Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of place do you send stuff to get plated? I have no idea. I'd love to have a gunmetal razor!

azscoob can probably tell you more, but there are a few vendors over at badgerandblade.com that do replating services. you also might be able to find someone locally who does it with things other than razors and they can usually accommodate you.

I simply sourced a local antique restorer, they do a lot of plating and other refurb work, for I dont know about gunmetal, but perhaps a nickle plating, then glass bead it to get the satin look?

This came today on a UPS truck. It's the mission-style brush holder from Amazon and it holds a razor on the back. The brush is a silvertip I bought from Andrew (android).

image-133670879.jpg

jtkratzer said:
This came today on a UPS truck. It's the mission-style brush holder from Amazon and it holds a razor on the back. The brush is a silvertip I bought from Andrew (android).

Link?

jtkratzer said:

That's pretty.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N2TIZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That's pretty.

Thanks. I'm looking for something comparable to hold a couple razors.

What are you all using for a shaving mug for a puck of soap? I have a bowl I use to whip up the lather, but I use it for cream and soap. I've just been working some soap into the brush from the plastic container the puck came in.

The wife commented about how my skin is looking better and she loves how smooth my face is. Very nice, high five!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N2TIZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks. I'm looking for something comparable to hold a couple razors.

What are you all using for a shaving mug for a puck of soap? I have a bowl I use to whip up the lather, but I use it for cream and soap. I've just been working some soap into the brush from the plastic container the puck came in.

The wife commented about how my skin is looking better and she loves how smooth my face is. Very nice, high five!

So I guess this means I wont be buying you out of your shave gear?? :D

azscoob said:
So I guess this means I wont be buying you out of your shave gear?? :D

Negetron. Still undecided about the Super Speed. I'm thinking the fat handle Tech and the Slim Adjustable might be all I need. I'm very pleased with the Tech and haven't tried the Slim yet, but I really like the weight of it. I'll probably give that a shot tomorrow.

Negetron. Still undecided about the Super Speed. I'm thinking the fat handle Tech and the Slim Adjustable might be all I need. I'm very pleased with the Tech and haven't tried the Slim yet, but I really like the weight of it. I'll probably give that a shot tomorrow.

Told ya you would like wet shaving with a DE!

nice little holder there... looks like the brush is blooming nicely!

Got all 3 razors today. Too are pretty much immaculate. The other's pretty dirty, but nothing that can't be solved.

android said:
nice little holder there... looks like the brush is blooming nicely!

It's nice. Is it supposed to be that bloomed out? I feel like if I actually swirl it around, I get lather on my entire head.

It feels great. I was expecting a rougher, more exfoliating feel, which would have been fine, but it's certainly better than the old way.

In post 643 you will see my straight and my old style gillette ABC (American Button Company) handled razor, after the patent ran out on that style gillette came up with the "new and improved safety razor" (commonly referred to as simply NEW), it used a slot in the blade to locate the blade instead of two posts like the old style. the head geometry was much improved giving a much better shave over the old ones.

They look like this example:
Gillette_NEW_03.jpg

azscoob said:
In post 643 you will see my straight and my old style gillette ABC (American Button Company) handled razor, after the patent ran out on that style gillette came up with the "new and improved safety razor" (commonly referred to as simply NEW), it used a slot in the blade to locate the blade instead of two posts like the old style. the head geometry was much improved giving a much better shave over the old ones.

They look like this example:

So... I'm thinking my army-issue khaki set is an ABC then. It's got the two posts as well.

When was the ABC ditched anyways? It might help me date the razor. Seller labeled it as WWI/WWII, but I had my doubts when buying it.

A bit of research has led me to make a best educated guess of it being from 1940, which would be great. But all I have to go on for this is the date code on the blade included with the kit. The razor itself has no serial number OR date code... which DOES give me a range of years, and it fits, but that's really it. Also, I haven't been able to verify that there even were open comb khaki razors in 1940 to begin with.

