What and How to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
Budget is going to keep me from brewing for a little while after this next batch, so the decision is big.

Nut Brown or Breakfast Stout? I feel I can be drinking either of these in ~5 weeks.

Also, I try to elevate my skill each time I brew, but I don't know that I can this time, again due to budget. I want to eventually do 3 vessel all grain. Currently I have a nice BK, and the SS 4 gallon I started with that I figure I can use as HLT. It has no valve or thermometer though like the new one. For MT, I plan to use a cooler. How well does a rectangular with wheels work? I have one of those that is rarely used.

I may just stick to my extract methods for now. I'd love to hear everyones opinions though. :mug:

The biggest cost for me to start all grain was the cooler and a larger brew kettle (6 to 9 gallons). If you have those already you're most of the way there. I've found that buying grain is much cheaper than extract. It's more work, but I have more fun and like my beer more as all grain.

What was the last beer you brewed? I would go with the stout.

If budget is an issue, and you want to go all grain, look in to BIAB. You don't need any extra equipment. And grain is cheaper than DME/LME.

Recycle your yeast to save a bit more.

As for the beer, I'd do the Breakfast Stout.

^^^ +Schfifty five to the BIAB option. Northern Brewer is a great place to learn. :mug:

And I vote Breakfast Stout. :)

If budget is an issue, and you want to go all grain, look in to BIAB. You don't need any extra equipment. And grain is cheaper than DME/LME.

Recycle your yeast to save a bit more.

As for the beer, I'd do the Breakfast Stout.

+1 I started BIAB a few months ago and buy my base malt in bulk and can brew a batch for under $20 and less if i used washed yeast. I just brewed a Oatmeal stout so I say yes to the Breakfast stout. Get paint strainer bags fom the Depot 2 for $4 and you are brewing AG it's that simple.

Last thing I brewed was an octoberfest. It's lagering now. I also have about a case of pale ale. Half of that is jalapeno pale.

I've looked at BIAB a little, and think I can do it. My only concern is my pot is 9 gallons. Is that big enough? Especially for a breakfast stout?

The cooler I have is what I am really wondering about. Because of the wheels on it, it has a step in the bottom several inches tall. Will that create a problem?

Tell the SWMBO TO LAY OFF THE SHOPING! And then take her bugget and build a system. Then buy something nice from Victoria Secrect cause let's be honest you should get something out of your gift. Send her a card that explains how much you love the fact she is cool with you having a hobby that allows you to stay home and hang with her.

Oh and do a Breakfest stout and add some Hazelnut coffee to it at flame out, or do a cold steep. Oh and send me one

she actually got me into the hobby by getting me a coopers starter kit for my first fathers day. she now says she didn't realize what she was getting me into. I plan to add coffee at flame out but not hazelnut. I may use some of Krispy Kreme's dark roast cuz I can get it for free. I was also thinking of getting one of the fancy flavors from harris teeter though. mocha something. would that take care of chocolate and coffee flavors, or should I still add some form of chocolate?

Back