What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ForumRunner_20131021_190336.jpg

we're in different boats there. I couldn't care less if the glass is stamped. I don't even clean the labels off anymore (except that port I sent TNGabe). I've heard the whole argument of "what does that say about the brewer" and I will not subscribe to that newsletter. I'm a very firm believer in it's what's on the inside.

I have this OCD problem, all of my caps are the same color by batch, same style bottles by batch, the only difference would be if I bottled some bombers to go along, or 375s to go with the 750s. I agree it's about the product but Im a weirdo. I keg about half of my beers though, and bottle a lot from the kegs.

I have this OCD problem, all of my caps are the same color by batch, same style bottles by batch, the only difference would be if I bottled some bombers to go along, or 375s to go with the 750s. I agree it's about the product but Im a weirdo. I keg about half of my beers though, and bottle a lot from the kegs.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm the same way. Stouts have to get black caps, porters brown caps, etc. Although in your original post it just sounded like you were digging on DFH again because they are stamping their bottles. Would you bottle a batch if they were all the same stamped DFH bottle?

I dont have a problem mixing different bottles but I do stick with the same bottle cap color at least. I know which bottles are worth trying to clean the label off and which ones are worth throwing out (schlaflys, freestate, great divide). I will be so happy the day I start buying kegs so I dont have to bottle so much but I dont mind it too much, I know I will still bottle about half my beers anyway.

Finishing off a HB IPA after I cut my hair and the GF trimmed it up for me. bout to find me another brew to SMACK!

you shine your pennies before you put them into your piggy bank, doncha?

While I usually prefer mom and pop type places, the ribs at Toby Keith's I Love This Bar on the river walk are awesome.

I used to like you.

we're in different boats there. I couldn't care less if the glass is stamped. I don't even clean the labels off anymore (except that port I sent TNGabe). I've heard the whole argument of "what does that say about the brewer" and I will not subscribe to that newsletter. I'm a very firm believer in it's what's on the inside.

And I'm somewhere in between! I could care less if the glass is stamped. I do clean the labels off though, but that's really just so I can easily differentiate my homebrew from commercial stuff. It's just a personal preference. Not principal. Labels on, off, doesn't make the homebrew inside any better or worse!:cross:

You don't drink with your eyes any less than you eat with your eyes. Or at least I don't.

You and me both. I don't even like doing 375s with my 750s, but I do like having some small bottles from each batch and regret it when I don't. Have to be all the same kind of 750s, all 29mm punted, all cork only not punted, all JK style, etc. Batches I bottled this weekend I split between non punted 750 and the same style splits for BdG, and non-punted 750s and 'plain belgian' 33s for 'flemish' saison and that bugged me!

I look forward to having enough Orval skittles for an entire batch and more stubby 33s. I've got a few oddball bottles that irk me, but are too cool to pitch. Gave al of my 22s to a friend and am in the process of finding a new home for long neck 12s. I've still got SN style 12s for things I brew for the mrs.

Too much sharing, sorry.

tyzippers said:
Nothing wrong with that. I'm the same way. Stouts have to get black caps, porters brown caps, etc. Although in your original post it just sounded like you were digging on DFH again because they are stamping their bottles. Would you bottle a batch if they were all the same stamped DFH bottle?

Ugh...but then, why would anyone buy that much DFH?

Would you bottle a batch if they were all the same stamped DFH bottle?

Absolutely not

A. It's their logo not mine. Not that I label all of my beer, but I don't want someone else's logo associated with my product.

B. Their beer sucks as a rule.

C. I'm jealous I can't afford custom stamped bottles.

D. Good on them for becoming too big for their britches, but them, and rogue can go have their private weird beer parties together, I'm not interested.

You don't drink with your eyes any less than you eat with your eyes. Or at least I don't.
to most people, I look like a piece of crap. the expect me to be a lewd, vile, disgusting person with no morals or education. maybe to a point they're right, but not near as far as they expect. "Beer is a reflection of the brewer". it's also part of my "you can't tell me what to do". I know it's ridiculous, but I take what little victories I can.

I can't get on board with hating DFH. There are a few beers I really do like, such as Midas Touch. I get who annoying they can be. I was growing annoyed with them when I watched the only 6 episodes of Brewmasters on Netflix. But still.

No more beer. I think my liver is telling me to knock it off. I wasn't even thrilled to drink the DFH punkin with dessert tonight. May have to get back to the rum & diets for a time. :D

TNGabe said:
Enough with the DFH hating. I don't like to agree with you.

Sorry that we agree on something. Trust me, I don't like to agree with you any more than I have to, but I just can't help disliking DFH. Their beer sucks and no matter how creative Sam whatever is supposed to be, creativity isn't worth crap if the beer just plain sucks.

Drinking a HB hefe thats FOUR MONTHS OLD! (gasp! I know i know) Its still the best beer ive made to date tho :D ANNNNNNNNNNNND it wasnt bottled in a DFH bottle, so its at least twice as good :D

I can't get on board with hating DFH. There are a few beers I really do like, such as Midas Touch. I get who annoying they can be. I was growing annoyed with them when I watched the only 6 episodes of Brewmasters on Netflix. But still.

No more beer. I think my liver is telling me to knock it off. I wasn't even thrilled to drink the DFH punkin with dessert tonight. May have to get back to the rum & diets for a time. :D

I'm with you on this one. Most of their wacky beers are pure crap, but their core beers - 60 min, 90 min, 120 min, Indian Brown - are not great, but they are good. Another one I really like from them is their Chicory Stout.