The ABC razors were a production run that had solid handles made by the American Button Company with varying degrees of frilly scrollwork on both the handles and the cases, if your razor has two posts locating the blade but it has a standard handle it is most likely an early model razor but not an ABC, is there any stampings on the head? I have a non-gillette old style made by some other manufacturer after the patent ran out, it has no markings at all but looks for all the world to be a gillette otherwise.

Do you have pics of the razor? I might be able to help identify it, or narrow down the production era.

azscoob said:
The ABC razors were a production run that had solid handles made by the American Button Company with varying degrees of frilly scrollwork on both the handles and the cases, if your razor has two posts locating the blade but it has a standard handle it is most likely an early model razor but not an ABC, is there any stampings on the head? I have a non-gillette old style made by some other manufacturer after the patent ran out, it has no markings at all but looks for all the world to be a gillette otherwise.

Do you have pics of the razor? I might be able to help identify it, or narrow down the production era.

It has the Gillette logo on the bottom, but nothing on the smooth convex top part of the head.

I'll take pictures when I can. I should probably clean it first.

Azscob, what'd I just buy (other than filthy razors that'll need some serious TLC)?

From the sellers description:

One is a Y1, it is marked 'Pat. Nos. on pkg. Reg. US Pat. Off. Gillette Y1 Made In USA'. It is 3 and 1/2" long, opens and closes as it should.

The other razor is a K2, the markings on this razor read 'Pat. Nos. on pkg. Reg. US Pat. Off. Gillette K2 Made in USA.' it is also 3 and 1/2" long, opens and closes fine. This razor features an adjustable dial, goes from 1-9, it clicks and turns smoothly.

I have an idea, I'd like to see if I'm right or way off base.

$(KGrHqZ,!hwE6Gb0BttqBOs2FfVubg~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!loE6BiwrEfQBOs2Fomt1!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!i0E6I-DczeOBOs2F)Q8ig~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!mIE6B1fBU5OBOs2F5Q75g~~60_3.JPG

Thanks Chef.

I apparently ID'd em right but was far from confident in the ID.

Now I'll have a fatboy, krona, superspeed, slim, tech and a lady gillette (the wife wanted to try DE shaving).

I do need to get a better brush. The tweezerman one is ok but I can tell it should be better.

The left one appears to be rubbish, I will PM you my address, send it to me for proper recycling. Remember SAVE THE PLANET!! :D

Of course. :D

It'll be interesting seeing what the actual condition of these are. If nothing else, polishing em up is kinda fun. I'd actually had both of these razors on the list - thought that these were what they are and paid a fair price.

Might hit an antique store this weekend and see if there are any open combs hiding out.

I need to give the Slim Adjustable a shot. I haven't shave with it yet and I haven't used the Super Speed (only two shaves) since I started using the '38 Tech.

For those of you with an assortment of razors, do you find that certain razors/blades are better for different beard growth? I don't really have any desire to collect or have 6 razors sitting on my bathroom sink. If there really is a difference in use/application like a tool, I can justify keeping a couple around. I have three, had 4, but I'm sending that heinous Fatboy back today, and I just don't like to have stuff/clutter laying around I don't use.

I need to give the Slim Adjustable a shot. I haven't shave with it yet and I haven't used the Super Speed (only two shaves) since I started using the '38 Tech.

For those of you with an assortment of razors, do you find that certain razors/blades are better for different beard growth? I don't really have any desire to collect or have 6 razors sitting on my bathroom sink. If there really is a difference in use/application like a tool, I can justify keeping a couple around. I have three, had 4, but I'm sending that heinous Fatboy back today, and I just don't like to have stuff/clutter laying around I don't use.

I have several razors and they all get rotated through as the primary shaver, I dont have any I find to be specialized for specific amounts of growth.

