What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today was another terrible day at work. All our testing yesterday was undone when we realized that the metal we were testing in the furnace was not what we thought it was. It melted into a nasty mess and damaged about $25,000 of graphite heating elements.

Before:
View attachment 141850

Aaaand after:
View attachment 141851

And another
View attachment 141852

They started out as brake drums off a big rig. All 3000 pounds are now an absolute mess.

So lets hope this doesn't delay our shipping date cuz if it does, the government will probably void the contract essentially shutting our company down for good leaving me on the unemployment line. I'm not real happy tonight. So it looks like I'm back on the Yuengling. Nothing to celebrate here.

im sorry to hear that man, sorry about liking your post too i did that after i saw the melted rims. Hopefully you guys can haul ass and get that job done!

finsfan said:
im sorry to hear that man, sorry about liking your post too i did that after i saw the melted rims. Hopefully you guys can haul ass and get that job done!

Haha! It's all good! In a sick sort of way, I was actually pretty impressed with the ability of that furnace to melt the sh!te out of those drums! It was at 2100F when we shut it down. It could've gone up to 2500F before our over temp controller would've shut it down. Draws a total if 1560 Amps at full load! It's a gas hog!

Decided on another Yuengling. Starting to feel tired and wouldn't enjoy the Dragon's milk if I opened it now. Gotta bottle my vanilla porter and cider soon. Maybe this weekend.

Haha! It's all good! In a sick sort of way, I was actually pretty impressed with the ability of that furnace to melt the sh!te out of those drums! It was at 2100F when we shut it down. It could've gone up to 2500F before our over temp controller would've shut it down. Draws a total if 1560 Amps at full load! It's a gas hog!

Decided on another Yuengling. Starting to feel tired and wouldn't enjoy the Dragon's milk if I opened it now. Gotta bottle my vanilla porter and cider soon. Maybe this weekend.

holy **** that thing get hot! i just got done bottling up some blue white and RED ale that i brewed on the 4th :D

How do you like the Mosaic? Was that the entire hop bill?

yes it was and I enjoy the floccin' hell out of it! with my grain bill it produced slight pine with a lot of musky tropical fruit. Mosaic & Nelson are 2 of my favorites right now, but as a home brewer that can change quickly. still a big fan of Citra & Simcoe for my APAs & IPAs as well. aggressive might be in my nature.:rockin:

Picture 066.jpg

New Belgium Pumpkick. Here come the pumpkins... Not bad for what it is: a 6% pumpkin ale with a twist of cran/lemongrass. Has some floral/zesty/citrus tangy almost hoppy kind of finish. Not my kind of pumpkin but decent/good, mild with spice and rounded showing everything brewed in it. Almost reminds me of Smuttys pumpkin- which is a bit hoppier for a pumpkin but I liked it last year and like it alot more than this.. Glad I only have one pumpkick though,would drink it again. Now on to a small sample of a new mead.

cody6173 said:
I love beer trades

There's a thread for that. Paging FINAFAN.

Speaking of which, I got that same beer in a trade today!

tyzippers said:

Take a chill pill, Ty. Chill! Brbrbrbrbrbrrr

Billy-Klubb said:
yes it was and I enjoy the floccin' hell out of it! with my grain bill it produced slight pine with a lot of musky tropical fruit. Mosaic & Nelson are 2 of my favorites right now, but as a home brewer that can change quickly. still a big fan of Citra & Simcoe for my APAs & IPAs as well. aggressive might be in my nature.:rockin:

That's cool. I had a mosaic single hop from Voodoo and I got no tropical notes at all. It was all piney flavors. Maybe some tropical nose, but that was it. I still dug the hell out of it, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it that often in my brews.

Btw, that pic reminds me of one of the Tremor brothers from Smokin Aces, which I thought was an awesome freakin movie!

Billy-Klubb said:
beer trades are wicked awesome. I have some awesome stouts, Resin, and 3 Beans to attest to that. not only that, but some great home brews from colleagues across the country:rockin:.

Awesome, indeed. But costly. I've done about 8-10 so far and have a few more to ship next week.

I've shipped a **** load of NEBCO (Gandhi Bot and 668) as well as Sixpoints to several peeps.

Gotta stop!

Crazy Creamy Goodness 12% ABV Tripple IPA from Renegade, almost nitro, these crazy bubbles and never-ending head. Get SUM!

elevartion.jpg

Was doing some mixing and as I was checking the web out for a second I saw this thread and thought I would break open the beers the rep from Elysian dropped off the other day.

