What are you brewing and eating for St. Paddy's Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
St. Paddy's day is less than 3 weeks away! If you keg this is barely just enough time to turn a beer around. I'm about to brew the 1880 Single Stout Porter from an old Brewing TV episode.

What is everyone else brewing for the occasion? One side of my family is from Ireland so this holiday has always been somewhat special to me.

And what about the food? I've done Irish coddle, bangers and mash, and shepherd's pie. What does everyone like to eat on St. Paddy's day?

I brew a stout around St Paddy's every year for the next year. It's kegged and ready to roll around with my jockey box at the parade.

I was debating adding some green to a Kolsch I have in a keg and handing them out at work. Not sure I want to do that to my beer though.

I have about a case of my Irish red ale for consumption. Since it's on a Friday I won't have to stop drinking for ten days (my vacation starts that evening!). I hope I don't miss my birthday in that time!

Also Irish Red, it's always a hit.
My wife will make corned beef and cabbage, boiled then roasted.
I'm assuming you meant dinner when you asked what I'm eating....

Unfortunately due to awful planning I don't have an irish red ready for this year.. but I will be drinking Great Lakes Conways Irish Ale and may try my hand at some corned beef in the crock pot even though I will be the only one eating it.

I'm bottling my Irish Red this Friday evening. I'll pop a few in the warmest room and hope they carb well enough to have one or two on the 14th!

Made an Irish red a couple weeks ago. It just went in kegs and is pretty much carbonated, it just needs a little more time to come together and smooth out, but it's already decent. My hopes of having my export stout around for Patty's day are quickly fading. I can't stay away from it long enough to save it.

Brewed an Irish red, a Wee Heavy and gonna try to do a toasted oatmeal Irish stout on Thursday. Big pot of Irish stew will be in order and prob some corned beef and cabbage. (we go all out) not a fan of dying beer green. Rather drink a specialty and enjoy everything a beer has to offer including color.

Stout already on tap and Irish Red will be kegged in a few days. Wife is making corned beef and cabbage and friends and family are coming over. Should be a great St. Patty's day!

John

I have an Aztec Mexican Cerveza in the fermenter right now. Still has over a week in the fermenter, and then will need to be carbonated, so that won't be ready for the 17th. However, my Czech should be done carbonating by this Sunday, so that is probably what I will end up drinking. I just recently got started, so I didn't plan ahead. However, I already have plans for what I'm doing for Octoberfest.

Hopefully will get an Irish Red brewed this weekend. The one I have now is going to kick before the 17th. So probably will be drinking Guinness.

I bet we'll get fish fry (takeout - being out and about on St. Pat's is not for me anymore.)

Hey - I just learned our favorite fish fry place started life as a speakeasy, complete with a brewery and distillery in the basement!

http://www.kegelsinn.com/welcome/

Is it possible an Irish stout will be drinkable on 17 days if brewed today

Do you keg? It would be a lot harder to bottle condition in that time, but can still be done. Simple recipe, low gravity, maybe even steep dark grains to reduce those bitter flavors. Ferment for 7 days, bottle, 10 to condition. If kegging I'd reverse those times

Have a stout using midnite wheat and chocolate malt in the keg tastes great but me thinks it needs another month of ageing

so it looks like I'm not going to be able to brew my 1880 single stout porter in time... Sort of bummed because I've been trying to brew this beer for the past 4 years but something always comes up.
However, I have a gallon of my Irish Imperial stout (Think RIS but made with Ireland stout malt, flaked barley, and irish ale yeast) in a secondary that I've been meaning to bourbon oak for months now but haven't gotten around to adding the wood/booze to. I was thinking about just kegging the gallon and brewing the beer again and doing a full batch version of bourbon oak goodness.
Maybe I'll get to the 1880 beer next year when my kids are a year older! At least I have the Irish imperial stout I can keg.

I have 7 kegs ready to destory livers so not brewing anything new.

Corn beef & cabbage is a tradition followed by sandwiches.

I'll give it a shot. Here's what I always do: get a corned beef brisket flat - not a point; points are a PITA - then simmer it in the crockpot on low overnight in a little water. (You can even do this a day or two ahead of time.)

Next morning, pull the fat cap off, let the beef cool a little bit then toss it in the fridge in a 9x13 pan with as much of the juice as you can fit in there. I do that because it's much easier to slice cold than when it's warm. Once it's cold, Slice it thin across the grain - across the grain is really important.

Put it back in the 9x13, cover with foil and warm it up in a 250° oven.

