What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had I known that I would have sent you a whole line up to try.

I don't think Founders makes a bad beer. Everyone I've had has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had two that were pretty bad in my opinion. Mango Magnifico and Rubaeus. But their great beers outweigh the bad. Speaking of Founders, I can't wait for this year's Backwoods Bastard. I only found one four pack last year. I'm hunting down more this year because that's an awesome beer.

I've had two that were pretty bad in my opinion. Mango Magnifico and Rubaeus. But their great beers outweigh the bad. Speaking of Founders, I can't wait for this year's Backwoods Bastard. I only found one four pack last year. I'm hunting down more this year because that's an awesome beer.

I thought Rubaeus was pretty good, but I wholeheartedly agree with Mango Magnifico being an awful beer. I got in a fight with that beer trying to get it down. I won in the end, but it wasn't pretty.

I thought Rubaeus was pretty good, but I wholeheartedly agree with Mango Magnifico being an awful beer. I got in a fight with that beer trying to get it down. I won in the end, but it wasn't pretty.

You're a better man than me I drain poured 3/4 of the one I tried.

2011 Riserva. Either this didn't age well or was mishandled. Thinking latter since it only cost me $12 at a local bar.

1413771870649.jpg

Never heard of the Mango Magnifico. I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but I didn't think it was to bad. Can't wait for Backwoods Bastard! I've already got mine reserved when it gets here. ;)

You're a better man than me I drain poured 3/4 of the one I tried.

I've still got one in my cellar and I've been wondering for a while now what exactly I should do with it.

mattmille's caramel apple cider. Very tasty and a lot sweeter than most cider's I've had, which is a good thing.

CameraZOOM-20141019222935939.jpg

Innis and Gunn... If I were a rich man, I'd quit brewing all-together and fill my fridge with this stuff. I paid 21 bucks for 8 of these beers yesterday. I believe the store ripped me off, but it's the only one I can find it in these days.

What a great beer though.

So glad I got a 4 pack before they were pulled.

Only glass I had that would contain it's awesomeness.

1413774791492.jpg

So next Sunday I am going to an event at Flat 12 where I am going to be given 6.5 gallons of wort and brew in the parking lot with 24 other brewers doing the same:
1.044 OG (pre boil), 7 SRM.
36% Briess Pale Malt
18% Briess Bonlander Munich
18% Briess Aromatic
18% Briess Flaked Wheat
10% Briess Carapils

Only requirement is that if you add any dme or steeping grains you use Briess as they are giving away the base. I am honestly at a loss of somewhere fun to take this thing so unless inspiration strikes, it is going to be a pale with a metric ass load of Amarillo and/or Simcoe because those are the bags that are already open. I like the idea of cold steeping some chocolate and roast and being the one guy to make a porter out of this starting point, but don't like the idea of creating an epic failure on a beer I know people outside of my home are going to be drinking.

A lack in judgment perhaps, but I'm asking you drunks for help.

second cup of jo.

I just read a six page thread about cold steeping that never told me anything about cold steeping. I know of about six people that need a visit from a berry punching BK, but I don't know anything about cold steeping.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cold-steep-dark-grains-96055/

Oh well, coffee is on.

Hah, yes, I read the same thread and learned nothing when I was researching for yesterday's brew. Cold steeped choc and roasted barley for a porter. 1 lb grain in 2.5 qt water for 24 hours. Strained and added at the beginning of the boil. Wort tasted great, very smooth and rich in the end. Efficiency was a bit low, but I don't think it was due to the cold steep. Had a few other hiccups in the brew day that prob accounted for that.

Hah, yes, I read the same thread and learned nothing when I was researching for yesterday's brew. Cold steeped choc and roasted barley for a porter. 1 lb grain in 2.5 qt water for 24 hours. Strained and added at the beginning of the boil. Wort tasted great, very smooth and rich in the end. Efficiency was a bit low, but I don't think it was due to the cold steep. Had a few other hiccups in the brew day that prob accounted for that.

That was a very useful post for me. Thanks.

I think that addition could work well with that malt bill for your event too. Pre-steep the grain and strain it into a growler and you're good to go.

.... And in a growler they will never know if it was breiss malt or not. Lol. I am thinking I will want to toss a little dme in it if I go any heavier with the non fermentable water additions but I can plug the numbers on that later.

Glad your Fitz clone went well - hopefully the end product will be as tasty.

Patrick - cold steeping is easy - don't sweat it. You'll get all the color and flavor from the grains, but none of the astringency that you don't want in a brown or porter. I might be tempted to try a coffee brown with that base, but that's just me. ;)

Glad your Fitz clone went well - hopefully the end product will be as tasty.

Patrick - cold steeping is easy - don't sweat it. You'll get all the color and flavor from the grains, but none of the astringency that you don't want in a brown or porter. I might be tempted to try a coffee brown with that base, but that's just me. ;)

First thing I thought of when I saw the grain bill was a coffee brown as well. Bump it up to around 6% and use a less attenuating yeast. I add a pound of cold steeped coffee at bottling/kegging.

On the water.

Coff.

Love waking up to meeting cancellations (one I had to be at the office for).

Going into the office day just turned into brew day.

First thing I thought of when I saw the grain bill was a coffee brown as well. Bump it up to around 6% and use a less attenuating yeast. I add a pound of cold steeped coffee at bottling/kegging.

On the water.

I think I could get on board with a coffee plan. Likely still with a chocolate malt addition but a smaller one. Gonna have to go yeast shopping. Less attenuating being a quality I have never really shot for. ;) I do have some 1450 in a jar from my last porter. Other than that I only use 05 and kolsh for the most part. Used to have more but swmbo asked me to limit the number of jars in the fridge.

I think I could get on board with a coffee plan. Likely still with a chocolate malt addition but a smaller one. Gonna have to go yeast shopping. Less attenuating being a quality I have never really shot for. ;) I do have some 1450 in a jar from my last porter. Other than that I only use 05 and kolsh for the most part. Used to have more but swmbo asked me to limit the number of jars in the fridge.

I really like 1968 in my dark beers, although it can be a temperamental little *****. Denny's favorite would probably work well.

Man, Doppelbock +
Empty stomach = not a good idea.

I need some food. But beer tastes better.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413820034.278789.jpg

Hauling some splits into the house. It was 29F here last night. ****ing cold.

Coffee......these nights with the newborn are pretty rough. Trying to help the wife as much as possible while shes feeding and its making us both super tired. But thats what coffee is for right!!

Coffee......these nights with the newborn are pretty rough. Trying to help the wife as much as possible while shes feeding and its making us both super tired. But thats what coffee is for right!!

No. That's what beer is for.

Protein shake & water.
Broke a bottle of beer today hitting a punching bag. Figure that one out.
Got a text from a neighbor who basically thinks I'm her floccin' handyman. Her heater isn't working and she "froze" the last two nights. She needs me to come take a look. You know, because I'm not working or anything and somehow I have my HVAC certification to boot. I'm all for helping but nowadays I only hear from her when something needs to be moved, fixed, or mowed, or built. :( I need a nap...and a hug.

Think I need another beer after reading that /rant.

Back