Loser
The Immortal
Night Owl

20130814_190255.jpg

Awesome, indeed. But costly. I've done about 8-10 so far and have a few more to ship next week.

I've shipped a **** load of NEBCO (Gandhi Bot and 668) as well as Sixpoints to several peeps.

Gotta stop!

It feels like I am sending GB out at least every other trade. The non-CT folk can't seem to get enough of it.

punk as ****

That's cool. I had a mosaic single hop from Voodoo and I got no tropical notes at all. It was all piney flavors. Maybe some tropical nose, but that was it. I still dug the hell out of it, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it that often in my brews.

Btw, that pic reminds me of one of the Tremor brothers from Smokin Aces, which I thought was an awesome freakin movie!

way I understand is Mosaic changes flavor & aroma profile with grain bill, yeast profile, and fermentation conditions.

and as for the pic, "we are 138"

Third shift. I got sick of Blue Moon, so I decided to have something different. I'm ready to get back home (still tons of stuff to do).

It feels like I am sending GB out at least every other trade. The non-CT folk can't seem to get enough of it.

Must be nice to live near a brewery with beer that everybody wants. Philly gets probably the best collection of craft beer on the East Coast moving through it, but nothing people can't get in other parts of the country. No local brewery is all that good other than Tired Hands which doesn't bottle. I need to move back to San Diego...

nukebrewer said:

I've sent Gandhi on every trade.

I will be sending a dozen out in one trade next week. Nothing but Gandhi going one-way. Insane.

Billy-Klubb said:
we need a hoppy spike in the vein.

I talked to a guy that brews Gandhi. Told me most of the hops are added in the last 10 minutes of the 90-minute boil as well as at flameout.

Wouldn't disclose the type, though. They had growler fills of Gandhi today and will have tomorrow, just in case anyone is thirsty. :D

Local brew night for me. (Most nights are)

FireWheel Texas Pale Ale
Community Witbier
FireWheel Balcones barrel aged Special #1 Better Brown Ale
Home brew kolsch

It was a good night!!

I just finished up a hoppy session ale dry hopped with Simcoe, Cascade, and orange zest. It also included 11% acid malt. I'm very pleased with how it came out, but am curious to swap out the pale malt for vienna to add body and double the acid malt to see if I can get any tartness. Went well with my pad thai.

tafelbier.jpg

Must be nice to live near a brewery with beer that everybody wants. Philly gets probably the best collection of craft beer on the East Coast moving through it, but nothing people can't get in other parts of the country. No local brewery is all that good other than Tired Hands which doesn't bottle. I need to move back to San Diego...

You've Troegs. I can't get that here, but there is a place that's about 3.5 hour round trip from me that has it. I don't ever get up there unless I'm visiting my in-laws and even then not every time. I imagine there's quite a bit of there stuff that doesn't even get, though.

I talked to a guy that brews Gandhi. Told me most of the hops are added in the last 10 minutes of the 90-minute boil as well as at flameout.

Wouldn't disclose the type, though. They had growler fills of Gandhi today and will have tomorrow, just in case anyone is thirsty. :D

I e-mailed the brewer and he told me what hops to use, but I was sworn to secrecy, so....

This one is pretty interesting. The aroma and first sip are awesome with a nice and dry body with a slight hint of the sour and funkiness but it doesn't linger at all. Definitely going to be grabbing another bottle to let it sit a little longer but this is still fantastic as is

ForumRunner_20130814_193931.png

nukebrewer said:
I e-mailed the brewer and he told me what hops to use, but I was sworn to secrecy, so....

I'm calling your bluff!

Gandhi Bot is one of the few mysterious hoppy beers to me...I've had almost every other IPA that everybody wants to try. I'm flying back home on Sunday to visit for 2 weeks, and I'll be hitting Alpine at least a couple times while I'm there. Maybe somebody on here wants to trade some NEBCO beers for some Alpine beers (if you've never had Alpine Nelson you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some).

Local brew night for me. (Most nights are)

FireWheel Texas Pale Ale
Community Witbier
FireWheel Balcones barrel aged Special #1 Better Brown Ale
Home brew kolsch

It was a good night!!

Need to head to Dallas for some beer one day. There are a few breweries I like to visit up there

Latest posts

Back