Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I got my little brother a Slim, my dad the Schick Dial... I have two gold finished techs for the random person grab bag like my buddies. I also have some Omega boar brushes, styptic pencils, Omega Shaving Cream tubes (rebranded Proraso but $3 less per tube) and some random blades for anyone who wants them.

I think I am set for Christmas presents for a couple of people ;)

Then yo get free shipping from West Coast I got some Lucky Tiger Shaving Cream and some of their dissappearing after shave cream to try. I didn't notice a scent to the shaving cream but the aftershave cream is heavily mentholated. Hopefully it clears my head out ;)

Thanks to this thread I'm now the proud owner of an Edwin Jagger DE89L and two nicely healing cuts on either side of my jaw bone. Not complaining, though... was the quickest way to break the pressure habit from my old cartridge razor and I've loved every shave since. Thanks OP! :mug:

hopefully you guys are still reading this.. I have tried all the new cartrige type new razors, I get terrible razor burn on my neck, was wondering if you guys that are trying these older style razors would have some advice for me. wondering if anyone else has the problem of their neck breaking out a day or so after a shave. I'll try anything so advice welcome

cheers

lex990 said:
hopefully you guys are still reading this.. I have tried all the new cartrige type new razors, I get terrible razor burn on my neck, was wondering if you guys that are trying these older style razors would have some advice for me. wondering if anyone else has the problem of their neck breaking out a day or so after a shave. I'll try anything so advice welcome

cheers

Switching to DE blades could help, and there are different blades you can they. Some are sharper than others. But technique also matters. Do you do against-the-grain passes? Personally, I can do them with no problem, but others say they can cause irritation. Also, be careful about stretching your face to shave. It seems to create a better surface, but can lead to in grown hairs (bumps).

lex990 said:

cheers

I only shave my head and not my face. I switched to DE or wet shaving partially because cartridges are so expensive, partially because they pull and dull quickly, but mostly for the experience. I used to get rash on the nape of my neck with cartridges. No more with DE.

Well my hair grows at such crappy angles I have to go somewhat against the grain to cut it with my Mach. I use nivea sensitive gel but have never used a soap and brush. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new de razor brush and soap kit and try that

Well my hair grows at such crappy angles I have to go somewhat against the grain to cut it with my Mach. I use nivea sensitive gel but have never used a soap and brush. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new de razor brush and soap kit and try that

I also have crazy angles on hair growth, it grows down from my jawline to midway on my neck at which it grows upward, cheeks grow sideways from my mouth towards my ears and upward above that.

The DE has helped greatly not just in quality of the shave but it helped me focus on the WHY I was getting burn, ingrown hairs and bumps.

going back to clean shave head & face looking for alt to mac 3... use soap & brush for lather now... + mac 3. saved some face... less rash. I think it's from the more natural soap... looking to try a good quality single blade wet shave. best recommend on ebay for new razor with DE. pref under $30 just to try... short handle?

blades should make a difference... any more suggestions? cheap & easy to find

I also have crazy angles on hair growth, it grows down from my jawline to midway on my neck at which it grows upward, cheeks grow sideways from my mouth towards my ears and upward above that.

The DE has helped greatly not just in quality of the shave but it helped me focus on the WHY I was getting burn, ingrown hairs and bumps.

mine too.
waiting until I go out for catfish to shave! helps with sun & wind burn.... may need to wait a few weeks after that trip to shave... just like a summer beard got a weird sun patch...

starrfish said:
going back to clean shave head & face looking for alt to mac 3... use soap & brush for lather now... + mac 3. saved some face... less rash. I think it's from the more natural soap... looking to try a good quality single blade wet shave. best recommend on ebay for new razor with DE. pref under $30 just to try... short handle?

blades should make a difference... any more suggestions? cheap & easy to find

Old Gillette Techs appear to be the best, reasonably priced starter DEs.

+1, particularly the few shaves since i chopped my goatee off. it was easy to shave my cheeks and neck (somewhat), but since i've had to start shaving the chin and lip area, i've made changes to my technique and it's improved the shave all around my face. i wasn't comfortable using my aggressive razors around the chin, so i went back to my trusty superspeed and am getting really nice shaves from it.

lol! looking a bit charlie manson-ish right now trying to decide where I want to go.... balding head needs a shave but digging longer wild man beard. former female co worker didn't recognize me with new facial foliage! NICE... did I win lotto? can vanish!!!!

starrfish said:
lol! looking a bit charlie manson-ish right now trying to decide where I want to go.... balding head needs a shave but digging longer wild man beard. former female co worker didn't recognize me with new facial foliage! NICE... did I win lotto? can vanish!!!!

You probably look like jeepin's twin.

Friday, my oldest called from college and said he wanted to visit the Russian sauna here, which we hadn't done since his ACL surgery 2 1/2 months ago. So I picked him up from campus we spent Friday night there.

It is the very best place to shave. Hours of intense heat, cold plunges, followed by more heat, and then shaving in the wet (Turkish style) sauna.

