What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Maybe it is the trimming that makes the difference. Cause I can tell you the Sox pitcher right now looks like he was hitting the meth pipe about ten minutes ago lol

Yeah, I wear a suit and tie to work (don't judge me). I don't think the Pedroia look would play.

CliffMongoloid said:
I just had a bomber of live at the dunmore deli, and it looks like yours is doing much better than mine! I had almost no carb and date was fine, yours almost looks over carbed! Victory Golden Monkey!

image-2598295212.jpg

Ridire said:
When I've had venison steak, it has been very gamey. I'm guessing you're right, though, probably sat on some asshat's hood for 72 hours while he drank himself silly in the woods.

I wound probably love hunting. I just don't care for cold weather. In the summer through the early fall, I'm all about camping, fishing and hiking. With three young kids, the wife has mandated the RV instead the old tent (and I'll admit I'm spoiled by it) but we "camp" a good 10 times a year.

Yeah, I love getting outdoors. Probably my favorite thing about hunting is all the time spent in the woods. And the meat is a bonus.
Also, I do drink myself silly, but that's after the day of hunting is over with. :D

Channel66 said:
I grow a beard every winter, I don't trim it, let that shiz go wild. Do it once and you'll never look back.

It is pretty cool to grow it out. I'm honestly thinking of using this weekend as the first few days of a few month's growth.

WesleyS said:
My wife never liked it, but I slowly converted her. Now she eats it up. I mostly grill it like a steak.
Her problem was she had some deer a long time ago and she said it tasted really gamey. So it most likely wasn't handled properly. We have a great setup where I hunt so I'm quartering the deer and putting it on ice within 15 minutes of it hitting the ground. After that it spends 5-7 days packed in ice in an ice chest and frequently drained before I do the final breakdown and packaging.

The processor we use prefers you to bring the deer/hog in gutted and rinsed. He hangs them in the walk-in for 7-10 days before he skins and processes them. We used to break down the deer ourselves, but for $50, it's well worth it to have a trained butcher do it.

image-1006240075.jpg

Drinking a Terrapin Oaked Hoppy Monster.

Yes that's right. Tenderloin is the one that only hangs there and stays tender. Backstrap is the loin that is on top of the ribs next to the spine.
Chicken fried is good, I will eat it like that from time to time, but I usually just use some of the hindquarter for that application. I breakdown my hindquarters in individual muscles and freeze them whole. That way I can decide how I'm going to prepare them when I thaw it out.

In TN hillbilly it's the opposite. Unless I understand people here less than I thought.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
I cant it just bothers me. I have a long goatee but thats as far as I go.

There is definitely a phase where it drives you nuts. But if you tough it out past that, it's not bad. My wife hates mine when I grow it, so I rarely get beyond about 60-90 days.

There is definitely a phase where it drives you nuts. But if you tough it out past that, it's not bad. My wife hates mine when I grow it, so I rarely get beyond about 60-90 days.

Mine hates it too, but it's like a big reveal when I finally do shave it. Plus when you shave it you can try out all the different beard styles and figure out what you like

I swear I'm going to bottle beer tonight. For cereal.

image-1547004910.jpg

Apparently my wife got her bottles, my bottles, and this:

image-1788832882.jpg

Life is tough.

TNGabe said:
In TN hillbilly it's the opposite. Unless I understand people here less than I thought.

You backwoods backwards inbred hillbillys!

By the way Gabe, do you ever write for BYO? I could swear this paragraph about peat malt was written by you. Mainly because I don't agree with it.

image-2110124615.jpg

allenH said:
The processor we use prefers you to bring the deer/hog in gutted and rinsed. He hangs them in the walk-in for 7-10 days before he skins and processes them. We used to break down the deer ourselves, but for $50, it's well worth it to have a trained butcher do it.

Drinking a Terrapin Oaked Hoppy Monster.

I am a professional butcher now. ;)
And I like being the only one who handles my meat...

