What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those of you that have made sours...I got about 2.5 gallons of wort that I'm going to make a sour stout out of. I've been feeding some dregs for about a couple of weeks. Should I ferment first with S04 and then pitch the dregs after the 04 is done or just ferment completely with the dregs? OG is 1.051.

Drinking some coffee while contemplating what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dregs only will make it more sour/funky, thats what I usually do. If you only have a bottle or 2 worth of dregs you may need some sacc to get it going.

To those of you that have made sours...I got about 2.5 gallons of wort that I'm going to make a sour stout out of. I've been feeding some dregs for about a couple of weeks. Should I ferment first with S04 and then pitch the dregs after the 04 is done or just ferment completely with the dregs? OG is 1.051.

Drinking some coffee while contemplating what to do.

In the American Sour Beers book he mentions that pitching sacch and bacteria/brett together from the beginning seems to make the best sours. Thats what i do and would recommend to anyone.

You can do either method. I have. Did you make a starter for the dregs? Id make sure I have enough to get the job done.

Dregs only will make it more sour/funky, thats what I usually do. If you only have a bottle or 2 worth of dregs you may need some sacc to get it going.

I'm not sure how to measure the dregs. I mixed the dregs from Saison Brett, LC 4, and Sanctification and feed them in a growler for the last few weeks. I also have some dregs from LC 3 I could throw in.

I'm not sure how to measure the dregs. I mixed the dregs from Saison Brett, LC 4, and Sanctification and feed them in a growler for the last few weeks. I also have some dregs from LC 3 I could throw in.

No need to measure dregs if you pitch with sacch.

No need to measure dregs if you pitch with sacch.

I didn't think far enough ahead to purchase sacch ;) I might go get some this week. I think I'll just pitch the dregs for now and see what happens. Thanks for help guys.

****. Everyone's drinking my stuff except me.

@Hello it's not. Robust Porter came
Out rather hoppy, I'd say. Bitterness and flavor are what you're tasting.

Last time I kegged a cider I didn't bother stabilizing it, keg has plenty of protection, it will slowly dry out more, mine was on tap for quite a while and only got better IMO.

Well, it's 3 gallons and will be kept cold obviously. So maybe it's unnecessary. I'll go for it. :D
It's a 5-day cider. I actually like it without doing anything else but I have some Aj to get rid of, less than a gallon, so I'll pour that in there. My mama will be happy.

Taster of my mayhaw saison that won second place best in show at lhbs competition today. Won 3 medals overall for 4 beers 2 for this one and one for my English mild

****. Everyone's drinking my stuff except me.

@Hello it's not. Robust Porter came
Out rather hoppy, I'd say. Bitterness and flavor are what you're tasting.

Lmao. That feeling you get when you realize people you know have more of your home brew than you.

An old ass (probably from 12 months back) Mission IPA. couldn't find a date on the bottle so just wrote old. :D
3 hours in urgent care & I have a stress fracture. Mama is coming tomorrow so I'm bummed that I'll have to take time away from her to see an orthopedist.
View attachment 237794

That sucks - hope it doesn't slow you down!

Go Browns! (really just want Atlanta to lose, and I have Gordon and Crow in FFL):

I will say your cheering put them over the top for the win as time expired! Thanks! :mug:

Drink now or wait?

Time to be a bastard

That had better be in your belly by now!

About to wonder down for another. Late start after realizing I needed to clean gutters, put away patio stuff, hang wreaths and do a few other outdoor chores. Thankfully that crap is all done now!

hb hefe after returning from the hospital with a 6.75lb baby girl. Birth went really smooth and no complications at all. Second time was a breeze compared to the first.

20141123_160531.jpg

I will say your cheering put them over the top for the win as time expired! Thanks! :mug:

I'll take it, I only wish I had some Seattle beer handy to wake up Marshawn Lynch's numbers. That being said...

I have brewed Scotch ales, drank Scotch ales, and even medaled with Scotch ales. And sir, this is a pretty tasty Scotch ale.

Just finished an American Amber (extract kit) that a friend gave me. It's his very first brew and he got it from the local LHBS and it is still green, but very good malt flavor though minimal to no hop character noted. IBU's must be in the teens... Very good initial effort- B+!

Back