What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had Mean Old Tom a few times and there is barely any vanilla flavor there. As it warms, you'll get a little bit of it but not much.

Maine Beer Co. makes some good beers but nothing outstanding, IMO.

My thoughts exactly about the vanilla.

IMG_0884.jpg

Some apple cider that I cranked up and fermented to 12% and then jacked it. Been bottled since back in August 2013. Strong stuff. The bitterness is just now beginning to fade.

1392081482590.jpg

If it had a slight vanilla hint to it, theyd almost be the same beer. Moo-hoo obviously doesnt have the vanilla, but they were pretty close non the less.

I don't know about that. Send me 4 more VBBS and I'll compare.

Drinking, or drank 2x milk stout. Solid.

Some apple cider that I cranked up and fermented to 12% and then jacked it. Been bottled since back in August 2013. Strong stuff. The bitterness is just now beginning to fade.

The neat thing about jack is that you can start with 6%ABV or 16%ABV and you will end up in the same place as far as ABV goes. The end result of ABV is a function of the temperature, not the abv of the original cider. +1 on the tiny glass. Either that are you use FEE FI FO FUM a lot!

Homebrew...obviously. Vienna Strong Ale. After re-reading a section of Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing," I looked back at my BrewBook to see how much priming sugar I added to my strong ale (that I plan on aging till Christmas), and with an FG of 1.012, I primed with my usual amount of corn sugar. The moral of the story...DON'T DO THAT! Lots and lots of gushers upon opening. Luckily, most of them were Grolsch bottles, so I let them foam a bit, refilled them with each other, and hopefully I'll still have a tasty Xmas beer ;)

I only lost 2 beers from my 2 gallon batch. I'm happy to have saved what I did.

The neat thing about jack is that you can start with 6%ABV or 16%ABV and you will end up in the same place as far as ABV goes. The end result of ABV is a function of the temperature, not the abv of the original cider. +1 on the tiny glass. Either that are you use FEE FI FO FUM a lot!

Really? I had no idea. I took 2 gallons of apple juice, added table sugar to get 1.090 and fermented down to 1.000 Once it was done, I froze the two gallons and dripped it thaw until the only thing left was a gallon and a half of white slushy ice. Got about 750ml of strong, bitter and slightly sour very alcoholic liquid that tastes much stronger than 12%. Couldn't drink it then so I bottled it and stashed it.

Just pouring my second one in a smaller snifter than the first.

my last Petrus Red.

That must be a relief, or maybe you like that beer? I was hoping for Petrus Pale with cherries, but that's not even close.

Drinking a scuppernong saison. Dry hopped this batch with Nelson and it's pretty darn good. Racked the rebrew onto 5 lbs of scuppernongs yesterday with some JP IO Saison and Allagash Mervellieux dregs yesterday. Looking forward to that in a few months.

Homebrew...obviously. Vienna Strong Ale. After re-reading a section of Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing," I looked back at my BrewBook to see how much priming sugar I added to my strong ale (that I plan on aging till Christmas), and with an FG of 1.012, I primed with my usual amount of corn sugar. The moral of the story...DON'T DO THAT! Lots and lots of gushers upon opening. Luckily, most of them were Grolsch bottles, so I let them foam a bit, refilled them with each other, and hopefully I'll still have a tasty Xmas beer ;)

I only lost 2 beers from my 2 gallon batch. I'm happy to have saved what I did.

I'm pretty sure the moral of the story is to make sure your beer is done fermenting before you bottle.

Am I missing something? Explain how removing non alcohol volume and leaving the alcohol doesn't increase the ABV of the final product.

That must be a relief, or maybe you like that beer? I was hoping for Petrus Pale with cherries, but that's not even close.

Drinking a scuppernong saison. Dry hopped this batch with Nelson and it's pretty darn good. Racked the rebrew onto 5 lbs of scuppernongs yesterday with some JP IO Saison and Allagash Mervellieux dregs yesterday. Looking forward to that in a few months.

Did you just kill the IO yesterday?

It's pretty interesting actually. It maxes out around 40%. I saw a chart once with the ABV you could expect given the temperature you were freezing it at. I'll see if I can find it.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Disregard my post above. I thought you were saying you'd still end up with the same ABV you had originally. Been sick today so I haven't had a beer so I'm not thinking clearly. ;)

Wow, you really have to get it cold to go over 30%.

"The following will give you an idea of how concentrated the alcohol can become at a given temperature: at zero degrees ice will form until the liquid reaches 14% alcohol by volume. At 10 below ice will form until it reaches 20%. At 20 below 27% can be made. And, at 30 below 33% alcohol can be obtained."

Taken from http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack/

Sly fox route 113 ipa... A soon as i smelled it i knew i wouldn't like it... As i try more and more beer I've noticed i can tell by the smell if i will like it or not... I'm gonna try and look up the recipe... Maybe its the yeast

1392085409458.jpg

Sly fox route 113 ipa... A soon as i smelled it i knew i wouldn't like it... As i try more and more beer I've noticed i can tell by the smell if i will like it or not... I'm gonna try and look up the recipe... Maybe its the yeast

Now that I'm drinking it and researching i think its the addition of caramel malts in ipas i don't care for

Back