What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet, but I may get a chance tonight and, if I do, I'll drink it first so I have a clear palate! Looks like my IPA has slowed to a crawl...bubbles are a minute apart, more or less. I think I'm going with the dry hop today.

On the coffee this a.m.
No worries. Just wasn't sure if I missed it.
My IPA has a nice krausen layer now. It really had a slow start because I do not have a heat side to my ferm chamber. I'm thinking I have to get rid of that or get rid of the beer fridge so I can park in my garage again. Therefore, I haven't invested any money in the chamber other than the initial purchase cost.

I've never dry hopped, do I wait for krausen to drop? Do we add the hops directly to the beer without sanitizing them? Such a noob!

Brew day. To beer or not to beer!

Beer! Beer! Beer!

Coffee. I should have water. I woke last night with a wicked belly ache. Wondering if Mac-U-roni food truck did it.

Kölsch 151 from my recent eMAW.

My head has been aching all day from some kind of allergy, so I would probably drink something a bit stronger except I still need to maintain a façade of professionalism for another couple of hours.

Love kolsch style beer. What did you think of it?

Coffee. Making mini mashes (1 quart) for a homebrew education event. 10 base malts. Lots of fun.

Coffee. Took the last two days off from beer. now organizing a happy hour for this afternoon.

My IPA has a nice krausen layer now. It really had a slow start because I do not have a heat side to my ferm chamber. I'm thinking I have to get rid of that or get rid of the beer fridge so I can park in my garage again. Therefore, I haven't invested any money in the chamber other than the initial purchase cost.

I've never dry hopped, do I wait for krausen to drop? Do we add the hops directly to the beer without sanitizing them? Such a noob!

Beer! Beer! Beer!

Coffee. I should have water. I woke last night with a wicked belly ache. Wondering if Mac-U-roni food truck did it.

Usually after 7-10 days or until the beer has finished fermenting to your liking! Hops are naturally antibacterial, so there's no need to sanitize. Just dump them in or do what I do and use a paint strainer bag. A lot less of a mess to deal with.

Beer! Beer! Beer!tt5

Coffee. I should have water. I woke last night with a wicked belly ache. Wondering if Mac-U-roni food rtruck did it.

I've never dry hopped either! I sanitized the package, the scissors and around the lid. Then I just cut open the package and dumped the hops in. I sanitized my long spoon and stirred the top lightly and resealed. I tasted just a drop...whew! Bitter!

Too early ? I'm just hanging out with my pal Abner!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399473877.753207.jpg

Usually after 7-10 days or until the beer has finished fermenting to your liking! Hops are naturally antibacterial, so there's no need to sanitize. Just dump them in or do what I do and use a paint strainer bag. A lot less of a mess to deal with.
Okay great! My idea of the krausen dropping seems good.
I've never dry hopped either! I sanitized the package, the scissors and around the lid. Then I just cut open the package and dumped the hops in. I sanitized my long spoon and stirred the top lightly and resealed. I tasted just a drop...whew! Bitter!

Going to wait for the krausen to drop. Hoping it is a good bitter and not an abusive on my tongue bitter.

Water.

Beer! Beer! Beer!

With the dry hopping hold off until fermentation is pretty much done. Krausedndrop is a good time, as you do not want the airlock to blow out all the wonderful hop aroma that the dry hop is contributing. You can either secondary on the hops, dump them in the primary after fermentation wanes, or do what I do and throw them in a hop sock in the keg so that you get the dry hopping going while you carbonate (2-for one, less wait, wahoo!). And dont worry about sanitizing the hops, sanitize any hop socks or such that will touch the wort though.

No heat side to ferm chamber? Just wait another month, things should warm up plenty on their own for that to not be much of an issue anymore.

And I be drankin a big old cup (actually tupperware container that was converted to a to go cup by the food truck people) of Thai Iced Tea.

Okay great! My idea of the krausen dropping seems good.

