeast mud cake(I was startled and thought it was a mouse or something for a second) that thumped into the glass giving an apperance of the Missisisippi River. Second fail for me since Santas little helper which was ripp off price.

jonmohno said:
Port Brewing Shark Attack,did not hold up to aging well- only 4-5 mo store shelf. First pour was nice clear red slight brown.Tasted boozy cloying sweet carmel very piney(but awkward- i like piney) and more alcohol not to metion flat and thin tasting. Second pour from the bomber had a(surprisingly) huge yeast mud cake(I was startled and thought it was a mouse or something for a second) that thumped into the glass giving an apperance of the Missisisippi River. Second fail for me since Santas little helper which was ripp off price.

Yeast mice are the WORST.

Yeast mice are the WORST.

I dont know,dude.It was like thunk,splash and a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,what the.. before i was even at the bottem yet. Guess i get a nice dose of b vitamins. It is something i noticed as far as not feeling ****ty in the morning compared to some filitered pasterized beers. Homebrews are best for feeling ok the next day. After 1 or 2 too many. 4+ then your on your own.

Wrapping up my 2nd 9% Baltic Porter for the night and feeling much better about my day. Now trying to decide if I grab another or go for a 7% Belgian Blonde because it's too early to call it quits I think.

Hoptimum. Love it, but I'm mad for not drinking all of this earlier. The aroma is minimal, compared to what it was. This time, I'll drive to Chico to do a growler fill, and buy a case.

Cold Spring Moonlight Ale

f4c2caf1101af90045cbec107ffcb27a_320x320.jpg

It's a porter mixed with a bock and it drinks like a light beer. Sweet. Minimal hops. Watery.

The best thing about it is the big purple can. The beer isn't bad, but it isn't something I'd buy again.

Cold Spring Moonlight Ale

f4c2caf1101af90045cbec107ffcb27a_320x320.jpg

It's a porter mixed with a bock and it drinks like a light beer. Sweet. Minimal hops. Watery.

The best thing about it is the big purple can. The beer isn't bad, but it isn't something I'd buy again.

Did you post that on Google+ earlier? I remember somebody saying almost the exact same thing.
Who makes that beer? I mean, it looks awesome with its bright purple colors... some folks might even think you were drinking a 4loco or whatever.

My summit/Citra/cascade pale ale. I was worried about it early on, but now, it's my favorite pale ale. Definately going to brew this one again!

Did you post that on Google+ earlier? I remember somebody saying almost the exact same thing.
Who makes that beer? I mean, it looks awesome with its bright purple colors... some folks might even think you were drinking a 4loco or whatever.

I posted something similar on ratebeer.com earlier today. I don't use Google+.

Cold Spring is the brewery based in MN. I had their Honey Almond Wheat which reminded me of honey nut cheerios. It was Ok.

The one beer that I like enough to buy more than once is their John Henry Spiker Ale.

cold-spring-john-henry-3-lick-spiker-ale.jpg

jerryteague said:
My summit/Citra/cascade pale ale. I was worried about it early on, but now, it's my favorite pale ale. Definately going to brew this one again!

Sounds good, where's the recipe

I had a Dead Ringer that was 2 months old, I was really happy with it. Then a Founder's Breakfast Stout to watch the storm with.

Tomorrow we're picking up 10th anniversary Ruination. $9 a bomber isn't bad, I'm excited.

Back