What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have never done a decoction mash - i understand the method (at least i think i do), but don't grasp the end result. What does a decoction produce that a 'normal' or step mash doesn't? Are there any commercial beers that you can taste and say 'obviously they do a decoction when making this'?

All I know is bn did a blind test. Vs a decoction. And majority chose decoction. Im thinking it is better for a nice malt profile to shine through. German beers for the most part are flavour driven by the malts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

All I know is bn did a blind test. Vs a decoction. And majority chose decoction. Im thinking it is better for a nice malt profile to shine through. German beers for the most part are flavour driven by the malts

thanks for the info - i'll have to talk to the brewer at Prost and see what he says. Maybe i can talk him and the brewer from HogsHead - who specialize in English style - to a taste test. The breweries are about 2 miles apart and both make good beer. :)

i have never done a decoction mash - i understand the method (at least i think i do), but don't grasp the end result. What does a decoction produce that a 'normal' or step mash doesn't? Are there any commercial beers that you can taste and say 'obviously they do a decoction when making this'?

I think it enhances the malt character in German beers. And I'd say a good portion of German commercial beers are decoction mashed.

However, I've never done a blind tasting, and I recall another one (I don't recall who did it, Denny maybe?) where decocted outnumbered non-decocted, but "no preference" kept decoction from being the majority.

Also you can roughly simulate a decoction mash with something like melanoidin malt, no?

I don't do it often because it's so much work and takes so long, but sometimes I do it just for kicks.

Thanks FermentNEthinG for reconnecting me with my one true love. For some reason this beer is my all time favorite and is better each time I have it.

Is this 21a imperial stout and is it out again? I've been seeing a lot of people posting it lately am I missing it on the shelves

Im lovin it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

1390629809803.jpg

More water.

Goddamn. It's a Friday night (Saturday morning depending on your time zone), and this thread is dead. Y'all are boring when I'm sober. Now that I've pitched and sealed up the fermenter and cleaned up, I'm gonna go black out.

More water.

Goddamn. It's a Friday night (Saturday morning depending on your time zone), and this thread is dead. Y'all are boring when I'm sober. Now that I've pitched and sealed up the fermenter and cleaned up, I'm gonna go black out.

Eh, Im still drinkin but no use to keep posting if Im just talking to myself lol

Is this 21a imperial stout and is it out again? I've been seeing a lot of people posting it lately am I missing it on the shelves

I wouldn't say its an imperial necessarily. Its a stout brewed with Rocky Mountain oyster shells. And unfortunately it was a one and done type release. They said they might brew it again in future, but not likely. Which is quite sad, it is very tasty.

And this is the scene as of 8 a.m. at a local brewery here in CT for a bottle release.

Ridiculous.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390655759.756805.jpg

I wouldn't say its an imperial necessarily. Its a stout brewed with Rocky Mountain oyster shells. And unfortunately it was a one and done type release. They said they might brew it again in future, but not likely. Which is quite sad, it is very tasty.

I thought "Rocky Mountain Oysters" were cooked bull testicles? I've added lots of crazy things to brews over the years but I'd never consider adding those. That's just nuts!

Lol I'm from the Rockies and they are actually sheep testicles. There is a big fry up every year in my home town. Tried em once, ******* gross. My buddy loves em though. Definetally would not put them in beer

Def not rocky mtn oysters. If you mentioned 21A, you must be referencing the Marooned on Hog Island.

Hog Island, San Francisco = where they got the oysters from.

Def not rocky mtn oysters. If you mentioned 21A, you must be referencing the Marooned on Hog Island.

Hog Island, San Francisco = where they got the oysters from.

Second cup of Coff. Was reading an instagram post from someone waiting in the line at Two Roads who waited "over 3 hours for liquid awesomeness" at NEBCO for a new release when they opened their new shop.

I can't understand how people do this. It's going to make me drink heavily if I keep thinking about it. :D That's the worst part of the craft beer industry, IMO.

And this is the scene as of 8 a.m. at a local brewery here in CT for a bottle release.

Ridiculous.
View attachment 174630

That's insanity. Although, if I had a business I'd look for ways to encourage this on a regular basis to drum up business. BUT, there should be a crowd of people not a line of people. Crowds of people can have fun and enjoy the experience.
I don't care what's at the end of it, waiting in line is never enjoyable.

What's getting released?

Igor's Dream.

Two Roads said the first person (who they have a photo of at the front of the line) was waiting outside of the brewery parking lot when the staff arrived to open the gates. This was at 6:30 a.m. Unbelievable.

Igor's Dream.

Two Roads said the first person (who they have a photo of at the front of the line) was waiting outside of the brewery parking lot when the staff arrived to open the gates. This was at 6:30 a.m. Unbelievable.

