What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Channel66 said:
Strawberry rhubarb saison. Mmm

Sounds good and of course, a great picture.

By the way, I appreciate the yeast(in advance).
I'm looking forward to trying it out.

TNGabe said:
I don't feel like searching so two questions.

1) How long do I need to soak oak in wine/spirits before adding to beer?

2) How many vanilla beans for a 5 gallon batch and how long?

Ugh...I hate oak and vanilla beer. It doesn't matter that you like it, I hate it and I'm right. And most of all, I'm better than you because I don't like oak and vanilla beer.

Sorry, I accidentally turned on my Wesley to Gabe translator. Why did I ever install that....
;)

It's pretty simple, I suggest picking up this book

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/150590...86607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

But to start using liquid yeast just a basic understanding and the ability to mix up a simple starter is all you need. I'd gladly help answer any questions you have. And if I'm not around all of these guys except gabe are very helpful :p
Great, I'll check that out. These forums are obviously invaluable.

I went to buy a carboy and has some beers at Raleigh Brewing. Went to dinner with friends and came home to find out my ******* cat pissed all over the kitchen floor. 12 years and this is a definite first. I'm pretty upset because he pissed right by my fermenting beer buckets which sit in large rubbermaid containers. 45 minutes later and a ton of mopping and dumping / refiling containers later ... :mad: Not how I wanted to come home after a nice meal and a nice beer buzz.

Gotta repitch yeast in my stout that has stalled at 1.030. The guy said just toss in a dry package of US-05 (what I used before). I hope he wasn't wrong.

On the water for now.

Drinking my Edinburgh Session.

image-3644784809.jpg

With dinner.

image-998236805.jpg

Venison chili

Ugh...I hate oak and vanilla beer. It doesn't matter that you like it, I hate it and I'm right. And most of all, I'm better than you because I don't like oak and vanilla beer.

Sorry, I accidentally turned on my Wesley to Gabe translator. Why did I ever install that....
;)

Just another one of your glaring flaws. I could drive a truck through the hole in your palate. It's cute that you aspire to be me, though. More people should.

I'd like to think our bickering is above emoticons.

Drinking my Edinburgh Session.

View attachment 154960

With dinner.

View attachment 154961

Venison chili

I've got to learn to hunt. Seems like a lot less work than raising pigs. I sure hope someone give my in-laws another tenderloin this year. My MIL 'doesn't know what to do with it' so she gives it to us. Venison tenderloin is on the very short list of best meats ever.

My Honey Bee Ale-16 mo old. 30% honey . Think I based it on Midwests honey bee ale recipe but maybe subbed some ingredients. Used 04 yeast and ended up at 1.001:eek: Dry light but 7% and slightly hot like finish,slight bready aroma with very slight honey/plastic noted,bland dry, light body with tart citrus character mainly, kinda tart finish Lemon citrus tart-Peppery finish slight plastic/rubber. Not really a great finish. Pretty neutral as far as using 04 yeast must have fermented low or something.

Hmm...

Was good at first with better honey character, but generally a good example of why not to use too much sugar in a beer batch, athough I could have made it maliter with a less attunative yeast maybe to make it better. Notes will be to mash high make it more malt driven to add body sweetness and use with less attenuative yeast. Nothing that will stop me from making a good braggot recipe someday which will maybe be barleywine like style next time.

I usually do about a week for the oak chips. 1 vanilla bean split & scraped will add noticeable flavor & aroma. 2 beans split & scraped can add a lot. 5-7 days is quite long enough for the beans. if you're adding the beans & oak to the same batch, just add them to the oak & spirits.

TNGabe said:
Just another one of your glaring flaws. I could drive a truck through the hole in your palate. It's cute that you aspire to be me, though. More people should.

I'd like to think our bickering is above emoticons.

I don't know why I still add an emoticon when replying to you. Because:
1) I'm never joking with you
2) I don't show emotions

;)......there I go again!!!

WesleyS said:
Yep. Finishing up last year's deer and making room for this year.

Awesome. I don't much care for it in its own (steak, etc.) but hunters sausage, chili and the like is great with venison.

I'm grew up in a small town in Michigan, where the schools close down on opening day. I've never been a hunter (despite being very outdoorsy) but have had my share of the spoils.

I don't know why I still add an emoticon when replying to you. Because:
1) I'm never joking with you
2) I don't show emotions

;)......there I go again!!!

Don't worry Weswey, your Nuzzle Wuzzle will be back to howd you in his big stwong awms and the beer your mommy bought you will be there tommowo.

Depends on the beer, the wood, and the spirits, I've heard 2 weeks on whiskey and upwards of 4 on wine, but if you're adding the whole shebang, I don't see why it would matter.

I made a cedar absinthe IPA awhile back. Soaked the cedar chips in absinthe for 2 weeks, strained them out and added them to 2nd with about a cup of fresh absinthe, came out pretty good

Vanilla would be a new one for me so your guess is as good as mine.

TNGabe said:
I've got to learn to hunt. Seems like a lot less work than raising pigs. I sure hope someone give my in-laws another tenderloin this year. My MIL 'doesn't know what to do with it' so she gives it to us. Venison tenderloin is on the very short list of best meats ever.