I should scratch that, if I get all Grizzly Adams I whip out the straight, that thing can mow down years of growth in one swipe.

agreed, the razors themselves don't seem all that different to me, i think the adjustables and the open comb ones are more aggressive, but with proper technique, you should be able to get a good shave with most any beard pattern with most razors. blades do matter IMHO, but there are plenty of good ones on the market. definitely a contentious thing, but most agree that certain blades are better than others.

resistance is futile, you will end up with 6-10 razors (at least).

Thanks Chef.

I apparently ID'd em right but was far from confident in the ID.

Now I'll have a fatboy, krona, superspeed, slim, tech and a lady gillette (the wife wanted to try DE shaving).

I do need to get a better brush. The tweezerman one is ok but I can tell it should be better.

I just went off the chart on wikipedia ;) I knew the models somehow, not the dates <_<.

I'm not an addict I Swear! (I only have two razors- for myself)

Anyone care to divulge their sources for blades? I feel like we need to sticky this thread, or at least get Gila to update his first post with all the links and resources people have suggested.

I have Amazon Prime and free two-day and $3.99 one-day shipping is nice for stuff that you want almost immediately. And they have a decent selection of just about anything you could imagine.

It's better than shopping at Walmart at 2 am for a bicycle, a deep fryer, fishing rod, prom dress, bird seed, yard fertilizer, engine coolant, tire patch, and frozen fried chicken.

There are a ton of blade choices there. I put a 105 blade sampler on my gift list. The Astra Superior Platinums are less than $15 for a 100. I'd like to try more blades before ordering more than 5-10 of one type.

I finally figured out that ABC, the angle I hold most of the DE's at a set angle, when I do the same with the ABC it looks like I was necking with a chainsaw.

I learned that I need to increase the angle so the blade edge isnt sitting perpendicular to my skin, the angle on the head is much less dramatic on the older razors.

I worked out a different grip on the handle so the angle sorta falls in place.... No more bleeding!

I've gotten blades from all over... bestshave.net is out of Turkey but I think I got 100 Astra SP's for $13. It took two weeks to get here but it got here and was what it was supposed to be.

I've gotten samplers or a bunch of single packs from WestCoastShaving for pure convenience. I've gotten single edged blades from WCS, Razorbladesandmore.com and also Razors Direct. Luckily I don't have a SE anymore ;)

If you know what you like, its a little easier to find the blades for less via ebay or amazon.

So a point in thrift... I read that Proraso makes the Omega cream, or rather just puts their product in an Omega tube then sell it for $7/instead of $10 or $12. I'll find out once my order shows up ;)

And, I just finished up my dad's Christmas present. A Schick Dial. He had one since he started shaving back in the early 70's. He doesn't remember if he bought it new or if my grandfather had used it for a bit prior to that. Anyways, after 40 some odd years of use it broke beyond repair. When he first told me it broke, I found some on ebay NOS for $30. Now a NOS is $$$$$$$$$. Ohwell, Live and learn. I hope I can clean up the one I got him a little better and I also hope he hasn't fallen in love the Fusion or whatever the new cart razor is...
SEE THE RAZOR HERE

nice chefjohn, he'll love it.

i also get blades from bestshave.net (good source for perma sharps), there are a few vendors over at B&B (i've never ordered from either, but lots of folks do):

dridiot (good source for feathers and a few other brands): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/101463-DrIdiot-s-Selling-Thread-Worldwide-Airmail

aneurysm (decent variety): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...des.-Sample-packs-and-high-end-Feather-razors

i've bought from amazon and ebay (gillette 7 o'clocks, personna labs, and a blade sampler a while back).

I took the straight for a spin tonight, crazy smoothe shave for sure!! I really need work on the different holds to get everywhere though, I have the neck and cheeks pretty OK, I gotta figure my way around the goatee with it though, I try but its sketchy at best. any good videos someone can point me to for this? if I were smoothe faced I would be in good shape. so for now I break out the DE for finishing touches and detail work.

Latest posts

Back