What are you drinking for Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried some of my [8.9%] old ale that was brewed in March... :rockin: Going to take one (or two) 500ml bottles over on xmas eve. Still plan to bottle a single 500ml of my 12.5%, one year old, wee heavy too. :D The old ale will be good to drink after dinner. The wee heavy probably too.

Krovitz said:
I was just at a bar with fellows that ordered Mad Elf on tap. They both thought it was gross and put half their beers back on the bar. I didn't know them well enough to say I'll finish those. Haha.

It seems every year that Troegs tweaks their Mad Elf and everyone ohhhhs, and auhhhhhhhs over it. I though in years past it was much better when it was more of micro or home brew style. It seems the recipe is getting too polished to the point of having an appeal to me of a commercial beer. Several years ago, I got a case of Mad Elf for Christmas, and kinda lost interest in it as the case dwindled, and had a few bottles behind the bar that got forgotten about. After two years, I chilled them and found them to be so much better and they were more like a barley wine. Also after Christmas I went t o a local wing bar and they were offering a Mad Elf, and. Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat mix which I really liked. Anyhow, enough rambling, just an observation and opinion.
Merry Christmas to all!

CHEERS!

It seems every year that Troegs tweaks their Mad Elf and everyone ohhhhs, and auhhhhhhhs over it. I though in years past it was much better when it was more of micro or home brew style. It seems the recipe is getting too polished to the point of having an appeal to me of a commercial beer. Several years ago, I got a case of Mad Elf for Christmas, and kinda lost interest in it as the case dwindled, and had a few bottles behind the bar that got forgotten about. After two years, I chilled them and found them to be so much better and they were more like a barley wine. Also after Christmas I went t o a local wing bar and they were offering a Mad Elf, and. Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat mix which I really liked. Anyhow, enough rambling, just an observation and opinion.
Merry Christmas to all!

CHEERS!

Interesting. I haven't tried this years Mad Elf yet, I assumed it was the same. Good to know. That mix also sounds really good. Im usually not interested in beer mixes. I gave my boss my Christmas Ale on Friday. Half way through he mixed it with miller lite and said now it's perfect. :(

I'm taking my first 5 gallon batch; Northern Brewer Saison de Noel for our family Christmas eve celebration.

I'm also drinking some right now watching the Steeler game. Very tasty!

I was a bit busy the last month and just got around to carbing my recent batch of Black Ale earlier this week and hit it with some extra PSI to carb it in time. Unfortunately it left a nasty carbonation bite that hasn't dissipated yet so I'm probably going to serve a Brown Porter in its place at our Christmas Eve party at my parents. Being such a good son, my Dad already has 2 of my other homebrews on tap -- including a Motueka Blonde which made me fall in love with that hop.

Sounds like this year is going to be a mix 'n' match.

I imported some beers to try from CO with some family members....

Pliny [for the 1st time]
Great Divide Hibernation
Deschutes Chasin' Freshies
O'dell 90 Schilling

Some homebrewed IPA's, Biermunchers Blonde, and Common Room ESB

...and hopefully dive into my FIL's stash of Crown Royal Cask 16

rathauswinterfes3t_zps12b533dd.jpg

Will be drinking MyPA, fairly pleasing for my first 'from scratch' recipe. Plus an assortment of bombers of tasty craft brews.

I'll be tapping into "Mipa" a Marris Otter IPA that is heavily hopped with Centennial, Magnum, Amarillo and Cascade, coming in at a nice 6.7%

I will be drinking 3 6 packs of unopened wrapped beer from the wifey along with 2 pick sixes I chose for myself but I can't remember what exactly they are.

Oh, and 2 bottles of Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island.

My:

Oatmeal stout
Pale blonde
IPA (Belgian influenced)
Punkin pie barleywine

A couple he brew options
A Figueroa Mountain 2nd anniversary Cru
A Firestone walker XVI
A Lagunitas Cappucino Stout
Some Celebration
A 2010 Old Guardian

We'll see if we bring anything home from the cabin.

I have some Lowenbrau ready for tasting and I might crack open a chocolate stout I have been keen to try :)

Some of this stuff sounds good. Wish I had something,but the HOA lawyers will be enjoying my money again this year. Got nuthin ready & broke. Not even a cig & boot in the ass.

Since I'm flying to Chicago in the morning and my cousin is nice enough to stop by Three Floyd's, Zombie Dust will be on my menu.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Dropped a bill on a 12 pack, and it's worth every penny. best xmas evar.

Will be having a Christmas Ale that is loaded full of spices -cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, alspice, cloves, ginger and vanilla bean later tonight. Then Pumpkin Ale followed up with Ed Worts Apfelwein that has been backsweeten to go with our Christmas Dinner. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!:)

Several of my Belgians that have been aging.

Just pulled a bomber of aTripel out of the fridge to warm up slightly. I will pour it in about 20 minutes. Next up will be a year old BDSA. Should be a very Merry Christmas..........

I have four bottles of Victory left (one of each in their sampler) plus a case of my dunkelweizen. I have it on good authority that there is a bottle of saison DuPont ant rodenbach under the tree.

Back