Channel66 said:
Mine hates it too, but it's like a big reveal when I finally do shave it. Plus when you shave it you can try out all the different beard styles and figure out what you like

The longest I ever grew it was a few years ago. It was a good three months of hearing "when are you going to shave?" I heard it from my wife and from all of my kids (little ones ... oldest is now 9). One day I came home from work and decided I'd had enough of it. I shaved it off before dinner and came to the table with a Federation Standard shave. The only one who noticed was the baby (2-3 at the time ) and I hushed her. Nobody else noticed I shaved for three freaking days.

WesleyS said:
I am a professional butcher now. ;)
And I like being the only one who handles my meat...

I am an expert at handling my own meat, but I enjoy it more when someone else handles it...

TNGabe said:
I swear I'm going to bottle beer tonight. For cereal.

Apparently my wife got her bottles, my bottles, and this:

Life is tough.

One of these days I'll have to find out what this Oerbier is all about.

allenH said:
I am an expert at handling my own meat, but I enjoy it more when someone else handles it...

My wife handles it from time to time, but she's far from an expert.....at handling deer meat.

One of these days I'll have to find out what this Oerbier is all about.

It's really good. I doubt you'd like it. There is batch and bottle variance. This is an 09 or 10, he didn't date bottles for a while. Tastes like a chocolate covered pie cherry BDSA.

TNGabe said:
It's really good. I doubt you'd like it. There is batch and bottle variance. This is an 09 or 10, he didn't date bottles for a while. Tastes like a chocolate covered pie cherry BDSA.

That sounds pretty good. Even a smoked, pumpkin, and diabeetus beer drinker like myself might even appreciate that.

Bigfoot 2012. Not shure if this one I fridge aged for a year or what. My facehole got hit with Malty Darkcaramel malts and plenty 0' pine. Still picking the minty like pine from my teeth half hour after drinking it. Ok,more like 10-20 min. and time for another beer.Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat, not really a big fan of this for an oatmeal cream stout. I taste day old coffee with lactose with salt overtop of a good beer-but its name seems to makes more sense to me now. However give me an Oasis and im a happyass dude.

IPA thoughts. My HB IPA's have a harsh bitter after taste. I am just now moving away from my chlorinated tap water for brewing. Is my tap water causing this or is it something else I need to fix ? It's not overwhelming and the beer is decent but I want to smooth this out. Ideas?

EDIT: I know you don't know the recipe or hop schedule. I'm just looking for basic ideas. This is not a heavily hopped IPA. I am basically following the hop schedule from Dead Ringer.

IPA thoughts. My HB IPA's have a harsh bitter after taste. I am just now moving away from my chlorinated tap water for brewing. Is my tap water causing this or is it something else I need to fix ? It's not overwhelming and the beer is decent but I want to smooth this out. Ideas?

EDIT: I know you don't know the recipe or hop schedule. I'm just looking for basic ideas. This is not a heavily hopped IPA. I am basically following the hop schedule from Dead Ringer.
boil your tap water the day before you brew.

Billy-Klubb said:
boil your tap water the day before you brew.
I've startling building my water from RO , using Bru'nwater. Will getting the chlorine out resolve this?

EDIT: after 3 beers it is undetectable. I just moved back to my IPA from Two Hearted and can't tell the difference. But from beer #1 (mine ) to beer #2 (THA) there was a big difference in finish.

Remmy said:
Roll damn Tide

Alright alright who is your college team I think I have seen three different glass wear of different teams and now this roll tide stuff lol GEAUX TIGERS

Ps. We look like sheet tonight god and were playin ol' piss for crist sake

Billy-Klubb said:
it might. are you matching IBU's or just hop quantities? how hard is your tap water?
Quantities. I know nothing about my tap water other than that I could smell the chlorine today while bottling.

EDIT: sorry, didn't mean to turn this into the beginner forum.

I'm only 10% sure this turbo cider turned out this color/clarity (lack thereof) was because I pitched an entire packet of yeast to 1 gallon of spiced apple cider. Its about 5.3% abv. It's not terrible but I think the taste is "yeasty". Cold crashed for 24 hours and no real clearing but a nice yeast cake on the bottom.
Will try 1/2 a packet next time.

image-903586888.jpg

Back