What’s wrong with her?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drink the vast majority of my labors because I have loved beer all of my life...ever since I was four years old, Dad said 'please get me a beer', and I got to taste it. Was love at first sip.

That's exactly how my wife started with beer, now I can't make beer fast enough to keep the kegerator full

So I am in the sad sad position in which my wife, brace yourself, does NOT like beer. Like at all. She drinks flavored sparking water and said she doesn’t like it because she says it tastes like beer (WTF beer did you drink back in the day?!). Can’t share my wonderful creations with her, can’t share my craft brewery gem finds with her. Can’t say “I know it’s a white stout but it totally hits your palette like a stouts doesn’t it?!” to her. How is a man to exist in such a fractured twisted reality?! Do you feel me (or are you one of those jerks whose wives just love their beer and can’t wait to taste the next slurry out of the fermentor)?!

Considering you're talking about my sister, I agree, she barely drinks! But nothing wrong with that, because you have a brother-in-law that also LOVES to brew and drink beer. So um...come on by with any tasters and I'd be happy to give you my opinion and 2 cents (like we already do). But it usually takes me 2 beers at minimum for a tasting. Just come prepared ;)

But seriously, my wife doesn't love beer either. However I do have her taste test every beer I make. Even if it's IPA. She's growing closer and closer to liking IPAs. I was surprised when she said my latest Porter is the best beer to date! Dark beers!?!? WHHHAAAATTTT? She makes me so proud. But hopefully you can have my sis grow fond of beers by "tasting" them each batch. More excuses to brew more often so she has more tastings ;)

Enjoy! Can't wait to try your brown you have fermenting!
LJ

Are female homebrewers really this rare?! They can't be; I know plenty of female pro brewers. I knew this was kind of a boys club but this thread is crazy. *I* got my husband into homebrewing a few years ago and now we both brew together as well as on our own stuff. I took him on our first epic-line beer release adventures. He just recently got level 1 cicerone certified, and works at a brewery and a bottle shop. Most of our leisure/vacation time is spent searching out new breweries and festivals. No point to this except to say that beer loving women absolutely exist.

We ate late last night (too late for my sensitive stomach) and I had a beer from the kegerator for dessert. Not long after, we headed for bed and my wife said, "Oh your breath! You smell like beer!" I said that the beer was good. She said, "Well stop breathing."

When we first met, my wife didn't like beer. She only drank whisk(e)y and 7up once in awhile. At first, she just sort of put up with (I guess) my hobby. But as I started to get better at brewing, she started enjoying the beers and discussion around the beers styles etc...or maybe she's just humoring me. Either way, I've been brewing for more than 20 years now, and we have fun going to different breweries and tasting new beers and discussing. She doesn't drink much, but I think it's a nice part of our relationship that gives us a commonality to enjoy. I can feel for the OP and know that it would be a void, if my wife didn't like beer. But at the same time, you can't really force a person to like something that they don't like. I would advise to make some wine or cider that she may enjoy. The fastest way to create hard feelings, is to try to force someone into something they don't want to do. /cheers and I wish you good luck.

Stop Breathing.
Okaaay.

My wife hates the smell of beer, the smell of the hops boiling, the smell of the grain soaking.

I only make beer on weekends she works, and in the garage.

C'est la vie.

I'm lucky, though my wife is a little picky about beers, we have similar tastes so I can brew the stuff we both like.

Have you ever been to Great Britain? My wife and I went there and I was introduced to still beers and still ciders (uncarbonated). From your description maybe your wife just doesn't like the head (some don't, but that might be a different discussion), or the fizziness. Try a still beer or cider and see if she likes that. Or it could be the bitterness? Maybe try something a bit more sweet.

I'm a lucky one. My wife loves beer and almost all styles. She gives me good feedback and it allows me to commit more money and time to brewing than if she didn't enjoy it as well. If only I could get her to help me brew!

Back