Going to wait for the krausen to drop. Hoping it is a good bitter and not an abusive on my tongue bitter.

Water.

I hope you're feeling better...I would hate for a food truck to cause me problems and turn me off from others!

Sounds like I'm okay on adding my hops today to the IPA...so maybe racking Sunday-ish. I do like to rack, so it can settle for a day or two and it helps me avoid too much sediment at bottling. I am a little worried about the bitterness...it was definitely very strong. The recipe says to age for a month (bottle conditioning, in my case, I guess.), maybe that's necessary for the bitterness to become palatable?

Back on the coffee.

DSC04670.jpg

I hope you're feeling better...I would hate for a food truck to cause me problems and turn me off from others!

Sounds like I'm okay on adding my hops today to the IPA...so maybe racking Sunday-ish. I do like to rack, so it can settle for a day or two and it helps me avoid too much sediment at bottling. I am a little worried about the bitterness...it was definitely very strong. The recipe says to age for a month (bottle conditioning, in my case, I guess.), maybe that's necessary for the bitterness to become palatable?

Back on the coffee.

The hops there look like you are feeding ducks or fish in a pond. Such a wonderful sight.

And the food trucks (at least the ones here in DC) are actually rather good now. They are way better than the dirty water dogs/half-smokes and feel-awful (falafel) from the carts. Basically, if there is a line at the truck, you should be okay to eat there.

The hops there look like you are feeding ducks or fish in a pond. Such a wonderful sight.

And the food trucks (at least the ones here in DC) are actually rather good now. They are way better than the dirty water dogs/half-smokes and feel-awful (falafel) from the carts. Basically, if there is a line at the truck, you should be okay to eat there.

Yeah we have a pretty awesome food truck scene here too. Pretty sure Fukuburger and Slidin' Thru have been on food network/travel channel/cooking channel around 25 times

Beer! Beer! Beer!

+1 on dry hopping in the keg, IPAs Don't stay long,I like to drink as fresh as possible!

I also dry hop in my keg nowadays.

My belief is that since it tends to stay cooler (38-40ish usually), I haven't really run into the grassy/vegetal off flavors that some people associate with dry hopping for an extended period, and the hops seem to remain "fresh" and more aromatic for a much longer time than when I dry hop in the fermenter, then transfer.

I also dry hop in my keg nowadays.

My belief is that since it tends to stay cooler (38-40ish usually), I haven't really run into the grassy/vegetal off flavors that some people associate with dry hopping for an extended period, and the hops seem to remain "fresh" and more aromatic for a much longer time than when I dry hop in the fermenter, then transfer.

I concur. I would never miss out on the aroma enhancement opportunity that is dry hopping in a keg of ipa. I also dry hop in secondary so I guess I double dry hop. I'm drinking my Rye IPA right now and it is wonderfully aromatic.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399495336.728649.jpg
The sexy lady in the background is The Barefoot Contessa.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back on the coffee.
I'll have to try mine. Like I said, it hope it's not the bitterness that is basically abusive on your tongue. Typically you do not have to age IPAs. If the recipe was good then we should be fine. The recipe didn't look bad but maybe it's a certain hop you do not like.

It's Mac-U-Roni. I've had that food a number of times at beer festivals. I had it last night and it was the last thing I ate. It could be the coffee nut brown. Maybe that's infected or poison. :(

Thanks all for the advice with dry hopping. I think I may do it in the keg after all.

Reason #347 to break the "no drinking during the week rule": it's my birthday and I'll drink if I want to! :rockin:
View attachment 198008

Pretty good IPA - and fresh!

"It's Wednesday and I'll drink if I want to" has always been good enough for me.

In any event, happy birthday!

The opposite of what I had earlier. This is the nut brown 3:1 robust porter blend version.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399500175.061483.jpg

Large pint of my Amarillo/Simcoe Pale. Not as much of a fruity blast as it was on the first couple but it is still great. I think my system is too used to drinking Carib's. These are hitting me harder than it used to.

Back