What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it's easier to commute into cities like Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit, etc. I've been to many cities across the country that I thought were like NYC and shocked me at how they don't compare to NYC in terms of the cluster**** of traffic to and from work. I've met people in these cities (clients) that drove upwards of 1.5 hours to work, one-way. I can't do that. Driving from where I live to Stamford, CT takes 45 minutes without traffic. There is traffic every day, to and from Stamford. It's more like a 1.5-hour commute. That's just stupid.

Second Coff. I think I am going to hammer beers after work. /rambo

i am currently in the process of moving 50 mins away from where i live now...this will increase my work commuiate from 5 mins to 55 mins...i am moving out of the city and back into the country... to me the 55min drive is so worth it in terms of location... im sick of sharing a wall (townhouse) with my neighbor and im getting out.... dont know if this helps at all but i just wanted to ramble also

oh and more coff

55 min drive through the countryside of city? Big difference.

Start Ramble:

I have a dumb question but didn't want to start a new thread. How do you all avoid dumping yeast when decanting a starter? I use a 2L flask and I cold crash overnight, but when I try to just pour off the starter beer I always feel like I'm dumping yeast along with it. Seems like an auto-syphon would work better, but mine is too big for a 2L flask. Am I over-thinking this?

/End ramble.

How do you think it compares to the DFH version?

I thought the Birra del Borgo version was drier with higher carb level. Liked it better than DFH version.

I have not tried DFH's version. Though I am not a fan of higher carb levels in general, I did enjoy it in this one. Would be an awesome beer for the warmer weather on it's way. I have already thought to seek out a clone recipe for this!

Start Ramble:

I have a dumb question but didn't want to start a new thread. How do you all avoid dumping yeast when decanting a starter? I use a 2L flask and I cold crash overnight, but when I try to just pour off the starter beer I always feel like I'm dumping yeast along with it. Seems like an auto-syphon would work better, but mine is too big for a 2L flask. Am I over-thinking this?

/End ramble.

I have a small auto-siphon that I use for this (and to pull my samples for gravity checking/sampling) Does the job very well.

Start Ramble:

/End ramble.

Let's state the facts, first. You'll never get every yeast cell out of the starter into your beer. If you're worried that you're decanting too much yeast when the starter liquid/wort level gets low, then just pitch a little bit of the liquid. Not a big deal in my experience. I do that all the time.

I have a small auto-siphon that I use for this (and to pull my samples for gravity checking/sampling) Does the job very well.

nice, that's what I always thought would be better than disturbing the yeast cake. Did you just get that at a LHBS?

Edit: Just saw on my LHBS's web site that they have a mini auto siphon. Perfect.

Let's state the facts, first. You'll never get every yeast cell out of the starter into your beer. If you're worried that you're decanting too much yeast when the starter liquid/wort level gets low, then just pitch a little bit of the liquid. Not a big deal in my experience. I do that all the time.

You're right. Even if I pour off only half of the liquid, that's still better than pitching 2L of oxidized beer into the fermenter.

Yeah, and you def want to make sure there's no more yeast in suspension after cold crash. You don't want to decant too early, or your pouring out the "good" yeast cells that stay in suspension the longest.

Water. Hit my personal best on pullups today. /ramble

I feel so good, I might hit a brewery on the way home.

I find it's easier to commute into cities like Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit, etc. I've been to many cities across the country that I thought were like NYC and shocked me at how they don't compare to NYC in terms of the cluster**** of traffic to and from work. I've met people in these cities (clients) that drove upwards of 1.5 hours to work, one-way. I can't do that. Driving from where I live to Stamford, CT takes 45 minutes without traffic. There is traffic every day, to and from Stamford. It's more like a 1.5-hour commute. That's just stupid.

I used to use the drive home (45 mins without traffic) to decompress mentally and walk in the house fresh. I'd throw on some smooth jazz or light easy listening on the radio and just zone out. When I worked close to home, the drive was only 10 mins and I'd get home still stressed from the day.

I used to use the drive home (45 mins without traffic) to decompress mentally and walk in the house fresh. I'd throw on some smooth jazz or light easy listening on the radio and just zone out. When I worked close to home, the drive was only 10 mins and I'd get home still stressed from the day.

Nice ramble.

What are you drinking?

I found the Detroit commute (about 30 miles each way) to be tolerable if you are an early riser and work late hours. But if you try to get into downtown on a 9-5 schedule, good luck with that crap. And during the winter, it could take 2+ hours to do that 30 miles on certain days.

I did that for years...the commute was one of the reasons I changed jobs.

EDIT: and I am 100% certain I would be making more money today had I stayed at that job, but I do not regret leaving for one second.

Coffee. Waiting for later. Open bar at a surprise 50th birthday party but the best they'll have is yeungling in sure so mabey ill bring some home brewed road soda

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Flight at Martin City Brewing. Their bier de garde is fantastic.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395425315.432725.jpg

Weird aftertaste. Super bitter finish. Meh.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395426456.345417.jpg

Sent from my mobile device. /rant

And now's when I need to stop looking at this thread until I can actually get home and crack something open...

Working out of our office in the city today. Going to make stop on the way home and pick up some goodies I think.

Back