Weyermann Barke Pilsner vs other German pilsner malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to up my pilsner (and other german lagers) game, and am wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison of Weyermann's Barke pilsner to other german pilsner malts. I currently use Avangard's pils ($48/55lb sack) for all my german lagers, so I'm trying to determine what the difference is, and if the higher price is worth the switch.

Fwiw I brew the same lager recipe every other beer, and have used every type of base malt under the sun, and they're all pretty similar imo. I bet I could tell a difference in a side by side, but batch to batch I can't.

I switched to Avangard several years ago because I got sick of rocks from Weyermann malt jamming my mill. The Avangard made a very nice pils and I was quite happy with it. Due to supply issues during the pandemic and glowing reviews elsewhere, I gave Barke a shot last year and was pleasantly surprised. Recipes I knew well suddenly had a bit more depth of flavor to them with Barke. It definitely prompted a few "Oh, wows!" from me. I'm not really good at describing flavors, but it seems more rounded, more 3D, less linear in terms of the cracker being over here, the graininess being over there.

Let's put it this way, I've subsequently purchased three other bags of Barke and don't plan to go back to Avangard. Also, I haven't had any rocks jam my mill.

If it matters...
(And let's forgo the snobery and insanely overpriced notion of a beer from Napa)

This was a darn fine beer. I think Lagers can be so cool because the intricate flavors of the malt can show through.

I really hope that lagers can become the next 'craze' like hazy, milkshake, brut, etc. have been.

So... yeah- i say get it! Let us know the results please.

This edition of Hanabi Lager is brewed with a variety of barley called Barke, grown in eastern Germany. As a springtime barley, it was planted in April, and harvested in August or September. A classic German brewing variety, it brings strong aromatics and power, while at the same time an openness and sense of levity. With this grain, we brewed a Vienna-style Lager, a slightly more malt-forward style than Pilsner, to lean into this barley’s natural strengths. This approach produces a rich golden-colored lager beer with a light natural turbidity that we prefer to leave intact as a signature of this delicious grain, and a persistent cream-colored fine-grained head. Opening with highly aromatic sweet-straw, spearmint, baking spices, and warm cedar, overtones of fresh spring earth come up, bringing a sense of vitality and vibrancy. With a strong mid-palate and a powerful initial approach, the beer transitions into a very fresh, long finish.​
y8hVpqnImZUMEp8_1jmVy6cV9FvecBRjHx9mUCU0ROsNpJew6-T2WZqPmzo_-uySgxCIEDaQIHD3FmS2cPuHSSMRH8ivDn3GW_VRfkRY7rmxO2ReXKfEwnpLTbDzNjkUtdIgUzRrZXuYQBqmgQ=s0-d-e1-ft
We look forward to sharing our winemaker’s take on traditional lager brewing with you. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.​

Yeah, I've got a sack on order. One takeaway I got from that Showcase I referenced above (post #2) is that even if not going 'high end' with Barke for future batches, even just changing over to Best Malz from Avangard might improve my pilsners. I don't intend on doing any side-by-side comparisons, however, until I get my new electric system up and running later this year.

I really hope that lagers can become the next 'craze'
I think they have been for a little while now. Obviously not as strong a craze as hazys, but considering how well places like Bierstadt Lagerhaus are doing, I think it speaks to the general public's renewed interest in old-school lagers.

I think they have been for a little while now. Obviously not as strong a craze as hazys, but considering how well places like Bierstadt Lagerhaus are doing, I think it speaks to the general public's renewed interest in old-school lagers.
Where are you located?
I am in N California, land of west coast IPA that now are Hazy IPA.
IPL is kind of picking up a little steam, but it has not caught on yet.
I see more and more Mexican style lagers out here, but honestly not much on Lagers yet.
A few pilsners, or at least an ale take on a pilsner.
I think from a business stand point it just does not pencil.
I am hoping that the more serious (and good) brewers will focus on water, malt, process and cannot wait to see what will happen with lagers.
I love hops, too... but there are so many traditional hops that have not caught on yet.

Where are you located?
I'm in Wisconsin - the land of macro lagers. But at the same time, a ton of micros have made it their mission to proliferate the style. Italian pilsner is gaining traction and places like New Glarus always have some quality pilsner-like lager in routine production.

Two of the most well respected Lager breweries out west (and the US in general) both sing the praise of Barke and it’s their standard base pils for any German style. Wayfinder and Bierstadt are the two. I’ve heard both mention the depth of flavor but also the lower levels of DMS.

I believe you will also get a little higher extract from Barke as compared to standard Weyermann Pils and I also think the pH of Barke is a bit higher but can’t remember for sure. Personally I’d choose Weyerman over Avangard or Best any day. Intrigued by Ireks but it’s very hard to get.

I had been using Weyermann Pilsner throughout, then tried the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian (which is nice and a bit more characterful, but as the name suggests not terribly appropriate in a German Pilsner or Bavarian Helles), and now I bought my first bag of Best Malz Pilsner. Without tasting them side by side, I find it hard to tell how they differ, though.

From their Barke offerings, I have only tried the Munich, which seemed nice.

Yeah, any recipe I see a reputable brewery provide includes Barke pilsner, so I figured that's the gold standard. Thanks all!

Interestingly, Weyermann malts are not all that common in German breweries, based on what I've heard. But I admit that I do not have a particular source or reference for that.

Interestingly, Weyermann malts are not all that common in German breweries, based on what I've heard. But I admit that I do not have a particular source or reference for that.

Weyermann base malts are largely an export product in Germany. They can get higher prices abroad and much of their domestic sales are for specialty malts. You won't find many German brewers using Barke for traditional styles It's too dark for pils/helles. There is a brewers joke that goes something like "when your malt ends up dark, sell it to the Americans... for a premium."

And IREKS pils malt just plain makes beer that tastes like German Helles and Pils. Watch out for DMS though.

I have a sack of Barke. I’m not going to search out Avanguard. It is a flatline for flavor. I really like Best, always has been fantastic. Other Weyermann is great too. I look forward to trying the Barke. All I hear are great things.

Back