What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcbaumannerb said:
Looks like some light at the end of the tunnel? Hope you can get that wrapped up soon and get your life back to normal!

Thanks man. There's definitely some light at the end of the tunnel, small though it may be.

BGBC said:
I'll spare everyone the terrible cell picture, but drinking Green Flash's Friendship Brew, collab with St Feuillien, a 'Black Saison'. It's, eh, interesting. Lots of roast and anise flavors, interesting combination. Not something I'd get again, or that I really want to finish a bomber of right now...Also, what makes them think it's ok to call it 'lively carbonation' and think people won't know it's just plain overcarbonated... Had a couple Live Oak Liberation Ales at dinner earlier.

Thought it tasted like which hazel. Truly awful beer.

Usual morning beverages here. Been on a big Asian fruit kick. Dragonfruit with my tea today.

Dark and Gingery. My take on a fortified Dark and Stormy. It started off rough, but is mellowing with age and the ginger and spice is complex and intriguing.

My wife hates it, I love it. That's how I know it is good!

This sounds like a winner! I drink those once a year and definitely enjoy them, despite my liver wanting to beat me for the 4 days we drink 'em!

Awesome! It's not like we're moonshiners! And my kids love helping to bottle so giddyup!

I know! What really gets me is that she is living with her parents and there is countless bottles of wine there and over 20 bottles of hard liquor in the cabinet so they have more booze under their roof than I have under mine.

On the coffee and trying to simmer down, turns out it's counter-productive :cross:

Admans Sole Star, a 2.7% "Pale Amber Ale" that was £1 in Morrisons so i thought why not!
No head (may be over chilled for the style), Dark amber colour, strong hop aroma hits the nose fantastically, nice hop flavour and a bitter aftertaste, little mouthfeel at the start of a sip, but there is a nice mouthfeel as you drink. The hoppy flavour is very moreish, so it's pretty drinkable (surprisingly nice for 2.7%). Certain to get more of these.

Try Adam's ghost ship if they do it. Pretty much their best imo.

Been drinking fullers wild river and batemans mocha lately both nice beers. Sainsbury's new american pale ale is also pretty nice.

Last night I cracked open a green, 3 week old bottle of my Biere de Boucher (Biere de Garde) for a lil QC sampling..wow already carbed up big time and very clean and very tasty. Now I gotta go back to finish the keg and let those babies age more til atleast another 2 weeks just because.

Having a hb

ForumRunner_20131106_130919.jpg

undercarbed ipa while doing chores around the house. Just finished putting 2 new headlights in SWMBO's suv...

Good thing they aren't like TH and will actually fill someone else's growler! :)

Yeah - what's up with that? All of the breweries here are cool like that. Two Roads actually puts a sticker on each growler that leaves that isn't theirs. They are fun about it - not jerks. I am heading out there in a bit for some stuff.

Our breweries in CT also don't charge a 64-oz. growler price for 32 oz.-worth of beer. :D

Nizzle, do you wrap your pot in foil to prevent having to clean it if soot gets all over it?

Drinking a sample of my cider I didn't drink last night and reading about yeast starters.
How come this guy didn't mention a stir plate? I am so confused.
http://hbd.org/uchima/yeaststart/yeaststart.html

Stir plates are not necessary to make a starter, they just make the process easier and better. I have used the "pick up and swirl as often as possible" many times, you just don't get as much oxygen in the starter and don't get as much cell growth as you would if using a stir plate.

Drinking a sample of my cider I didn't drink last night and reading about yeast starters.

You don't have to have a stir plate to do a starter. If you are around you can just give the flask/jug/jar a swirl every 15-30 minutes. You won't get as many yeasties that way, but it will still be better then pitching just the smack pack.

Nizzle, do you wrap your pot in foil to prevent having to clean it if soot gets all over it?

Stir plates not really required. I dont have one and get great starters

It's not necessary to have a stir plate to make yeast starters. But it does make a big difference. Keeping the yeast in suspension and allowing the whirlpool to pull oxygen into the solution builds up a bigger starter in less time is all. But a simple starter can be made in any sterile vessel, with a starter wort of 1.030 or so. Just shaking it every so often for a day or two will build up a nice culture, refrigerate, decant, warm to room temp, then pitch.

Edit:
Stir plates are not necessary to make a starter, they just make the process easier and better. I have used the "pick up and swirl as often as possible" many times, you just don't get as much oxygen in the starter and don't get as much cell growth as you would if using a stir plate.

You don't have to have a stir plate to do a starter. If you are around you can just give the flask/jug/jar a swirl every 15-30 minutes. You won't get as many yeasties that way, but it will still be better then pitching just the smack pack.

Stir plates not really required. I dont have one and get great starters

Yeahthat

Back