I agree. Venison tenderloin and backstrap are definitely some of the best meats ever. What surprises me is how many people just cut it in thin slices and fry it or take their whole deer to the processor and have nothing but sausage made. What a waste of good meat.

TNGabe said:
Don't worry Weswey, your Nuzzle Wuzzle will be back to howd you in his big stwong awms and the beer your mommy bought you will be there tommowo.

You pwomise? Sing me a lullaby.

I agree. Venison tenderloin and backstrap are definitely some of the best meats ever. What surprises me is how many people just cut it in thin slices and fry it or take their whole deer to the processor and have nothing but sausage made. What a waste of good meat.

Hmm, I think I mean backstrap by your vernacular. The little tiny piece inside the ribs that doesn't do anything. What a lot of people call tenderloin, the big piece that also make chop if you cut with part of the ribs, is actually loin.

Just sear it hot so it gets a nice crust and is barely warm is great. I will admit, I like to cut about inch thick medallions and chicken fry them, but still very rare. Some shiitake gravy on top. I've got the drools!

You pwomise? Sing me a lullaby.

I think you mean wuwwaby. Hahaha.

Have I mentioned how great my wife is? She's headed to get two bottles of Lindley Park right now and making sure the bottle shop knows those are her bottles and not the ones they are holding for me since it's a 2 bottle limit. My LHBS is also great. Got 7 Madagascar vanilla beans today for under $7. Much better day than yesterday.

Ridire said:
Awesome. I don't much care for it in its own (steak, etc.) but hunters sausage, chili and the like is great with venison.

I'm grew up in a small town in Michigan, where the schools close down on opening day. I've never been a hunter (despite being very outdoorsy) but have had my share of the spoils.

My wife never liked it, but I slowly converted her. Now she eats it up. I mostly grill it like a steak.
Her problem was she had some deer a long time ago and she said it tasted really gamey. So it most likely wasn't handled properly. We have a great setup where I hunt so I'm quartering the deer and putting it on ice within 15 minutes of it hitting the ground. After that it spends 5-7 days packed in ice in an ice chest and frequently drained before I do the final breakdown and packaging.

My wife never liked it, but I slowly converted her. Now she eats it up. I mostly grill it like a steak.
Her problem was she had some deer a long time ago and she said it tasted really gamey. So it most likely wasn't handled properly. We have a great setup where I hunt so I'm quartering the deer and putting it on ice within 15 minutes of it hitting the ground. After that it spends 5-7 days packed in ice in an ice chest and frequently drained before I do the final breakdown and packaging.

it also depends on what the game is eating. north east WY antelope taste like sage brush. guess what they have to eat in NE WY...

TNGabe said:
Hmm, I think I mean backstrap by your vernacular. The little tiny piece inside the ribs that doesn't do anything. What a lot of people call tenderloin, the big piece that also make chop if you cut with part of the ribs, is actually loin.

Just sear it hot so it gets a nice crust and is barely warm is great. I will admit, I like to cut about inch thick medallions and chicken fry them, but still very rare. Some shiitake gravy on top. I've got the drools!

Yes that's right. Tenderloin is the one that only hangs there and stays tender. Backstrap is the loin that is on top of the ribs next to the spine.
Chicken fried is good, I will eat it like that from time to time, but I usually just use some of the hindquarter for that application. I breakdown my hindquarters in individual muscles and freeze them whole. That way I can decide how I'm going to prepare them when I thaw it out.

Billy-Klubb said:
it also depends on what the game is eating. north east WY antelope taste like sage brush. guess what they have to eat in NE WY...

Chocolate cake?

When I've had venison steak, it has been very gamey. I'm guessing you're right, though, probably sat on some asshat's hood for 72 hours while he drank himself silly in the woods.

I wound probably love hunting. I just don't care for cold weather. In the summer through the early fall, I'm all about camping, fishing and hiking. With three young kids, the wife has mandated the RV instead the old tent (and I'll admit I'm spoiled by it) but we "camp" a good 10 times a year.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Ah yes, the homeless loser look the Red Sox have, trendy. Having Sweetwater IPA, good and hoppy but pretty middle of the road basics.

Haha...I'm half joking. I usually do grow a beard about this time of year (but I keep mine trimmed). I'm just impressed by how much growth those guys have, having grown mine in the past.

Go Tigers.

Haha...I'm half joking. I usually do grow a beard about this time of year (but I keep mine trimmed). I'm just impressed by how much growth those guys have, having grown mine in the past.

Go Tigers.

Maybe it is the trimming that makes the difference. Cause I can tell you the Sox pitcher right now looks like he was hitting the meth pipe about ten minutes ago lol

I soaked one vanilla bean cut and scraped in sailor jerry for an imperial porter. It soaked in the rum for 4 days and then the bean and a splash of rum was added to secondary this last wednesday. I will pull a small sample tomorrow and report my results. Hopefully it's got enough vanilla by then as it needs to keg and carb to be ready for an event next Saturday.

Back