What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing. stuck at the security desk for 9 hours at work. god, the things i would do for a cup of coffee right now...

....mostly weird stuff

Breck already got snow! :mug: I hope its gonna be a huge year for the powder, cant wait to back up there :ban:

Dude, I saw a picture of A-basin yesterday. Couldn't believe it!!!!!!!

Dude, I saw a picture of A-basin yesterday. Couldn't believe it!!!!!!!

HOLY SCHIT!!!! It looks like winter there already! :D I torture myself and keep my board out in plain site. I like seeing it but then im bummed I cant board yet. Only a couple more months!

DCHokie's Berliner.

image-4289121936.jpg

Great example. Bready, tart, and very well balanced. Other than a little gushing (which could be from me letting it warm up too much before opening or not having chilled it that long to begin with) an excellent beer. Fantastic job Ryan!

Nukebrewers Rye Aye captain. A fitting name for our naval friend. Poured a great amber with a nice off white head. Nicely carbonated with a nice medium body. The aroma started out hoppy with spicy notes but as it warms some slight alcoholic aroma and the malt become to come through on the nose.

This has some nice malt sweetness to compliment the earthy peppery flavor from the hops and or rye. This reminds me of a maltier version of your legacy of vienna with a nice dryness added from the rye on the finish. I draw the comparison mostly from the pleasant bitter after taste the beer leaves you with between draughts.

I know i sound like a broken record but, another fine job nuke.

Cheers.

Nukebrewers Rye Aye captain. A fitting name for our naval friend. Poured a great amber with a nice off white head. Nicely carbonated with a nice medium body. The aroma started out hoppy with spicy notes but as it warms some slight alcoholic aroma and the malt become to come through on the nose.

This has some nice malt sweetness to compliment the earthy peppery flavor from the hops and or rye. This reminds me of a maltier version of your legacy of vienna with a nice dryness added from the rye on the finish. I draw the comparison mostly from the pleasant bitter after taste the beer leaves you with between draughts.

Cheers.

Thanks, Dave. Glad you enjoyed it and very nice to get the feedback. Can you believe it's only 5% rye? I didn't think the rye would carry through that well, but it did. Subtle but noticeable.

nukebrewer said:
Thanks, Dave. Glad you enjoyed it and very nice to get the feedback. Can you believe it's only 5% rye? I didn't think the rye would carry through that well, but it did. Subtle but noticeable.

Really? I thought that rye made up more of the grist than just 5%. What combination of hops did you use in this brew? Does me comparing it to your SMaSH make sense at all?

I don't really pickup on the orange peel but it's a good beer. Reminds me a lot of Victory's "Hop Devil".

IMG_2228.jpg

Cheers.
Nuke, do you have a link for the recipe, i did a quick search and didn't come up with it and sounds like something i would enjoy. Cheers

2010 farmhouse. First pour of a 750 that I thought was going to take my head off when I popped the cork.

Dont grab the cork between your thighs next time. :D

Some dunkel while I bottle my pomegranate saison.

Head on over here when you get done. I need to bottle tonight and I don't see it happening.

Really? I thought that rye made up more of the grist than just 5%. What combination of hops did you use in this brew? Does me comparing it to your SMaSH make sense at all?

It had Galena for bittering, Amarillo for late boil additions, Amarillo and Zythos for aroma steep and Cascade and Citra for dry hops. I kind of see where you're coming from on the SMaSH comparison, they do have a couple similar qualities.

nukebrewer said:
It had Galena for bittering, Amarillo for late boil additions, Amarillo and Zythos for aroma steep and Cascade and Citra for dry hops. I kind of see where you're coming from on the SMaSH comparison, they do have a couple similar qualities.

Ive only used cascade and citra before in any of my brews not using any of the other varieties in your bill. I didnt pick up any of the citrusy grapefruit notes that citra and cascade are known for. Must be my crappy noobtastic unsophisticated palate haha.

Onto your pecan pie ale!

I don't really pickup on the orange peel but it's a good beer. Reminds me a lot of Victory's "Hop Devil".

Hmm.. very last (warm) sip was really orangy. Odd... I guess it just melds well with the hops when it's crisp and cold.

Ive only used cascade and citra before in any of my brews not using any of the other varieties in your bill. I didnt pick up any of the citrusy grapefruit notes that citra and cascade are known for. Must be my crappy noobtastic unsophisticated palate haha.

Onto your pecan pie ale!

Nah, it's not your palate. I think there was just a lot going on and it wasn't super dry so it didn't really accentuate any one hop's character over another. I also tried a new yeast on that one, Mangrove Jack's Workhorse yeast, so that may have something to do with it.

My very first ever can of Surly Wet! Really great IPA here full of fresh American hop character. It's in the nose, it's in the flavor with an assertive, somewhat harsh bitterness but that's OK. I think a lot of IPA these days try for too smooth a bitterness in an attempt to cater to a larger market. There needs to be some kind of edge to it to put some hair on your chest, as my dad would say. Overall I am very pleased with my first Wet experience. Thanks again, Justin.

20130923_183500.jpg

The left-overs of my pomegranate saison after bottling, corking and caging. Definitely tames the funkiness from the regular saison - and gives a subtle tartness on the finish. I can wait to try it in three weeks when it is carbed!

View attachment 149974

Fancy! Mark, we need to work out a trade. That looks incredible!

On the water... Still recovering from Saturday night's bottle share. Way too much good beer to list or remember.

Sharing a bottle of prairie while some chicken leg quarters roast and the mashed potatoes are just beginning to boil. First day off in about 3 weeks is filling out real nicely about now; just too bad tonight's game is gonna be rough to watch.

I've been doing it wrong all these years

Yeah, but I bet you can give Suzanne Somers a run for her money! Got two boxes out today, I can get yours and fuzzywubbers out next week. PM me your contact info when you have a minute.

Back