What additive are Southern Tier, New Belgium, and Elysian using in their Pumpkin beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted, but haven't stopped brewing! So hello all, hope you're all well and healthy :rock:OK so it's quite obvious IMO that they're all using the same additive in their beers as I taste the *exact same* sweet candy like pumpkin spice flavor in their beers. It's kind of a pumpkin/pumpkin spice/graham cracker flavor in Southern Tier's Pumpking/Warlock, Elysian's NightOwl, and Voodoo Ranger's atomic pumpkin.

Now, I've tried crap like LD Carson's Graham Cracker flavoring and it was nasty. Luckily didn't add it into my 5G of Pumpkin Ale, just did a drop or so into pints and it sucked. I've been brewing pumpkin ales for maaany years now, and they're great but I do love this little candy like thing these companies got going on and haven't been able to reproduce it. Does anyone know what it is they are using to get this flavor that is the same across all the mentioned brands? I'm thinking it must be something they are buying as an additive. I started with powered spices but have used fresh whole spices ground myself for years and it still doesn't come out the same. Best I can think is that graham cracker taste is what it is.

Rev.

Back