"Wet" dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
I dont know if this has been posted before but wanted to get everyones opinion. Can you boil a small amount of extract, along with hops, say 5 or 10 minutes, cool it, and then filter the hop junk out when you transfer to secondary? I recently bottled a batch that i dry hopped and it had a lot of hop particles floating around in it. My thought seems reasonable and im sure some of you have done something like this before. Any suggestions or other methods would be great, as I am dry hopping the two hearted clone on the recipe database, but might want to try a different method. Also as far as the extract goes, I just figure it would give a little sugar for the yeast to ferment and be kind of like a double fermentation. Thanks for any replies to this long post and questions.

Yes, you might try the French Press method. You don't get the same hop oil profile, though. Dry hopping retains the very lightest aroma oils that even a brief boil will drive off.

The easiest way to get no hop particles in your finished product is use whole leaf hop. Place them very loosely in a sock and put the sock in the secondary.
As David said even a partial boil will change the dynamic of the finished product. Dry hopping is primarily for the nose, adding hop florals to the finished product. Of course what you smell when you drink does influence the taste, and this is part of the benefit.

Back