A few guys asked about my safety razor, so I told them about wet shaving. There was general consensus that the current high-tech razors are giant rip-offs. Told them to go to eBay.

I picked up my Tech for 9 dollars on ebay, and I love it!

Then I got a 4 pack of old DEs because there was a gillette NEW in the assortment, there was another tech and an old style as well.

there were other razors I picked up along the way but I keep going back to my first razor, That early gillitte tech, I get a fantastic shave from it.

Blades are not easy to figure out, every face and razor reacts differenty to different blades, I suggest getting a sample pack of blades and try them out, see which ones work best for you.

I still haven't started with my DE yet.

I've got two techs though... one of them a travel model. Even the normal models are really small, so I'm not sure why "travel" ones are even necessary, but I'm interested to see how the really short handle affects the shave.

Yes, learning to use a DE can help with a technique and the whys to getting ingrown hairs and irritation. I could go back to a cart and be fine but it would require multiple passes and it just doesn't 'feel right'.

Gave my dad the Schick Dial I got for him and he was happy! He was even more happy to find out he could find injector blades cheaper on the net!

Someone asked me to turn him some handles for his badger knots. Made me think of this thread and I thought y'all might like a peek.

I haven't glued the knots in yet - he only gave me 2 so he's got to pick his favorites. I've also got to turn one more from a gorgeous piece of gunstock walnut. I'm a little nervous about it :)

brushes1.jpg

brushes2.jpg

-Joe

Agreed, the stubby one is awesome. The one next to it is pretty nice too.

What are you going to do with the handle he decides against?

Thanks all! The guy provided me with the wood and knots, so I only charged him $15 each for labor and finishing materials. Using a wood I had in stock, probably $20-25 depending on the wood. More exotic woods would go up from there. Then plus whatever the price of the knot is.

I don't know what's going to happen with the ones he doesn't want. It's his wood, so we'll see what he wants to do.

-Joe

Before this morning, I hadn't shaved since Friday morning, just stayed around the house and worked on the truck and house. I was pumped for an awesome shave and the red Personnas (thanks Huskysibe) in the Tech didn't disappoint.

I bought my last knot, a 24mm super silvertip from thegoldennib.com. If you're thinking of having Joe turn a handle, this is an excellent place to buy the knots. I couldn't be happier with the quality of mine, at less than half the price of some other places.

jtkratzer said:
Before this morning, I hadn't shaved since Friday morning, just stayed around the house and worked on the truck and house. I was pumped for an awesome shave and the red Personnas (thanks Huskysibe) in the Tech didn't disappoint.

Your welcome! I love those things and get em from a guy on eBay for a great price. If your interested, pm me and I will give you his user name.

Last edited by a moderator:
FastAndy said:
Hey all, i'm pretty sure SWMBO is getting this for me for Christmas. Is it a decent setup or is she wasting her money? This will be my first gear for wet shaving so i'm not to sure of the differences in brushes, razors, blades etc.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur-Safety-Husband-Boyfriend/dp/B0010Y1KYA/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1322106923&sr=1-9

It's a Merkur and badger hair. The bowl is a plus. I'd say you couldn't go wrong there. I love my Merkur.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once, when I was younger, found an old razor in my house that looked like the above, and thought; "who could shave like this? What would I even use this for?!" It was my grandfather's razor, a man who flew combat missions during WWII and survived, a man who died before I could meet him. I found his initials engraved, scrawled on the head of the razor. That piece, above, brought back a tidal wave of memory!

I have a straight razor (now dull) that my grandfather used in barber school before he went off to WWII in a light infantry unit that saw action in the battle of the bulge and more. He was a a barber until the 70's when he passed. It is also engraved... wish he could have taught me how to sharpen it at use it! Mom has a pic of him giving a shave! (I know where my hairline comes from!) One day I will shave with it. Thought about putting it on my Lansky stone set. My uncle has his nicer stuff from his shop.

Definitely sharpen and polish that baby.

Is there anything better than an old-school meditative and relaxing shave that ALSO holds so much personal meaning?

I would send that straight out for a good honing, pick up a leather strap and you should be able to keep that freshly honed razor shave ready, watch some videos like the ones linked to in post 721, then take that straight for a spin around your face.

"Face, meet my grandpa's razor...."

My brother and dad loved their razors and kits!

Got my buddy a kit which he loved and said he got the best shave of his life from. Glad I could help! Now to get back into a normal schedule for me or at least one that involves a hot shower in the morning followed by a shave since being on the road made things a little difficult for that and then the hot water heater going out at my Grandmothers! (Plus i'll have my sink and a regular brush, not a small travel one that fits in a large pill bottle!)

this interests me, but i can let my face grow for like a month and then shave it by stepping outside into the wind.

I am sprouting some chest hair though. Makes me feel more manly.

Shaved with a Crystal this morning in the Tech. Nice, comfortable shave, smooth, no irritation.

I cleaned two of my razors last night with dish soap and a toothbrush, followed by an OxyClean soak, rinse, and boil.

How often do you clean them, once a month, every other week?

Back