What’s everyone brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreese1986

Reaction score
New to brewing, first batch is 6 days in primary now. I am itching to brew again. Curious what IPA, APA, or stout kits everyone recommends right now.

Welcome.

I haven't used kits in a while, but I Williams Brewing sells a liquid malt extract in 3.3, 6, and 8 pound packages that's designed to make an English Stout. I just brewed it and am drinking it now, and I like it a lot. I brewed it with OG of 1.055 and 27 IBUs - seems about right. You could try that. Pretty simple, with no extra steeping grains.

I should warn you about the Williams Brewing hops. Their normal hops aren't vacuum sealed or nitrogen purged. I've had some problems with brews where I used aroma hops. It seemed like the aroma oils were oxidized and gave a nasty smell. Bittering hops seem ok so far. So I've started getting hops elsewhere. It probably wouldn't be a problem with a stout.

Just finished off the beers from my first kit. Pale Ale with Chinook hops. Brewing a double IPA kit tomorrow with a buddy. Not sure about the kit tho, says to add priming sugar to boil. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out. (It came with drops for bottling)

I have a couple Beer. Simply Beer kits from Midwest supplies. Only 19.99 per kit. I have their APA in bottles and I’m planning on tasting one tomorrow (1 week of carbonation) just to see how things are progressing.

Yep, me too.....have been brewing Beer Simply Beer kits ($19.99) for the last 6 months. I rotate with their Brown Ale & Stout kits. Great beers at a great price.

So I brewed my 3rd batch today, first time using RO water. A few other novice brewers I know are making Irish Reds and they asked if I wanted to bring my own to their St. Patrick's Day beer swap. Since my first two batches ended up with some sorta twang (either from the tap water, or the LME) I decided to go pretty simple for this brew. The use of the whirlfloc tablet and RO water really cleaned this brew up and it was the first time my wort actually tasted of quality.

2.5 Gal batch
3.7 Gal used total
1.048 OG
23.1 IBU

3oz Crystal 40L
3oz Crystal 120L
2oz Roasted Barley 300L
3Lb Extra Light Plain Extract
0.5oz Ekg 6.6% 60 min
0.5oz UK Fuggle 5% 30min
0.6 Whirlfloc tablet 10mins (was difficult to break in half lol)
English Salfale dry yeast.

It's just now in the fermenter, but I'm pretty excitied by the way the wort turned out. Roasted notes and Carmel toffee and everything! Is this a good sign of things to come? Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the recipe? It does appear to be light in flavor, but should ring in at 4.5%

So I brewed my 3rd batch today, first time using RO water. A few other novice brewers I know are making Irish Reds and they asked if I wanted to bring my own to their St. Patrick's Day beer swap. Since my first two batches ended up with some sorta twang (either from the tap water, or the LME) I decided to go pretty simple for this brew. The use of the whirlfloc tablet and RO water really cleaned this brew up and it was the first time my wort actually tasted of quality.

2.5 Gal batch
3.7 Gal used total
1.048 OG
23.1 IBU

3oz Crystal 40L
3oz Crystal 120L
2oz Roasted Barley 300L
3Lb Extra Light Plain Extract
0.5oz Ekg 6.6% 60 min
0.5oz UK Fuggle 5% 30min
0.6 Whirlfloc tablet 10mins (was difficult to break in half lol)
English Salfale dry yeast.

It's just now in the fermenter, but I'm pretty excitied by the way the wort turned out. Roasted notes and Carmel toffee and everything! Is this a good sign of things to come? Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the recipe? It does appear to be light in flavor, but should ring in at 4.5%
IMG_20180204_164246_235.jpg
20180204_162037.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the recipe? It does appear to be light in flavor, but should ring in at 4.5%

You could get more flavor by going to a little higher OG - around 1.055 maybe. It would be over the BJCP guidelines, but if you like it that way, do it. I'd say increase the IBUs to keep the same BU:GU ratio.

With an extract beer, you can do this by just reducing the volume as needed.

That's a nice looking beer.

You could get more flavor by going to a little higher OG - around 1.055 maybe. It would be over the BJCP guidelines, but if you like it that way, do it. I'd say increase the IBUs to keep the same BU:GU ratio.

With an extract beer, you can do this by just reducing the volume as needed.

That's a nice looking beer.
Thanks! I'm curious to see how the final product turns out, but I'll definitely think about bring up the og. I toyed with the idea of roasting some pecans and using those in the steep, but wanted to play it safe with this particular batch.

Just finished off the beers from my first kit. Pale Ale with Chinook hops. Brewing a double IPA kit tomorrow with a buddy. Not sure about the kit tho, says to add priming sugar to boil. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out. (It came with drops for bottling)

Priming sugar is for priming, so their is clearly some misunderstanding in the instructions.

It'll be fine, but just plan on priming in the bottle (carb tabs, conditioning tabs, sugar cubs, sugar, etc). I assume you're bottling and not kegging?
Correct, it came with drops although my previous batch I went the standard dextrose priming route for bottles. I think I'll stick to that. It's a Heady Topper clone so I think it'll be pretty resilient.

Latest posts

Back