What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some new tea I picked up yesterday. Irish Breakfast. I've had English Breakfast and Scottish Breakfast, but first time with this. It's tasty. While prepping to bottle my two Altbiers.

I've never had Irish or Scottish Breakfast. what are the main flavor differences from English?

I've never had Irish or Scottish Breakfast. what are the main flavor differences from English?

They're similar, as they're all primarily Assam blends. But usually the English is the mildest, where the Scottish is richer an "maltier". And the Irish should be somewhere in between. I've had plenty of different English Breakfast blends, but only this one Irish Breakfast, but that generally seems to be true in my experience (although I've had English Breakfast with a fuller flavor than this). The Scottish Breakfast is my favorite of the three (although I've only had a couple of those too).

Alka seltzer... My grandpa swore on it for hangovers... Never tried it but I'll try anything right now

1392567213204.jpg

They're similar, as they're all primarily Assam blends. But usually the English is the mildest, where the Scottish is richer an "maltier". And the Irish should be somewhere in between. I've had plenty of different English Breakfast blends, but only this one Irish Breakfast, but that generally seems to be true in my experience (although I've had English Breakfast with a fuller flavor than this). The Scottish Breakfast is my favorite of the three (although I've only had a couple of those too).

I'll keep an eye open for it. thanks!

Water while I mull over going to tired hands to wait in line in the cold for two hours. I think I may pass on this one.

I took a pass on this ... I can still remember freezing my tail off last month and didn't want to do it again. I'm guessing you were on your own this time out? :)

Had my coffee with sausage gravy & biscuits at Bob Evans (love that stuff!) and now some water before I get enough energy to go down to the cellar, clean some beers and pull something out to drink.

I took a pass on this ... I can still remember freezing my tail off last month and didn't want to do it again. I'm guessing you were on your own this time out? :)

Had my coffee with sausage gravy & biscuits at Bob Evans (love that stuff!) and now some water before I get enough energy to go down to the cellar, clean some beers and pull something out to drink.

Yep, on my own until it gets warmer out. My girlfriend looked at me and said have fun as I was getting ready to leave the house.

The line is slowly moving and I am getting closer and closer to having a beer.

I don't know, it sounds a bit wonky to me to miss the OG by .040 on an extract beer (I can see missing the color). What were the steeping grains?

This was the original recipe. I went in and asked for it to be scaled for me. I was told do not add more steeping grains, just double the DME. So we did. OG was supposed to be 1.090 according to the LHBS. I just plugged everything in and it was supposed to be 1.059. The color; however, should be much darker than it turned out. We'll see what happens. Doesn't look like the yeast has started doing it's thing yet for whatever reason.

It'll be beer, but I gotta say, something is wrong whether it is at the LHBS or just with my grains I suppose. I also do not think or I hope it doesn't turn out too dry. I would like a medium bodied beer here.

Drinking nada. Just here to answer a question. :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 12.34.01 PM.png

This was the original recipe. I went in and asked for it to be scaled for me. I was told do not add more steeping grains, just double the DME. So we did. OG was supposed to be 1.090 according to the LHBS. I just plugged everything in and it was supposed to be 1.059.

It'll be beer, but I gotta say, something is wrong whether it is at the LHBS or just with my grains I suppose.

i think your LHBS steered you wrong. I just put the original grain bill into brewers-assistant.com and only come up with a 1.069. Then scale up to 10 Gal and basically everything doubles on the grain and extract side of things. To keep hop profile / IBUs, you need to change some stuff, but for going from 5 to 10 gal with mostly extract, doubling will get you close.

This was the original recipe. I went in and asked for it to be scaled for me. I was told do not add more steeping grains, just double the DME. So we did. OG was supposed to be 1.090 according to the LHBS. I just plugged everything in and it was supposed to be 1.059. The color; however, should be much darker than it turned out. We'll see what happens. Doesn't look like the yeast has started doing it's thing yet for whatever reason.

It'll be beer, but I gotta say, something is wrong whether it is at the LHBS or just with my grains I suppose. I also do not think or I hope it doesn't turn out too dry. I would like a medium bodied beer here.

Yup itll be beer

Well been sitting at Fortnight for 8 minutes and have yet to be served or looked at. Looks like me and my empty growler will be going home soon. :( what's a girl gotta do for a beer?

Edit: got the beer. Porter. Not a bad beer at all.

More Gandhi. Homer ****. You wouldn't understand.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392578591.507749.jpg

I come up with 1.057 with that recipe for 5gal, which is inline with what Rogue says Shakespeare is (15 degree Plato).
It is very hard to miss og on an extract beer, since steeping grains add so little to the gravity. I wonder where they came up with 1.090? Your color and flavor profile will be off for sure.

Latest posts

Back