ETA: I've watched the guys at the Jewish deli slice hot brisket super thin, but I could never do it right, so I go with the chill then slice method.

Do you keg? It would be a lot harder to bottle condition in that time, but can still be done. Simple recipe, low gravity, maybe even steep dark grains to reduce those bitter flavors. Ferment for 7 days, bottle, 10 to condition. If kegging I'd reverse those times

Yeah I keg. I figure a low abv Irish stout with less roasted grains to keep it from getting to toasty bitter. And using an oatmeal to mellow it out.

I made a foreign extra stout from Brewing Classic Styles and an Irish Red India Ale - an Irish red grain bill with a hop schedule similar to Nugget Nectar clone recipes.

We have an Irish red on tap already. I bought a 12 pound packet brisket, and 5 pounds of corned beef is curing right now.

I have a batch of what I call "cream stout" (has rolled oats and lactose) bottle conditioning now and will be ready by the 17th. The last batch I made was without the oats and was great, so hopefully this one will be even better.

I have a batch of what I call "cream stout" (has rolled oats and lactose) bottle conditioning now and will be ready by the 17th. The last batch I made was without the oats and was great, so hopefully this one will be even better.

I made something very similar back in January. I'll rack some over to a smaller keg and serve on nitro. :mug:

Same here - I made that sweet oatmeal stout that was in Zymurgy a few months back. I let stouts sit for a while (this one's been sitting for a few months) and it's perfect now. I'll probably pull a pint or two of that on St. Pat's.

I'll give it a shot. Here's what I always do: get a corned beef brisket flat - not a point; points are a PITA - then simmer it in the crockpot on low overnight in a little water. (You can even do this a day or two ahead of time.)

Next morning, pull the fat cap off, let the beef cool a little bit then toss it in the fridge in a 9x13 pan with as much of the juice as you can fit in there. I do that because it's much easier to slice cold than when it's warm. Once it's cold, Slice it thin across the grain - across the grain is really important.

Put it back in the 9x13, cover with foil and warm it up in a 250° oven.

ETA: I've watched the guys at the Jewish deli slice hot brisket super thin, but I could never do it right, so I go with the chill then slice method.
\

Thanks!

The recipes I've seen call for just adding carrots, potatoes, onion and the brisket to crockpot with a 12 oz stout and letting it go for 8-10 hours. Any harm in just doing this? I'm not too concerned with leaving with carrots and potatoes go all day. Although, I may just cook the brisket all day and add them to the crockpot an hour or two before serving.

\

Thanks!

The recipes I've seen call for just adding carrots, potatoes, onion and the brisket to crockpot with a 12 oz stout and letting it go for 8-10 hours. Any harm in just doing this? I'm not too concerned with leaving with carrots and potatoes go all day. Although, I may just cook the brisket all day and add them to the crockpot an hour or two before serving.

You can do that. Make sure it's on low. I would add the carrots and potatoes near the end. We have to roast them separately anyway because we have a non-meat eater.

Add pickling spice to the crock pot. Or bay leaf and thyme.

I have a Stout on tap for just such an occasion. Roast lamb and potatoes will accompany the Stout.

I HAD a stout on tap, but unfortunately it didn't make it to St. Pats day. Kicked the keg about 2 weeks too early. Having a feeling that might happen, I brewed an Irish red a couple weeks and it's pretty good. Used a slightly modified version of the biermunchers oktoberfast ale recipe with Irish ale yeast and a couple oz of roast malt. It makes for a pretty solid red ale. Probably supplement that with some Irish coffees (coffee, Jamesons, and bailey's).

Never been a fan of corned beef & cabbage, so I'll be passing on that and opting for a potato soup and maybe chicken boxty.

I brewed an Irish red that is bottled and primed, and using that yeast cake I brewed a dry Irish stout which will be 3weeks bottle primed on 3/17- so ready! I give it a shot of wine preserving gas (nitro) and it gets a nice fine creamy head pretty much like a Guinness drought. For food I'm going to a local bar for free corned beef and cabbage. I bought a nice piece of flat cut, but I'll be cooking it another day. :D have a fun and safe day.

I brewed an Irish red that is bottled and primed, and using that yeast cake I brewed a dry Irish stout which will be 3weeks bottle primed on 3/17- so ready! I give it a shot of wine preserving gas (nitro) and it gets a nice fine creamy head pretty much like a Guinness drought. For food I'm going to a local bar for free corned beef and cabbage. I bought a nice piece of flat cut, but I'll be cooking it another day. :D have a fun and safe day.

How did you give it nitro?

Latest posts

Back