Crazy. For me two roads is pretty meh. Would take nebco any day. Have fun at the release though heard it was a fun day

That's insanity. Although, if I had a business I'd look for ways to encourage this on a regular basis to drum up business. BUT, there should be a crowd of people not a line of people. Crowds of people can have fun and enjoy the experience.
I don't care what's at the end of it, waiting in line is never enjoyable.

Agreed. But waiting, in general, is tough. If Two Roads and NEBCO are getting this bad, I can only imagine what the lines were like for Heady up at The Alchemist.

Agreed. But waiting, in general, is tough. If Two Roads and NEBCO are getting this bad, I can only imagine what the lines were like for Heady up at The Alchemist.

I'm about to do the same thing in March for Hunahpu Day. Last year there was almost 10k people there, I was not one of them. They had a major problem with the city and the people lining up outside the night before, the city made them open hours early to get the people off the street. This year they sold 3500 tickets and set it up like a beer fest with about 100 beers to sample for free. It's going to a mess, but hopefully a good time.

Igor's Dream.

Igors dream

Never heard of it. Worth the hype?

Crazy. For me two roads is pretty meh. Would take nebco any day. Have fun at the release though heard it was a fun day

Yeah. I don't buy any of their bottles anymore, but I'm big fan of Road 2 Ruin fresh on tap at the brewery.

When I went back in May of '13 there was no line at all when I went to get some. It really got bad, though when they stopped selling it at the brewery. I wasn't there but I heard the lines were ridiculous the last few days and the parking lot was so full before they even opened for the day that the employees couldn't find a place to park.

Never heard of it. Worth the hype?

Yeah. I don't buy any of their bottles anymore, but I'm big fan of Road 2 Ruin fresh on tap at the brewery.

When I went back in May of '13 there was no line at all when I went to get some. It really got bad, though when they stopped selling it at the brewery. I wasn't there but I heard the lines were ridiculous the last few days and the parking lot was so full before they even opened for the day that the employees couldn't find a place to park.

Not sure if it's worth the hype. Lots of locals flock to that place and most seen like casual beer drinkers and not craft beer fanatics. Two Roads makes OK beer. Nothing I've had from there is fantastic. Their Maibock, Saison and DIPA are pretty good on-tap.

Haven't had Igor, so I can't give my opinion. But put a beer in a 22-oz. bottle, limit production and hand-write a number on the bottle (1-400) and you end up with people doing whatever it takes to get a hold of one.

Same people that drive 5 hours from CT to the alchemist for beer. My wife's cousin's fiancé is one of those people. Unfortunately for him, he drove up to the Alchemist a few months ago only to be told they sold out of Heady. So he spent 3 hours driving around to every beer store he could find in search of Heady. And in the end, he came back to CT with a 4-pack of Heady, as the only store that had it was limiting sales to one 4-pack per person.

Hahahaha

Thank you....Thank you very much.

About to drink cup #4 of coffee. I'm usually on cup 2 by this time but I'm actually re hydrating with coffee today.

Let me know how that rehydrating with a diuretic works out.

I'm about to make some Yirga Cheffe Konga and start getting everything together to brew a biere de mars. Getting started a couple weeks late to have it ready for the vernal equinox, but I slacked on ordering fresh hops.

Not sure if it's worth the hype. Lots of locals flock to that place and most seen like casual beer drinkers and not craft beer fanatics. Two Roads makes OK beer. Nothing I've had from there is fantastic. Their Maibock, Saison and DIPA are pretty good on-tap.

Haven't had Igor, so I can't give my opinion. But put a beer in a 22-oz. bottle, limit production and hand-write a number on the bottle (1-400) and you end up with people doing whatever it takes to get a hold of one.

Same people that drive 5 hours from CT to the alchemist for beer. My wife's cousin's fiancé is one of those people. Unfortunately for him, he drove up to the Alchemist a few months ago only to be told they sold out of Heady. So he spent 3 hours driving around to every beer store he could find in search of Heady. And in the end, he came back to CT with a 4-pack of Heady, as the only store that had it was limiting sales to one 4-pack per person.

Hahahaha

Haha. The stupid shall be punished. Perhaps he should have planned a little better. It says right on their site what their canning days are. He also should have at least gotten some other stuff while he was there. If all I could find was one four pack of Heady, I'd drive my happy ass over to Hill Farmstead and get some other stuff.

Let me know how that rehydrating with a diuretic works out.

I'm about to make some Yirga Cheffe Konga and start getting everything together to brew a biere de mars. Getting started a couple weeks late to have it ready for the vernal equinox, but I slacked on ordering fresh hops.

I know...I know my wife tells me the same thing. Moving on to kombucha next. Will that hydrate me?

Bottle número uno.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390664247.304668.jpg

If that were me, I'd age it and piss everyone off. :D

Way hungover so drinking metric assloads of water and coffee. Had Victory at Sea, Breakfast Stout, 2013 Parabola, 2011 Worldwide Stout, 9 day old Hopslam, and Supplication last night

Back