It takes some time, but you have to learn to ignore your liver. Rum and diet will hit your liver harder than more beer. Plus, beer actually tastes good, so there's that.

Your liver is lying to you. Rum and diet? For cereal.

I think I've made a bad beer. My Autumn Saison I was so excited about is not good. It's been two weeks bottled, maybe it will improve, but I think it's time to throw out the brewer's gold in the freezer.

I'm with you on this one. Most of their wacky beers are pure crap, but their core beers - 60 min, 90 min, 120 min, Indian Brown - are not great, but they are good. .

You just stated my biggest problem with them. These beers are okay, I wouldn't say good. And while 60 minute is reasonably priced, 90 isn't, why charge so much (and package in 4 packs) for something everyone else does better? and everyone else prices theirs the same as 60 minute and packages in 6 packs.

And 120? That's more gimmick than beer, especially for what it costs, I've seen people trading westy 12 for 1 bottle of 120... I'm sorry but they aren't even in the same universe quality wise.

Your liver is lying to you. Rum and diet? For cereal.

I think I've made a bad beer. My Autumn Saison I was so excited about is not good. It's been two weeks bottled, maybe it will improve, but I think it's time to throw out the brewer's gold in the freezer.

A lot of my Saisons taste bad young, but they usually age out nicely. Give it a month or two before you dump..

Now I'm drinking hard apple cider.

IMG-20131021-00336.jpg

Right now drinking my 3rd

Installment of Red Wolf IPA, pacific northwest edition. 7 oz of hops used, most added with 10 mins left on the boil, then 2 oz of Simcoe dry hopped after 8 days in fermenter. It's deliciously hoppy :)
Next weekend I'm experimenting with a hop-forward kolsch bier. Just wondering do you guys think I am pushing my luck with using 5 oz of hops 1 oz each of the following: Tettnanger, Hersbrucker, Fuggles, Saaz and Perle (Perle will be dry hopped after 5-7 days...maybe I should stick to just hopping during boil and not dry hopping this kolsch? Wanted to go for a more Christmas-esque lager style ale, and pushing the hop content of kolsch seems doable, at least to me. Thoughts? :)

You just stated my biggest problem with them. These beers are okay, I wouldn't say good. And while 60 minute is reasonably priced, 90 isn't, why charge so much (and package in 4 packs) for something everyone else does better? and everyone else prices theirs the same as 60 minute and packages in 6 packs.

And 120? That's more gimmick than beer, especially for what it costs, I've seen people trading westy 12 for 1 bottle of 120... I'm sorry but they aren't even in the same universe quality wise.

I agree dfh is over priced. I like their beers just do not buy them that often. There are better options just the pricing is what keeping me from getting them.

A lot of my Saisons taste bad young, but they usually age out nicely. Give it a month or two before you dump..

Now I'm drinking hard apple cider.

Mine don't. Two weeks bottled, ready to drink. Brewer's Gold is the problem.

One last glass of water before tearing into some beer.
Hey Channel, is this the right stuff? It was $2.15 for all that down the road. Almost got some yeast balls for rice wine, but figured I would go back after re-reading that thread.

ForumRunner_20131021_190455.jpg

Mine don't. Two weeks bottled, ready to drink. Brewer's Gold is the problem.

Ahh. I guess what I mean by bad is too much farmhouse funk. It's not that they aren't drinkable young. As a matter of fact most other people like my saisons young. I guess they like the funk more than I do. I prefer my saisons after the funk has mellowed a little. I've never actually used Brewers Gold. Is it old or just bad in general?

you coulda made a Hard Orange Julius!
I think I'd better take it easy for a few days. I drank more then I should have last weekend. That's fun once in a while, but I'd rather not pickle my liver. :)

Hey Channel, is this the right stuff? It was $2.15 for all that down the road. Almost got some yeast balls for rice wine, but figured I would go back after re-reading that thread.

View attachment 155488
Rice wine is interesting stuff. I've got several experiments in that thread you might find interesting.

I'm drinking some banana soda I made with a banana syrup I threw together a while ago. It's better then I expected, more a spitball attempt at soda at this point. Really not bad at all, I'm planning a later recipe with spices and lactose for a banana cream soda.

I wouldn't say that everyone does DIPA better than 90 min. There are some truly crappy DIPAs out there and 90 min is not one of them. Not the best by any stretch, but far from the worst. I have a love hate relationship with 120 min. It's more like a barleywine so I wouldn't call it an IPA, but I don't dislike it either.

Also, I've been noticing more and more DIPAs being packaged in 4 packs. In fact, at the package store I work at there's not a single DIPA that comes in 6 packs. They're all 4 packs or bombers. The lone exception is Two Roads Road 2 Ruin DIPA, but technically it's not a DIPA at 7.2% ABV.

Ahh. I guess what I mean by bad is too much farmhouse funk. It's not that they aren't drinkable young. As a matter of fact most other people like my saisons young. I guess they like the funk more than I do. I prefer my saisons after the funk has mellowed a little. I've never actually used Brewers Gold. Is it old or just bad in general?

Bad fresh, worse nearing a year in the freezer. Was trying to use up some stuff before making this years order, but it might be time to say eff it and try and give hops away at my next club meeting and throw them away if no one wants them. The BG is just going in th trash though.

Buckethead IPA. Meh, little to no aroma, ok flavor. Was labeled on the menu as 'Buckhead IPA'. Thought it was something I haven't had before...

That's a crazy good deal I'm not familiar with that brand, a bit of research says it's discontinued, but you should be able to melt it down, I would add nutrient to it.

Back